Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

car turned off at a red light

Hi,

today when i was driving, my car just turned off. Without so much as a warning, the car simply turned off (the radio was still working after this happened). All i had to do was restart the car and it seemed fine after that, no engine light. Now has this happened to anyone else and do you think it would be a serious problem?

**update

Hi, thanks for those who have replied. i haven't driven the car over the weekend and today when i turned on the car, it idled really rough. I started backing up and felt something was seriously wrong. it got progressively worst so i put it in park. The engine light flashed on and off (twice) so i shut the car off. I turned it back on again and everything was fine. Could this be MAF as dr914jr described? thanks again

Edited by eason

Hi,

today when i was driving, my car just turned off. Without so much as a warning, the car simply turned off (the radio was still working after this happened). All i had to do was restart the car and it seemed fine after that, no engine light. Now has this happened to anyone else and do you think it would be a serious problem?

I think you are seeing the beginnings of a mass airflow sensor failure. Only time will tell.

Edited by dr914jr

Hi,

In Texas I find that cars usually speed up at red lights ......

Sorry -- couldn't resist.

M

Were you at a stop light or actually driving? Never had that happen while actually driving. I have had the car die a time or two at a stop light over the years. Is your driving a manual or tip?

All the best,

Bill :beer:

Hi Bill.

I was stuck at the red light, not driving when it had happened. all of a sudden, i recall some vibration and it just stopped. The engine shut off but the power in the car was still on (the radio etc was still on). Do you think it's the MAF as well? heard somewhere this type of thing could be fuel pump or something ~_~

Usually when a modern pump fails you'll notice a distinctive drop off in top end power as the pump begins to loose pressure. If the pump fails completely than you definitely would not be able to simply restart the car and drive off as if nothing happened.

When you get a flashing CEL, the rule is don't start and don't drive. Get it flatbedded to a dealer or a trusted mechanic and be prepared for something serious.

What I'd do first is get the codes read to see if I had a clue on what area was causing the problem before I figured out where I wanted to send the car. Codes are stored and can be read with the key in the accessories position. Either buy a code reader (Actron is a common brand) or borrow one from a friend. Post the codes here and people will tell you what they mean.

When you get a flashing CEL, the rule is don't start and don't drive. Get it flatbedded to a dealer or a trusted mechanic and be prepared for something serious.

What I'd do first is get the codes read to see if I had a clue on what area was causing the problem before I figured out where I wanted to send the car. Codes are stored and can be read with the key in the accessories position. Either buy a code reader (Actron is a common brand) or borrow one from a friend. Post the codes here and people will tell you what they mean.

the problem with my car is that the light wouldn't stay... LOL i don't know if that makes sense but the light merely flashed. It disappeared when i got my code reader ready. I plugged in the reader and it told me there was no code to be read....

A flashing CEL is usually an indication that the converters are going to be damaged if you continue to drive. I've only seen this once and it was on a 00 996 as the cylinder wall failed. The clown car plume of smoke coming from 1 tailpipe is also a fair indication that something may be amiss.

A flashing CEL is usually an indication that the converters are going to be damaged if you continue to drive. I've only seen this once and it was on a 00 996 as the cylinder wall failed. The clown car plume of smoke coming from 1 tailpipe is also a fair indication that something may be amiss.

uh oh....how would one diagnose this problem?