Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Flat Paint on a Porsche?

Looks great...we are going to be in the process of repainting our 98 986 in the next year and I have always thought about a 'flat' paint with a satin clear coat. I thinks it sets the car apart. I am thinking about a hybrid of sliver/gun metal as the original color is Artic Silver Met. with the top being black with a black leather interior. It would be easy to maintain not show allot of road dirt and be completely different from every other 986 of that vintage.

:)

I recently had the car painted and I snapped a few pictures of it before they applied the layers of clear.

I almost had them leave the flat blue on it but chickened out at the last second.

Anyone here like it?

-Ben

Have to see it in person -- but it looks pretty cool with the pictures....

What did a complete paint job run you?

m

It was very close in person to the way it looks in the pictures. In fact I may have even liked it better in person.

A friend of mine does paint and he did it for me. I gave him some cash on the side and paid for all the supplies. I think I paid around $700-800 in just supplies. He even had some of the stuff left over from a previous job that I didn't have to pay for. I think he said he would normally charge around 4K for a job like the one he did.

Although I would never do it... I have to admit it looks pretty freakin cool..

Just one question though.. Why is the car being painted with the bumper covers on it? Flame me if it wasn't...

Edited by phillipj

Although I would never do it... I have to admit it looks pretty freakin cool..

Just one question though.. Why is the car being painted with the bumper covers on it? Flame me if it wasn't...

I know, I wanted to strip the whole thing down and paint her. One of my friends has paint booth and we did it at his place. We will be tearing some of her apart at a later date and playing some more!

The paint on the car was perfect but some lady pulled into a parking spot and bumped the front bumper while I was getting a haircut and it pushed it into a pole. Needless to say I had to paint the front and rear bumpers so we ended up doing the whole car.

The military doesn't pay me enough to have everything done at a shop so I try to do as much on my own as I can!

Thats why i'm so great full places like Renntech exist! You guys have probably saved me 5 grand over the past month or so!!

Either way the paint turned out beautiful!

I recently had the car painted and I snapped a few pictures of it before they applied the layers of clear.

I almost had them leave the flat blue on it but chickened out at the last second.

Anyone here like it?

-Ben

That looks absolutely great, don't be a chicken next time someone rams your car into a light pole. I've always thought if I got a hardtop for my boxster, I would paint it flat black - to match the fabric top. Check out the RUF CTR3 in flat matte gray in the Dec 2008 issue of Excellence if you don't think flat paint looks good - it will change your mind.

Kevin