Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

A New Hack Question

I just got back from 1+ weeks in Europe. Drove a Mercedes (diesel) station wagon on the Autobahn. One nice features was that if you just touched the turn signal lever and released it, the turn signal would automatically blink 3 times then stop. Holding it any longer than just a quick moment and it would work just like you would expect

The question: is there a replacement turn signal relay that would give the automatic 3 blink functionality for the turn signal? Maybe an Audi relay or something? Do any Porsches have this functionality?

I actually found it pretty useful for passing traffic on the Autobahn, and figured it would be handy at home on my car as well.

I think the flasher relay part number is 1H0 953 227, and it's an old, cheap, generic relay used in lots of European cars, I figured there's probably an enhanced version of the relay that does the smart 3 blink trick (just like replacing the wiper relay with an updated VW/Audi part gives you a cheap, variable intermittent wiper enhancement hack)

Anybody try this before, or know of some master relay cross reference guide that will help me figure out if such a relay exists?

"I'm going too fast to need signals" and "tends to bring unwanted attention"

You have got to be kidding me? The turn signals are there for a reason.....TO BRING ATTENTION AS TO YOUR INTENTIONS. Quickest way to get into an accident is to drive fast and not use turn signals.

Not telling you how to drive but that is just the dumbest explanation for turn signals I have ever heard.

Be safe. :drive:

:soapbox: Hey, this is supposed to be RennTech.org, "a place for Technical Porsche Discussion." I could have gone to one of the more socially oriented boards for a discussion of the relative merits of using turn signals

Loren, Tool Pants, anyone else - does anyone know the answer to my question, or have any suggestions of where I can get technical information on equivalent relays with the desired functionality?

• Moderators

I did not know the Cayenne had this feature. I wonder if there is something like it on the 997.

Next time I see Peter I will ask if we can get this feature with something as simple as a Cayenne relay/flasher swap that is a direct plug into the 986/996 relay tray. Right now I cannot even find a part number for the Cayenne flasher, just the 986/996.

I didn't bother looking into the Cayenne since I assumed with it's trailer towing ability there would be lots of differences in the relays (e.g., to support trailer lighting, etc.). With so many VW/Audi electrical parts (and probably some BMW and Mercedes), I initially thought of them.

• 2 weeks later...

Jeff - thanks for the update.

I found the 2004 Audi S4 also does the three-flash when you momentarily hit the turn signal, so next time I'm at the dealer I'll ask how Audi accomplishes the triple blink. With more and more controlled by computers in various components (e.g., instrument cluster), I don't have high expectations for a simple solution.

• 9 years later...

See http://www.uspmotorsports.com/TurnSignalComfortModule/TripleBlink-VWMK4-B5-.html

It's been a while and memory is hazy, but I did get this to work on my New Beetle, although the application chart does not list it. The basic difference IIRC is that that car had different wire colors than the rest, but a little research revealed all functions are the same.

Perhaps someone could adapt this to the 986.

http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/Convenience_Turn_Signal_Instructions.pdf

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Those look like great links. I found this...

http://e31wiki.org/wiki/One-touch_turn_signal_module

My Magnum has this feature, and since it seems to be a vote at this point, I love it and miss it on other cars.

• 4 months later...