Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Bad Experience With 2.5l Boxster 97-99 ??

Hello,

I would be interested in buying a 2.5l boxster built 1997-99

Are there any known problems e.g. with the engine or the gearbox especially with cars being driven many miles (more than 50000)

Did you have problems with corrosion?

How much fuel does the car need?

Thanks for your answers.

Best regards

starkle

Sometimes with the engine:

http://www.pca.org/tech/tech_qa_question.a...D-BB4F445F5A8F}

The fuel tank size increased in 1999 from 15.3 to 17.2 gallons in the US. How much fuel it needs depends on how empty the tank is :P

For all years, there are some options that are near impossible to add or very expensive (factory keyless entry). Probably best to look for a car that has all the options you want.

Good Luck!

Larez2

Edited by larez2

The 2.5 is a very sturdy [MY97- 137,000] motor, except for a few motors which were built in [98 - early 99] mentioned above.

You can also check with PCNA with the VIN and they supposedly know [but this is coming from the people who deny ever doing it - go figure].

BTW- 10 years unlimited mileage corrosion protection.

Your questions are very broad, you should read a few forums and check a couple Boxsters out, and then with specific concerns ask ???

Good Luck,

Scott

I just got my 97 with some miles on it (80k). The car drives great. In fact a friend of mine with a 2003 liked the sound and the drive better then his. I totally recommend it. Do not think you will buy the car and spend no money. I look at this as my hobbie now.

I thought about buying the car the night I drove it... did not need more tips, suggestions, all you have to do is drive it once...

i would get a 2000 boxster S if i were you. bigger engine, bigger brakes, better suspension, more HP, etc. i have a '97 and have wanted the extras a boxster S provides. unfortunately, they didn't exist until 2000...

the price should be within a few thousand dollars of what you'd pay for a 1999 model, especially since the new boxsters have been introduced. i imagine many older models will be turned in, etc.

not that there's anything wrong with a non-S model... i love mine. just would be nice to have the extras, since they are expensive to add after-the-fact.

as far as fuel, i find mileage is very good if you drive like an older grandparent. :P

but if you really step on it, you can literally watch your gauge plummet. it all depends on how you drive.

as far as corrosion, i have not heard of ANY problems in this area.

make sure you know which options you want before you buy one. there are many used boxsters out there, and you can pretty much expect to get the color, options, etc. that you want.

good luck!

I have a 98 with 80K. The car is fun to drive and work on. I have had several of the problems listed in this site and they have been relatively easy and inexpensive to fix with the guidance of Mr Toolpants and his gang of merry men.

I haven’t noticed any corrosion and the gas mileage seems ok, but it does use the expensive stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought my boxster in 1998 new and it now has 60k miles on it with no problems at all apart from a leaking rad caused by myself.

Its been upgraded since then... sure there some horror stories out there but you find that will all cars. I drive my car "HARD" and i mean hard.. i cant help shooting through the gears for the engine notes everytime.

post-3353-1098391259_thumb.jpg

I have 97 with 55K miles and have had no issues....love the car....I added a B&M short shifter, a 2000yr shifter knob and in-dash porsche cup holders...that along with the sport 17" wheel package and most people think it is a new one....

This is my 65th car and by far my favorite (even over my alfas & jag....)Easy to work on and even more fun to drive.....Mine has the 2.5 engine which for me is good...any more engine and I would be in jail for excessive speeding....