Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

More power from a 2008 997s with PSE

I am trying to increase the power of my S while retaining warranty drivability and my PSE. Does anyone have any sugestions? I would like to accomplish at least 385hp but more is always better. Is there a way to do this without hemoraging cash? Also can you effectively use cold air intake, plenium, headers and sport cats with the PSE or does it negate the gains. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

You will have to check with your dealer regarding what will void your warranty. Techically anything aftermarket on your car voids the warranty.

And yes if you want more HP you are going to hemmorage cash... :o

You can get added gains by changing to aftermarket headers, cats and mufflers and flashing the chip. You can get the X-51 airbox, throttle body and intake manifolds. All This is going to cost you around $10k with labor. Porsche will say your engine was not designed to be reliable with this extra HP so they will say "too bad" if your engine expires. :o

You can have the "X-51power kit" installed by your dealer for about $25k. That will get you 25hp (rather sadistic i think). :P

In my financial opinion you would be better off driving this one for awhile then upgrading to the 997-2 "S" which has 385 hp. or get an 07" GT3 (415hp.) Prices are getting very tempting for those right now... B)

You will never catch up with the HP disease. You can get a Turbo and make as much HP as you want.

Edited by phillipj

You can get a Turbo and make as much HP as you want.

Philip J, are the turbos reliable or grenades waiting to go off? Just curious, the dealer has a 08 GT2 with 10k miles. Is the GT2 bearable on the street or are they too brutal for daily driving? Also on a sidenote to paul speed, called suncoast 10,110 + labor for x-51 kit, in addition they have 2 remanufactured x-51 motors, including intake and throttle body at 8750 a piece, I would jump but my motor is too new to remove or internally modify so I'm passing the info on. Thanks Randy

Yes the Turbos are actually more trouble free than the M96 engines. The Turbo and Gt3 engines are a different design. As for the GT2 I have never driven one. But a rear wheel drive Turbo 500 hp Porsche sounds pretty fun to me!!! :drive:

Enjoy your car and lets see what Porsche comes up with for the 998...... :thumbup:

The GT2 is insane. It's a frightening car. Some call it "the widow maker." You can very easily get sideways in a car like that, so be careful. However, it is more easily a daily car than a GT3, some say.

In terms of adding power, you can add a SuperCharger (wave your warrantee goodbye) and get an add'l 110-140hp, or do the new TPC single turbo and you can expect 450RWHP, which is more than a 997TT.

CATTMAN

The GT2 is insane. It's a frightening car. Some call it "the widow maker." You can very easily get sideways in a car like that, so be careful. However, it is more easily a daily car than a GT3, some say.

In terms of adding power, you can add a SuperCharger (wave your warrantee goodbye) and get an add'l 110-140hp, or do the new TPC single turbo and you can expect 450RWHP, which is more than a 997TT.

CATTMAN

Can the 2008 997s stock 3.8 block, pistons, rings, crank and connecting rods hold up to the additional pressure when the motor is running 11.8-1+- stock compression? Is the motor that substantially overbuilt that it can handle 6 or more addional psi and not blow up? Has anyone in the forum had good long term results with one, (good engine life and no check engine lights or other strange quirks?) Also what is easier on the motor, Turbo or super? I've heard that the Superchargers are more linear in their power delivery, but I have no first hand experience with high end turbos or any supercharger.

Also thanks for the advice on the GT2, still sounds like fun for my right foot.

Ruf has a supershcarger for approx $25,000. Comes with a 2 year warranty. The Ruf package would add to the vaule of your 997 - not so sure about the other supechargers? However, that puts you into the used GT3 market territory. With the PASM suspension, the GT3 can be used as a daily driver.

Here is a thread on a supercharger on a 996.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...=30399&st=0

This might get you thinking.

Paul

Yeh, I don't like the sound of that.

Has anyone inthe forum ported and polished their heads and throttle bodies yet or are they already close enough to not need it.

The Ruf system sounds good untill you hear the price.

Thanks Again Randy

Yeh, I don't like the sound of that.

Has anyone inthe forum ported and polished their heads and throttle bodies yet or are they already close enough to not need it.

The Ruf system sounds good untill you hear the price.

Thanks Again Randy

Just enjoy the car and get a new a new one in the future. For the money the GT3 is the way to go...And you don't have to do anything to it... Rebuilding your engine is waste of money for what you get out of it. Not to mention mods hurt your resale value...

Just enjoy the car and get a new a new one in the future. For the money the GT3 is the way to go...And you don't have to do anything to it... Rebuilding your engine is waste of money for what you get out of it. Not to mention mods hurt your resale value...

Good Advice, thanks to all that contributed.

Randy

I am trying to increase the power of my S while retaining warranty drivability and my PSE. Does anyone have any sugestions? I would like to accomplish at least 385hp but more is always better. Is there a way to do this without hemoraging cash? Also can you effectively use cold air intake, plenium, headers and sport cats with the PSE or does it negate the gains. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Try x-51 headers, AWE Cats, X-51 Air box and some software.

I have AWE Headers and Cats, Remus Mufflers, X-51 airbox, APR software, IPD Plenum, and a slightly modified Throttle body. I have never put the car on a dyno but I really enjoy the difference. My guess 25-40HP.

Try x-51 headers, AWE Cats, X-51 Air box and some software.

I have AWE Headers and Cats, Remus Mufflers, X-51 airbox, APR software, IPD Plenum, and a slightly modified Throttle body. I have never put the car on a dyno but I really enjoy the difference. My guess 25-40HP.

Just remember you will say goodbye to your warranty if you make these mods.. B) Anything "non-Porsche" will techically void your warranty.

Edited by phillipj

Just remember you will say goodbye to your warranty if you make these mods.. B) Anything "non-Porsche" will techically void your warranty.

Phillip:

That is not technically correct. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty act puts the burden on the company denying a warranty claim to show that the aftermarket part is sub-par or that it actually caused the problem complained of.

Of course, all dealers and OEM's want you to believe otherwise.

Regards, Maurice.

Phillip:

That is not technically correct. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty act puts the burden on the company denying a warranty claim to show that the aftermarket part is sub-par or that it actually caused the problem complained of.

Of course, all dealers and OEM's want you to believe otherwise.

Regards, Maurice.

Good to know...Thanks Maurice. But I know that some dealers have not honered warranties where the DME has been flashed by after market software.

Good to know...Thanks Maurice. But I know that some dealers have not honered warranties where the DME has been flashed by after market software.

Phillip:

I have worked on a few cases that involve automobile warranties, and I still don't know if the dealers know the law and spread this common misconception around or if they truly don't know and are acting innocently.

In the case of Porsche dealers I am reasonably confident that they know exactly what they are doing, although they may be deliberately misinforming their techs, etc...

If it wasn't for that federal law, we'd be in a lot worse shape!

Regards, Maurice.

• 4 weeks later...

It may be cheaper to contact a company like FVD , Speedart or Techart for a performance header and ECU remap. Following this upgrade revised cams can be considerd from 9FF. Engine rebuilds are costly and parts expensive so if you can live with moderate gains from headers and ECU remaps you will get better value for money.

Check this thread - I think of all aftermarket mods this one will give you best power boost possible.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997/192...y-soon-p-2.html