Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

TPMS

I recently purchased a winter wheel and tire package including the tire pressures sensors from a Porsche dealer. I followed the instuctions in the owners manual , but can't get them to work. Any thoughts?

This is the part number given to me by the dealer # 98704460050. Does anyone know what this part number is or can you lead me to a source that would know? Hopefully a mistake hasn't been made and the set shipped without the sensors.

TIA,

Charlie

Did you already have TPMS turned on in your car?

Did you set the tire and wheel size in the NAV display?

I have a 2008 boxster. I did try to get it to recognize the new wheels through the Nav. I talked to my local dealer today and was told the sensors would most likely have to be synchronized the the unit in the car.

I also found a TSB on this site that states Porsche has changed the sensors I think beginning with 2009 and you have to change to the older style at your expense.

If this is true it amazes me, how can you purchase something new it not work and then get charged for it.

I'll post again after I visit my local dealer in a couple weeks.

Thanks again for responding,

Charlie

• 1 month later...

I beleive TPMS can be retro fitted like most options. It will be very expensive though. Not only do you need the wheel sensors (which require the tyres to be removed to be fitted) , but you also need the 4 reciever units , plus wiring back to the control module and the control module itself to be installed. Then you will need a few hours with a PWIS unit at a local independant (porsche wont retro fit items for you ) to get the TPMS fuinction coded and enabled.

Would be cheaper and less hassle to buy a tire pressure gauge and a spare wheel from a 996 (17 inch space saver) from a car dismantlers. The tyre fits in the front luggage compartment of a 997 and is just shy of the same rolling radius of the original 997 wheel. I have this solution in my 987 boxster (same luggage compartment as the 997 2S) and still have space for luggage when on holiday.

That's an interesting option. You don't happen to have a picture of it sitting in you trunk do you? It seems that it would take up 40-50% of the trunk space?

Takes up very little space surprisingly.

IMG_8881.jpg

I can still carry a decent sized suitcase in the front compartment.

IMG_9350.jpg

This is how you need to carry the removed wheel in a boxster if you have a passenger.

IMG_9346.jpg

A rubber mat and bungee chords hold the wheel in place. You are limited to 40 mph with hte space saver anyway.

FWIW, I went with an even cheaper idea by buying a scissor jack ($15 at Walmart, Mr Goodwrench), a cheapo lug wrench ($9 at Walmart), and a tire repair plug kit. Since the 987s come with an electric air pump, I figure that I could fix the tire on the side of the road good enough to get me to a shop to buy a new tire or to have the tire professionally patched. I don't have the multiple CD changer so all my tire repair stuff is tucked into that compartment.

Regards,

paul...

Edited by paulv

Thanks for the pictures. Where can you buy the trunk mat & bungie set-up? I guess you have to be carefull not to dent the trunk lid.

Bungee chords can be bought at most hardware shops. You probably need to buy shorter chords rather than longer and ideally get ones that have plastic rather than metal hooks. The chord itself passes under the trunk lid so it doesnt damage the rubber seal. The rubber mat is something i made up myself, there are a few products on the market such as leatherette padded sheet usually found in fabric / homeware shops for covering chairs or acting as a table cover. The other material I've seen is a rubberised mesh sold as non slip matting in most hardware and auto accessory shops. Yes you do need to be careful laying the wheel on the trunk lid to ensure you dont dent it, but its quicker and cleaner than trying to plug a hole which you may not even be able to see. I agree these instant fix plug kits seem effective , though I've no confidence that my repair would be as good as a tyre fitter. Not all punctures can be repaired.

................................... Yes you do need to be careful laying the wheel on the trunk lid to ensure you dont dent it, but its quicker and cleaner than trying to plug a hole which you may not even be able to see. I agree these instant fix plug kits seem effective , though I've no confidence that my repair would be as good as a tyre fitter. Not all punctures can be repaired.

Totally agree, but I was considering the probabilities of getting a puncture that I can't see/fix. I was essentially looking for an alternative to pumping that green sealing goop that comes with the car.

Regards,

paul...