Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Stalling when engine hot - no code

I don't live near a Porsche dealer and my otherwise reliable 2.7l 2001 Boxster (97k miles) has a serious problem. After driving for about 25 minutes, the engine will shut off, all the idiot lights will turn on, and I will have to find a convenient place to coast toward. If I wait about an hour, the car will restart and again run fine until it stalls again. It had an MAF code (which I ignored for a while) and I replaced the MAF, but this didn't stop the stalling issue. Now it's not kicking out any engine codes. My only option is to drive 6 hours to a dealer - is there anything inexpensive I can try to replace?

Does it not restart immediately?

If not the next time it stalls undo the petrol filler cap - then refit immediately - then try to restart - I am thinking along the lines that the fuel tank breather is blocked and it vaccums until the pump cannot overcome the vaccum - then after stalling and waiting an hour the vaccum has dissipated allowing fuel to be pumped again

I don't live near a Porsche dealer and my otherwise reliable 2.7l 2001 Boxster (97k miles) has a serious problem. After driving for about 25 minutes, the engine will shut off, all the idiot lights will turn on, and I will have to find a convenient place to coast toward. If I wait about an hour, the car will restart and again run fine until it stalls again. It had an MAF code (which I ignored for a while) and I replaced the MAF, but this didn't stop the stalling issue. Now it's not kicking out any engine codes. My only option is to drive 6 hours to a dealer - is there anything inexpensive I can try to replace?

Might be a dying fuel pump. When they start to die, they fail first when they are hot; once cooled, they work again till hot, and then die again.

Might be a dying fuel pump. When they start to die, they fail first when they are hot; once cooled, they work again till hot, and then die again.

Thanks - I'd thought about the fuel pump. Is there any easy way for my mechanic to test it, or should I just replace it and see if it works?

Well if the removing the gas cap doesn't work, then the next time it dies, you could check the fuel pump is working

properly. You're mechanic can do a fuel pressure check. You can also check to see

if the fuel relay switch is engaged (one of the relays in the cabin drivers side).

If it won't start, and the relay is not firing, than you can jumper the relay and get the pump

to run (if it will).

a good mechanic should be able to determine the state of the fuel pump assuming that he can

capture the failure mode.

mike

Thanks - I'd thought about the fuel pump. Is there any easy way for my mechanic to test it, or should I just replace it and see if it works?

• 11 months later...
  • 5 years later...
  • 2 months later...