Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Engine wont turn on first attempt.

Hi guys, Im running a 2004 "S" manual UK car with 22000 miles on the clock. I have had trouble free motoring for the past 2 years. My problems started a few months ago when i started my car after a week sat in the rain. As i was pulling away in first gear the airbag light and interior light and passenger door light came on. After restarting the car the lights went away. This happened 2 or 3 more times early November and has not reoccurred since. I am now however experiencing difficulty starting the car every time i go to use it. On the inital turn of the key the starter wont even engage. If I turn off the ignition and try to restart it starts straight away. Sorry for the long post guys but im new to all this and would appreciate any light you may be able to throw on the problem.

Thanks in advance...

Hi guys, Im running a 2004 "S" manual UK car with 22000 miles on the clock. I have had trouble free motoring for the past 2 years. My problems started a few months ago when i started my car after a week sat in the rain. As i was pulling away in first gear the airbag light and interior light and passenger door light came on. After restarting the car the lights went away. This happened 2 or 3 more times early November and has not reoccurred since. I am now however experiencing difficulty starting the car every time i go to use it. On the inital turn of the key the starter wont even engage. If I turn off the ignition and try to restart it starts straight away. Sorry for the long post guys but im new to all this and would appreciate any light you may be able to throw on the problem.

Thanks in advance...

Check on this forum for ignition switch replacement. That's definitely your problem.

Yes, two types. The older or original ones are black, and have an Audi/VW part number, Porsche no longer sells them, and the new style that is white. Not sure of the changeover year, you could pop out the heat duct over the driver's feet, and look up at the switch. The switch is on the forward end of the portion where you stick the key in, the elecrical part at the end will either be black or white. The two electrical portions are not interchangable.

The other thing that jumps to mind

since you mentioned rain is the drains got clogged and water got in under the passenger's seat (UK) and shorted out the alarm control unit. I'd be inclined to suspect that even more than the ignition switch since the symptoms track the rain report and the alarm lights.

You'll have trouble debugging because the wet may have dried by now leaving just a bit of corrosion between the wires going into the unit and the control unit itself.

The rear drains are the suspects.

Cheers Mike, I have been aware of the control box problem for some time after reading a number of posts on the subject. I always check under the seat and have never found it to feel wet. I also maintain the drain holes so fingers crossed I wont suffer this problem. Is there anything you can do to safeguard the control box ie(waterproof it) as prevention is obviously better than cure.

Thanks again.....Kenny