Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

multiple electrical problems. please help !

I think everything is connected though... instrument cluster wont show mileage nor any info and needles don't work, windows wont go up or down, spoiler wont got stuck up and cant go down... all relays are ok.. does it have a seperate ecu for those parts? please help !

2000 porsche boxster

thanks

I think everything is connected though... instrument cluster wont show mileage nor any info and needles don't work, windows wont go up or down, spoiler wont got stuck up and cant go down... all relays are ok.. does it have a seperate ecu for those parts? please help !

2000 porsche boxster

thanks

Whenever seemingly unrelated weird electrical gremlins show up, the first thing to do is to try to rule out the ignition switch. It's an easy DIY if you are small and flexible, and the part is only around $10.00 if you get it mail order (e.g., Autohausaz.com).

Some of the window functions are controlled by or through the central alarm control unit under the driver's seat, so you might want to check whether the small fuse that is located on the rear of the unit is good and whether the unit got wet. If there is water under there, check and clear your convertible top drains as well.

Regards, Maurice.

what would be ruling out the ignition switch? I will check on the fuse on the control unit under the seat.. but the car starts right up.. no battery problem whatsoever. once started or even before you start it there is no info on the instrument gauge. and all the other problems.. the weird thing is that it all went down together.. so may guess is that it is one single problem... thanks for the input guys any more ideas would be great.

Edited by mmeza82

what would be ruling out the ignition switch? I will check on the fuse on the control unit under the seat.. but the car starts right up.. no battery problem whatsoever. once started or even before you start it there is no info on the instrument gauge. and all the other problems.. the weird thing is that it all went down together.. so may guess is that it is one single problem... thanks for the input guys any more ideas would be great.

The easiest way to rule out the ignition switch is to replace it, since it's only about $10 and takes less than 20 minutes to DIY.

That is not the way I like to diagnose problems in general, but in this case it makes sense, especially since these switches are so prone to failure. If you read the threads on the electrical switch in this forum, you will see that it is almost always a whole bunch of seemingly unrelated issues going all at once. Since this is what happened to you, it might be worth a shot.

You could replace the switch and keep the old one as a spare.

If that solves one of all your gremlins, excellent. If not, you have eliminated one common trouble spot on Boxsters as a possible source.

BTW, did you find any moisture or water in or around the control unit under the seat?

Keep us posted.

Regards, Maurice.

Thanks for your help Maurice, Ill buy one from pelicanparts, I dont know if it has anything to do but when i switch the key the circles do light up.. abs airbag check engine light etc. The control unit was dry.. so probably not that. I checked the car with durametrics today and it says it cant connect to the instrument cluster...

thanks again

Mauricio M.

pd we got the same name in different languages. lol

Thanks for your help Maurice, Ill buy one from pelicanparts, I dont know if it has anything to do but when i switch the key the circles do light up.. abs airbag check engine light etc. The control unit was dry.. so probably not that. I checked the car with durametrics today and it says it cant connect to the instrument cluster...

thanks again

Mauricio M.

Mauricio:

I've been called worse! LOL!!!

I forgot to mention that another telltale sign of an ignition switch on its way to failing is the lack of a distinctive "thud" or "clunk" when you are pulling the key out of the ignition. Sometimes that thud or clunk will be delayed for a split second instead of no sound at all. When the ignition switch is in good shape, that sound can be heard very distinctly when you pull out the key.

Regards, Maurice.

thanks again

Mauricio M.

Mauricio:

I forgot to mention that another telltale sign of an ignition switch on its way to failing is the lack of a distinctive "thud" or "clunk" when you are pulling the key out of the ignition. Sometimes that thud or clunk will be delayed for a split second instead of no sound at all. When the ignition switch is in good shape, that sound can be heard very distinctly when you pull out the key.

Regards, Maurice.

seems to be in very good shape... does anyone have a fuse diagram for the 2000 boxster? thant could help a lot. fuses and relays.

thanks

• Admin

thanks again

Mauricio M.

Mauricio:

Regards, Maurice.

seems to be in very good shape... does anyone have a fuse diagram for the 2000 boxster? thant could help a lot. fuses and relays.

thanks

The should be a fuse diagram on the back of your fuse door cover.

yes.. its been disconnected several times..

ive scanned it today with durametrics

the following codes came up but none of them seems to have anything to do with the cluster or electrical issues.

p1474

p0453

p0447

p0343

p0134

p1670

where can i get a electrical diagram for the injection and sensors ?

thanks

• Admin

P0134 Oxygen Sensor Ahead of TWC, Bank 1 – Interruption of Signal

P0343 Camshaft Position Sensor 1 – Above Limit

P0447 EVAP Canister Shutoff Valve (Output Stage) – Open Circuit

P0453 Tank Pressure Sensor – Above Limit

P1670 Electric Change-over Valve, Variable-Length Manifold (Output Stage) – Above Limit

These are very different problems - I think you need to find a shop that can sort out what is going on with this car.