Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2003 C4S Oil Pressure Sending unit

2003 C4S once and a while the oil pressure goes to zero and i get the beep and warning on the dash,then it goes back to normal,does it a few times in a row then it may not do it for weeks,i have heard of this problem before from others,should i just change the sending unit?

Thanks

Albert

This is exactly what was happening to me on my 2003 996 c2. I got the sender unit replaced and no more issues. It is scary when it says oil pressure failure and the pressure goes to rock bottom. Get the sender replaced. Have them hook up a manual guage to see if it is trully the sender thats the problem. 99% sure its probably your sender unit

2003 C4S once and a while the oil pressure goes to zero and i get the beep and warning on the dash,then it goes back to normal,does it a few times in a row then it may not do it for weeks,i have heard of this problem before from others,should i just change the sending unit?

Thanks

Albert

Here is the tools that makes this simple. A 19mm Crowfoot wrench. Use this with a 3/8" universal, extension and socket wrench and the removal is simple.

Jack up the car, put in a jackstand, remove rear right wheel, slide the crows foot wrench in from the bottom, you need the universal to get the wrench on due to the angles around the spark plug shield. A little twist on the socket wrench and it loosens right up. the just spin it out from the top, spin the new one on and tighten it down with the crowfoot. Really easy and fast.

Got the crowfoot at NAPA, here is a link

http://www.napaonline.com/NOLPPSE/(S...cf19m&Ntk=Part Number&N=0&Nty=1&D=ncf19m&Dn=0&Dk=1&Dp=3

Probably available from other sources. Made the job incredibly easy.

post-7011-1263355016_thumb.jpg

post-7011-1263355039_thumb.jpg

Here is the tools that makes this simple. A 19mm Crowfoot wrench. Use this with a 3/8" universal, extension and socket wrench and the removal is simple.

Jack up the car, put in a jackstand, remove rear right wheel, slide the crows foot wrench in from the bottom, you need the universal to get the wrench on due to the angles around the spark plug shield. A little twist on the socket wrench and it loosens right up. the just spin it out from the top, spin the new one on and tighten it down with the crowfoot. Really easy and fast.

Got the crowfoot at NAPA, here is a link

http://www.napaonline.com/NOLPPSE/(S...cf19m&Ntk=Part Number&N=0&Nty=1&D=ncf19m&Dn=0&Dk=1&Dp=3

Probably available from other sources. Made the job incredibly easy.

post-7011-1263355016_thumb.jpg

post-7011-1263355039_thumb.jpg

• 10 months later...

I'm experiencing the same failure in my 03 C2. I was planning a service trip to the dealership soon anyway, 2 questions: 1) any idea what the dealers charges to replace the sending unit. 2) Am I safe to drive it there, the nearest dealer is 70 miles away, just nervous about driving 70 miles with the oil pressure gauge dropping out... Thanks.

• Admin

I'm experiencing the same failure in my 03 C2. I was planning a service trip to the dealership soon anyway, 2 questions: 1) any idea what the dealers charges to replace the sending unit. 2) Am I safe to drive it there, the nearest dealer is 70 miles away, just nervous about driving 70 miles with the oil pressure gauge dropping out... Thanks.

:welcome:

Other than being hard to get a wrench on - it couldn't be easier.

You just unscrew the sensor and disconnect the two wires. Put the new one in and attach the wires.

If you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself - then don't let a dealer charge more than 1 hour labor for this simple task.

• 3 years later...

thanks to all for this comprehensive thread.

This is indeed my problem, and I'll get it taken care of soon.

Important to note that the warning message and oil can image is on the computer screen. There is no red oil pressure failure or yellow cel light.

I'm calling the friends up at Sunset on Monday. The search engine is your good friend here.

Cheers,