Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Intermittent wiper switch/rheostat

2000 C4 - my intermittent wipers will not vary with the dial/rheostat. It wipes about every 6 seconds. Does this mean the rheostat dial is bad? If so - is there a way to remove/replace that rheostat without removing the dashboard?

Take a padded butter knife or some other plastic flat tool and pry the trim piece off that contains the dial and the three switches or switch plugs above the dial. It should pull off with little effort. Mine comes off with my fingers once you get behind it a little bit.

Your Carrera may have a horse shoe that wraps around the AC and radio. My boxster doesn't. In any case you only need access to the back of the dial to remove.

Once away from the dash grab the electric harness by the plug (not wires) and pull straight out. That leaves two verticle black plastic pieces on the outer edge. Place your fingers inside these verticle pieces and gently push both outward on both at the same time. The dial will release toward the front.

If you need photos let me know.

The intermittent wiper relay is in the bank of relays to the right of the black fuse box by the driver's left foot. Second row of relays from the bottom, furthest on the right. (see photo below)

If you remove the rotating dial, you can check it with a multi-tester. The dial/switch is just a potentiometer so it should change resistance when rotated. If you don't get a change of resistence when rotating the dial or it is is completely open it will need to be replaced. Part number 996.613.127.00.A02 (Gloss or A05 - Matt)

Cost of the potentiometer is about $50.00 from Sunset.

You can also check the fuse. It is fuse C6 (25A) and is located on the third row from the top and 6th fuse from the left.

Relay Location

aIMG_003520copy20copy.jpg

I'll send photos later of potentiometer.

Edited by kbrandsma

With your info - I was able to make sure the relay was seated. Retested and still have issue. I was able to pull the rheostat as you stated. It has 4 pins on the back side. I used a multimeter and took random samples with no changes. Are there specific pins I should check/compare? Also the part number on the piece was 996.613.115.00. You stated a slightly different (996.613.127.00.A02). Are they equivalent parts?

Thanks so much for your help.

With your info - I was able to make sure the relay was seated. Retested and still have issue. I was able to pull the rheostat as you stated. It has 4 pins on the back side. I used a multimeter and took random samples with no changes. Are there specific pins I should check/compare? Also the part number on the piece was 996.613.115.00. You stated a slightly different (996.613.127.00.A02). Are they equivalent parts?

Thanks so much for your help.

You are correct and I was wrong the part number is 996.613.115.00 A02 (gloss or A05 for matt)

If you orient the harness this way the two pins are on the far right. The other pins on the left are for backlighting with the pin on the far left being for the brown wire which is ground or earth.

IMG_3735.jpg

With the dial turning clockwise the number gets smaller

IMG_3717.jpg

Turning the dial counterclockwise the number gets larger and eventually 1. or off and no resistance. If your reading is always 1. or open you have a faulty switch. Check your multi-meter out on a bare wire to ensure it is working properly.

IMG_3719.jpg

IMG_3720.jpg

• 8 years later...

Thanks kbrandsma, your directions and photos were very helpful. In my case, either reseating the relay and the plug in the back of the potentiometer did the trick (I did both without checking in between).

I never was able any get any sort of connectivity reading on the potentiometer with my multimeter. That doesn't make sense and I cannot explain why.

• 9 months later...

I need to order this part, but I'm not sure if mine is matte or gloss. Pelican Parts lists both, but their website has no pics.

The center of the switch looks glossy, but the dial looks matte. So, can someone help me out? Which is right for my '02 C2?

I did check Sunset and they listed a different part no. (996-613-115-10-A05) for my car.It says it's a potentiometer. There's no pic. The A05 tells me it's matte.

They do have 996-613-127-10-A05. Price is now $81.29.

Just would like to be sure.

Thanks.

• 3 years later...

I just received a brand new potentiometer so guys can test if it needs replacing.

Here's the pin 1&2 readings for a new one & timing for delay when installed.
Look inside the connect next to the pins for the pin numbers.

Full speed (full clockwise) = 30.4k ohm = 7 second delay

Slowest speed (full CCW) = 232.1k ohm = 30 second delay

PXL_20240224_212751140.MP.jpg

Edited by ef1