Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Ipod

thanks for clearing that up. a bit more expensive than the 50 dollar wire!

even though the question has already been answered my response might be useful for people searching in the future, i used this cable with my 2001 porsche which had a cdr220 and it worked very well, it charges the ipod which many cables do not, you have to control song choice etc via the ipod, the cdr200 controls do not control the ipod (which is the case with all ipod cables and the cdr units) for the oney its an exfdelletb alternative to replacing the head unit (which i eventually did in order to get nav and various other features)

thanks for clearing that up. a bit more expensive than the 50 dollar wire!

even though the question has already been answered my response might be useful for people searching in the future, i used this cable with my 2001 porsche which had a cdr220 and it worked very well, it charges the ipod which many cables do not, you have to control song choice etc via the ipod, the cdr200 controls do not control the ipod (which is the case with all ipod cables and the cdr units) for the oney its an exfdelletb alternative to replacing the head unit (which i eventually did in order to get nav and various other features)

good info, thanks !

There's another cable out there, made by a member over on 6speeds and it's called iPorsche. It works very well with the pre-most systems (mine is an 01 with CDR220) but does not work with the Iphone 3G or 3Gs. I've been using it for about 2 years with an iPod Nano.

Mike

My neighbor and I installed the iWire in about 30 minutes...the directions that came with it are simple and easy to follow. The side console panels just unclip and access was easy with the radio removal tools they provide. I opted to drill a small hole in the back of that small receptacle compartment under the radio...for those of you who haven't changed the configuration of your stereo setups...and the iPod plug can be tucked away under there by simple pushing the wire back into the hole in back. I set the stereo to "AUX" and like stated above, you control the navigation thru the iPod from the iPod itself. Great and simple setup for pre-MOST cars.

My neighbor and I installed the iWire in about 30 minutes...the directions that came with it are simple and easy to follow. The side console panels just unclip and access was easy with the radio removal tools they provide. I opted to drill a small hole in the back of that small receptacle compartment under the radio...for those of you who haven't changed the configuration of your stereo setups...and the iPod plug can be tucked away under there by simple pushing the wire back into the hole in back. I set the stereo to "AUX" and like stated above, you control the navigation thru the iPod from the iPod itself. Great and simple setup for pre-MOST cars.

you cannot navigate on the ipod from the radio ?!

No...the iWire plug fits exactly into the existing plug port in the back left side of the radio...but it only allows you to access the iPod when you switch to the AUX channel...you do your navigation on the iPod itself...but I mostly use a shuffle or go to the artist I want to hear. I don't consider this to be a big inconvenience considering the fact that the conversion costs you about $50. For me it's a pretty dogone good deal for the money.

• 3 weeks later...

That last post...the disclaimer is put in there becasue guys switch out their standard CDR 220 for an upgraded spiffy stereo system, then expect that iWire setup to work. It's made for the STOCK radio...they can't possibly make one to accommodate all the different radio plug ports in the back of the numerous models that are on the market. This only works in teh earlier CDR 220 models..not the later MOST models as has already been stated. In the iWire, it goes into the plug port that your 6 CD holder would normally go into...so you can't have both. Personally, I prefer the iPod...just transfer your CDs to the iPod and it will hold almost a 1000...more songs than I would ever listen to.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems that no one has given any feedback regarding the sound quality so I'll just chip in my view.

I've used this product for my 2002 GT2 with a completely stock speakers and a CDR-220 head. I've tried playing 1 song twice, one time with my iPod connected using the wire to the head unit. And straightaway after that I played the same song from the CD using the head unit. After a back to back playback, I noticed that the sound that came from the iPod is not distorted whatsoever. However, there is a fine difference between the sound qualities. You'd notice that the iPod sound would somehow be a little muffled and has less clarity. With the CD, I noticed that the higher pitches in the song sounds much clearer considering there are little interference from cable connections.

So personally, I do like the number of songs available on my iPod and I'd definitely choose it over using a normal CD for everyday driving.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but do any of the cables mention here support the iPhone 3G? I'm not as concerned about charging as I am with being able to feed audio out of the phone into the CDR-220... smile.gif

Thanks,

Ron

• 4 months later...