Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Replaced coils/plugs but problems persist

To briefly summarize... last week my 04 CS started running rough on the highway, limped home, CEL came on the last mile or so and there is sat until tonight...The folks on rennlist helped me diagnose this as the very common bad coil issue. I bought new plugs and the -07 OEM ignition coils.

So me and my mechanic friend dove into the deep end tonight. It only took a couple of hours and one trip to AutoZone to get the Coils and plugs replaced. All 8 coils were cracked and one of them had basically MELTED!!!! After everything was replaced and put back together we fired her up and were, needless to say, disappointed. The P!g is still running and idling rough, sounds like it's misfiring and barely had enough power to move up the driveway. The CEL is still on but I'm guessing that it will stay that way till it's reset or clears up per ODBII. As far as the current trouble (post replacement) I'm hoping that the electronics told the motor to shut down the cylinder(s) with the melted and badly cracked coils to keep from causing further damage, and doesn't "know" that it's ok to fire them up again but I have no idea what to do next. Is there a way to "reset" the computer without hauling it down to a dealership? Any tricks to get my baby running again. BTW my mechanic buddy said in all his years he's NEVER seen a coil melt like this one. Could it have done some kind of damage I'm not aware of? I sure hope not.

here are a few pics for your viewing pleasure. Any help, ideas, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

thanks

John

post-49345-126871693804_thumb.jpg

post-49345-126871695548_thumb.jpg

post-49345-126871696471_thumb.jpg

post-49345-126871697494_thumb.jpg

post-49345-126871698376_thumb.jpg

Edited by jplumlee

• Admin

You did install Porsche parts right? Give us the part numbers and we'll double check them.

Check it with a fault code scanner to see which cylinders are misfiring. Could be cracked coils (overtightened) or loose connections or wrong spark plugs.

Hey Loren thanks for the reply,

The ignition coils were part # 948.602.104.07 (BERU) and the plugs were Bosch Super 7413. Both were ordered as OEM parts. They looked exactly like what I removed, minus the cracks and gunk. It just runs like it's still not firing all cylinders. That's why I was hoping someone knew of a way to reset it's brain, and that maybe it was still in some kind of "limp" mode because of the horribly melted coil and the other 7 that were cracked.

• Admin

Coils are correct - so check that they are not cracked and that the electrical connector is firmly snapped in place.

Correct plugs are FGR 6 KQE.

I still think you need to check for misfire fault codes to find exactly where the problem is.

so even though I installed brand new coils last night, I need to check again for cracks? is it even possible to happen that fast? Not sure what to do about the plugs. They were specified for an 04CS by the parts folks, were boshe "super", and looked exactly like the one that I removed (and had been running great up until last Friday) Is there any kind of reset I can do since it's running EXACTLY the way it did prior to replacement. Could the DME or whatever still think I have bad coils and have shut off the bad cylinders? thanks for your help man.. I really appreciate it

• Moderators

Check in the fuse box (under the wipers trim, left site in the engine compartment) there will be a fuse faulty (injectors) caused by the melted coil. The engine runs on one cylinder bloc for the moment.

• Upvote 1

RFM is my HERO!!!!!!

replaced the blown fuse and my baby came roaring back to life. Way to go bud I really appreciate it!

jplumlee:

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

RFM: :beer:

Regards, Maurice.

Edited by 1schoir

• 3 years later...

I just acquired an 06 s titanium edition with 80,000miles in the last month. I have changed the f-diff oil, r-diff oil, xfer oil, engine oil and plan to do the transmission oil soon.

I checked my coils today. they are the same 948.602.104.07. I see this several years old now.

1) what generation are these?

2) is that the current latest and greatest or will I likely need to replace them?

Looks like it needs new plugs, a crack may be forming.

3) Are these likely original or replacements at 80k miles?

4) how can I post a picture?

My '06 CTTS (early) came with .05 Coils that are still going strong. I bought a set of .09 coils that I'm going to throw in with the 3rd set of plugs when it's time. Sonnen is still showing 94860210409 as the latest coil.

• Admin

My '06 CTTS (early) came with .05 Coils that are still going strong. I bought a set of .09 coils that I'm going to throw in with the 3rd set of plugs when it's time. Sonnen is still showing 94860210409 as the latest coil.

My June parts and price still show 948-602-104-09 also.