Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Durametric Software.

Hi all,

So I have decided to buy a Durametric Diagnostic software but which one?

I was going to buy from the UK from Design911 but it's a bit pricy,

Then I saw one from PelicanParts in the US better value but my question is?

If I buy one from the US would it work on my RHD Irish/UK spec car?

2001 996 C4 Cab, 6sp.

DURAMETRIC PRO Fault & ECU Reader €666 from Desing911 UK

Durametric Diagnostic Tool for Porsche (1996 - present) Enthusiast Package €350 from PelicanParts US

Many thanks in advance guys.

James

Dublin.

Hi all,

2001 996 C4 Cab, 6sp.

Durametric Diagnostic Tool for Porsche (1996 - present) Enthusiast Package €350 from PelicanParts US

James

Dublin.

call Duram, he is a real person, and order direct..... (I was personally walked through a software glitch and still remember his patience and expertise.)

Hi all,

2001 996 C4 Cab, 6sp.

James

Dublin.

James,

Why not buy direct from Durametric?? I bought mine directly a few years ago and they offer free updates to their latest release software etc and were very easy to deal with. Here is the link for US pricing FYI http://www.durametric.com/buyus.aspx If you only have a post 1996 car and only intend to use it on that car or possible replacements in the future you don't need the "Option II" kit withthe round adaptor for pre 1996 OBDII connectors. I AM NOT IN ANY WAY AFFILIATED WITH DURAMTRIC but simply a content user. Good Luck!! demosan

cheers.gif

Thanks guys.

I think maybe the Enthusiast Package is the one to go for,

but the only thing I'm a bit confused with is the differences between the Enthusiast & Pro kits

on the Enthusiast Package from what I understand, is that there is a,

NO coding feature? does that mean I can't read the fault codes which is

the whole point of my need for this software?

This is what it say's on there website.

* Beginning with Durametric version 6, differences between the Enthusiast and Professional kits include:

• Number of supported cars (Enthusiast kit limited to 3 cars based on VIN, no limit on Pro kit) This bit I understand.
  • Control unit Coding feature (not included in Enthusiast kit) This I don't.
  • Control unit Command Console feature (not included in Enthusiast kit) Nor this.

I'l either buy from Hinkleys (the shipping is cheapest) or Durametric direct.

Does anyone have the Enthusiast kit can you read the fault codes.

Thanks.

Edited by JamesD

• Admin

You can read and reset all the fault codes.

The way I understand it in version 6 software Durametric added programming of special functions found mostly in the newer cars (997-1 and newer).

First release of Durametric 6.0
  • Coverage for 997, Boxster (987), Cayman only.
  • 100% new code! Durametric 6.0 shares no code with Durametric 5.
  • Added coverage for many new control modules. We now cover every module possible in the 9x7 cars.
  • Automatic vehicle recognition! On 9x7 cars, the software will automatically detect vehicle type and the modules that are installed.
  • New short test allows scanning all modules for faults and see all faults on one screen.
  • Quick erase allows faults to be cleared from all modules in one operation.
  • Support for non-critical faults. In some cases a module may have fault codes that do not require action. These faults will be indicated with a yellow icon.
  • Support for activations in most modules.
  • Support for actual values in most modules.
  • Support for 2009 DFI cars' Siemens SDI3 ECU.
  • Support for PDK transmissions.
  • System / Short tests on engine modules.
  • Freeze frame information on engine modules.
  • Coding on many modules (professional version only), some examples of things that can be coded are:
    • Added or removing control modules from the car. For example, disabling TPM, or PASM.
    • Recoding of airbag to allow racing seats to be installed and not trigger an airbag light.
    • Activating day time running lights.
    • Adjusting the behavior of each key.
    • And much more...

[*]997 Convertible top calibration.[*]Brake bleeding.[*]Improved installation process.[*]Automatic software updates.[*]Improved work log.[*]Command console (professional version only). Provides direct communication with the control module for advanced users.[*]Workshop information. Professional version can add your shop information to appear on customer printouts.[*]And many other new feature...

So if you have an older car (9x6 series) you would not have many (if any) of these capabilities anyway.

Cheers Loren,

I am going to buy the Enthusiast Package then.

I hope this stuff is easy to understand and use smile.gif

The hardest part was picking the right "framework.net" version from Microsoft -- this was needed for the installation. I use mine all the time, unfortunately for all the wrong reasons...chasing CELs. Knock on wood (and thank you Renntech), I may finally be in the clear.

renntech1.gif

Durametric does not program modules but it can turn on or off some convenience feature like day time running lights. It can read alarm codes but not clear them and can't add keys to the vehicle.