Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Wheel Upgrade Choices...

Which wheel looks best?  

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I am considering a wheel upgrade this summer from my current 18" boxster S wheels to a 19" wheel. I have played around with cut and paste today and can not decide what looks best on my 07 boxster S in Artic Silver. I am leaning towards the Gunmetal Forgestar F14, but part of me wants to stay with an OEM wheel. What do you guys think???

post-45305-12706573778_thumb.jpg

Edited by danieldolin

Is this just for looks? Do you care which wheel is lighter? Or the price difference between 18" and 19" tires? Or whether 18s ride better or hold up better on badly potholed streets?

I want to upgrade to 19" wheels for the improved look and can live with the decrease in handling. My car is not lowered and is on stock suspension so I do not think it will make a huge difference. I am concerned about weight and as such will be sticking with the OEM wheels (used) mentioned above or the Forgestar as the only aftermarket option in my price range. Most other aftermarket wheels (in price range) or OEM replicas are 4-8 lbs heavier per wheel and that seems really high to me even though this is strictly for street applications.

I believe the Forgestar wheels are very close to OEM wheel weights (or maybe a little lighter) at approx 22.5 lbs front 24lbs rear for 19x8.5 and 19x10 applications. Also I like the look of a more agressive stance, so if going OEM I would utilize the Porsche 5mm spacers (not sure what those weight) where as the Forgestars have custom offsets so no spacers needed for slightly more agressive fitment.

Edited by danieldolin

I have the 18" Boxster S II wheels like you and think they look great. However, I also love the Sport Design look. I've never liked Chrome wheels as I think they are a bit garish. So, IMHO, stick with the Boxster S II or the Sport Design.

Jason

PS - I've read that people prefer the 18" wheels over the 19" wheels mainly due to ride comfort. I've never tried the 19" wheels myself, though, so I cannot speak from experience.

PS - I've read that people prefer the 18" wheels over the 19" wheels mainly due to ride comfort. I've never tried the 19" wheels myself, though, so I cannot speak from experience.

I have read that as well, however I am not too concerned about ride comfort as I am on stock suspension (non-pasm) so it is not too stiff to begin with. I would lean towards the Sport Designs if I stick with OEM, but for some reason I really like the gunmetal look against the silver car. I think it will match almost perfect to the titanium color of the side intake vent...

I'm going through the same thing. I've a burgundy 2007 S w/ 18" S rims and am leaning toward the OEM Carerra Sport (19"). I'd really like to get a set of 2011 Spyder rims but have not been able to find a vendor and imagine the price would be horrible. A local dealer (HBL) has a package of Carrera rims, tires (Conti), and sensors, for $6,076, installed.

I pick the Sport Design, and will take this opportunity to say the lobster forks are freaking ugly, IMHO. Stock sometimes look pretty darn good to me, but I want something different than all the other Ss out there.

Good luck.

Jef

I'm going through the same thing. I've a burgundy 2007 S w/ 18" S rims and am leaning toward the OEM Carerra Sport (19"). I'd really like to get a set of 2011 Spyder rims but have not been able to find a vendor and imagine the price would be horrible. A local dealer (HBL) has a package of Carrera rims, tires (Conti), and sensors, for $6,076, installed.

I pick the Sport Design, and will take this opportunity to say the lobster forks are freaking ugly, IMHO. Stock sometimes look pretty darn good to me, but I want something different than all the other Ss out there.

Good luck.

Jef

Suncoast Porsche has those wheels with tires and TMPS from the factory for $5295... I can't imagine that shipping would be anywhere close to $800 and how hard is it to put on some wheels yourself.thumbup.gif

Also, I believe that once available the spyder wheels will not be much more than the $6000 you are already willing to spend, so if that is what you really want you may want to wait a few months. All the factory 19" wheel / tire packages seem to be within a few hundered dollars one way or the other, I do not see why they would charge significantly more for the spyder wheels.

Edited by danieldolin

I don't think the difference in weight is going to make any difference unless you are at the top of your game in track driving. For the road its better to go with a wheel thats practical to keep clean. Bear in mind also that 19" tyres are more expensive (and often more difficult to obtain) than 18" equivalents of the same width. If you like the gunmetal look , have you considered the carrera sport wheel , this is wider than the other wheels you have listed at 8.5 Front and 10 rear, with a bigger offset, though uses the same tyre widths. The result is the wheel and tyre fill the arches better and the increased track width will improve cornering grip and reduce roll. The standard wheel colour on most wheels is Gt silver I believe , so already a shade darker than the arctic silver you already have on the rest of the car.

i vote for the sport design. stay oem. also, since you liked the "gun-metal" color, have you thought of having the sport designs painted? i have an arctic silver 911, and painted my sport design wheels seal grey. i think it looks great, is different, but still classic porsche

Good luck.

Jef

Over $6k on wheels and tires from a dealer???? Why would you buy a wheel and tire package from a dealer? Just askin.......unsure.gif

Over $6k on wheels and tires from a dealer???? Why would you buy a wheel and tire package from a dealer? Just askin.......unsure.gif

+1 on this. Waaaaaaayyyyy too much. I'd buy a nice lightly used set, or go through Wheel Enhancement.

To OP - at least you can acknowledge that the 19s on these cars are ALL about the looks. With 18s you can get the same amount of contact patch, better ride quality, and no less performance on track if you decide to go there. Hell, with less unsprung weight you may realize a performance gain. For my money I'd skip the fashion statement and enjoy what you got. My 997S came with 19s OEM and I hate the ride and extra tire cost.

If not, I voted for the Lobsters. They're the lightest option in your list, and handsomest on the Boxster in my opinion.

I will conceed that it is all about looks... I am sure my 18" are lighter than any of the choices above, but still like the look of the 19". Tire cost is not a huge issue for me as my car only gets 3-4000 miles a year as my garage queen who gets stored winters and only drive it on my daily commute if it is not going to rain... or on weekends for that matter. Plus I do not plan on tracking the car so tires should last a good 4-5 years on average given that amount of driving.

I'm with you on the looks. I have 20's on my 997 and they look sweet. I don't track my car and know that it would handle better with the 19's. But it's not like I'm at the adhesion limit driving around Pasadena...

Still you don't need to give the dealer an obscenecensored.gif mark up when you can get the same wheels and tires somwhere else for much less money.

I doubt the owner of the dealership needs your philanthropyrolleyes.gif

cheers.gif

Edited by phillipj

+1 on this. Waaaaaaayyyyy too much. I'd buy a nice lightly used set, or go through Wheel Enhancement.

To OP - at least you can acknowledge that the 19s on these cars are ALL about the looks. With 18s you can get the same amount of contact patch, better ride quality, and no less performance on track if you decide to go there. Hell, with less unsprung weight you may realize a performance gain. For my money I'd skip the fashion statement and enjoy what you got. My 997S came with 19s OEM and I hate the ride and extra tire cost.

If not, I voted for the Lobsters. They're the lightest option in your list, and handsomest on the Boxster in my opinion.

I'm beginning to think the $$$ for 19s is not for me. I must admit that I've been driven by looks, but can't shake the fact that 18s are almost cerrtainly lighter, ride better , handle inevitable road hazards better, and I could do all kinds of fun things w/ the $6K. BTW one of then mainstream car mags that's at newstands now has an article comparing many wheel sizes installed on a VW, using the same tires (except for speed rating) and wheels. In short, the largest diameter was heavier and slower. The perfomrance and mileage hit was remarkable.

Re going through Wheel Enhancements, they were no bargain versus the dealer and the dealer is local. I much prefer shopping local. Following is their April 7, 2010 reply to my email query:

Subject: RE: Site Inquiry: Carrera SportA new set delivered would cost $5800.00. Your wheels would only be worth $600.00 in trade, no value in the tires. I would suggest you use the TPMS sensors that are in your wheels because a new set added $500.00 to the price. Please call us at 310-836-8908 to discuss between 7AM and 5PM PST.

Thank you, John P. Brown, Wheel Enhancement

Jef

I have the same wheels on my 06, and have been wondering how the 18" 986 5-spoke Carrerra Lights would look. They'd be easier to clean! Do you think you could Photo-shop them for me? Though I'm not sure if the fronts come in the proper width.

As far as factory 19's, I like the Turbo, Carrerra Classic & sport wheels, FWIW.

Steve

Edited by stephen wilson

"BTW one of then mainstream car mags that's at newstands now has an article comparing many wheel sizes installed on a VW, using the same tires (except for speed rating) and wheels. In short, the largest diameter was heavier and slower. The perfomrance and mileage hit was remarkable."

Here is an interesting bit of news on that subject. F1 may be going from a 13 inch to 18 inch tire and wheel in 2011. Doubt this will hurt performance,,, But then again they have a bit bigger budget than we do......

http://www.itv-f1.co...e.aspx?id=48192

Edited by phillipj

I have the same wheels on my 06, and have been wondering how the 18" 987 5-spoke Carrerra Lights would look. They'd be easier to clean! Do you think you could Photo-shop them for me? Though I'm not sure if the fronts come in the proper width.

As far as factory 19's, I like the Turbo, Carrerra Classic & sport wheels, FWIW.

Steve

are these the wheels you wanted to see on 987???

post-45305-127135761536_thumb.jpg

I have the same wheels on my 06, and have been wondering how the 18" 987 5-spoke Carrerra Lights would look. They'd be easier to clean! Do you think you could Photo-shop them for me? Though I'm not sure if the fronts come in the proper width.

Steve

are these the wheels you wanted to see on 987???

My wife's 997 has the 5 spoke Carrera wheels. They look great, are easy to clean, and I believe they are about the lightest OEM wheels. I would have voted for them if they were one of the options

I think the Carrera super lights are the best wheel Porsche has made. And they look great.. I think the 18' 5 spokes are much better looking that the new 19' 5 spokes on the Carrera 997-1 (I have those.)

Just my 2 cents...

Thanks for your input guys... I just ran into some Sport Designs w/PS2 tires (80% tread) and TMPS sensors that were take offs from someones 2009 987 RS60 on e-bay and pulled the trigger. I will post pictures once installed and after adding 7mm/14mm spacers front and rear. Could not pass up the deal.

I do not think the 2009 sensors are compatable with my 2007 so I will have to swap those out. Anyone need and extra set of 2009 TMPS sensors?

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same wheels on my 06, and have been wondering how the 18" 986 5-spoke Carrerra Lights would look. They'd be easier to clean! Do you think you could Photo-shop them for me? Though I'm not sure if the fronts come in the proper width.

Steve

Steve,

There is a set of these on ebay if you are interested... the front offsets seem like they would be fine, but the rear might need a spacer to make it work but seems doable...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/18-Porsche-BBS-wheels-rims-factory-OEM-996-993-911-C2-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1e5b875740QQitemZ130384615232QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Edited by danieldolin