Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Gt3 Candidate

klueless7571

• Moderators

Hmmmmm...... If I am reading the carfax history correctly, it was originally sold out of dealer inventory in March, 2003. The first US Mk II GT3's (Model Year 2004) made it to customers in about August 2003, Mine was the first in Colorado, and I took delivery from factory order on 8th Sept, 2003. Then the first owner apparently had two crashes in the space of three months. Now the car has 119,000 miles on it. I know that all of the original shipment of Mk II GT3's to the US were held in the port during July, 2003 for an ECU update. If I am reading the carfax correctly, I question that that car is a GT3. The factory Aerokit II for the 996 is the same as the GT3 body kit too.

Hmmmmm...... If I am reading the carfax history correctly, it was originally sold out of dealer inventory in March, 2003. The first US Mk II GT3's (Model Year 2004) made it to customers in about August 2003, Mine was the first in Colorado, and I took delivery from factory order on 8th Sept, 2003. Then the first owner apparently had two crashes in the space of three months. Now the car has 119,000 miles on it. I know that all of the original shipment of Mk II GT3's to the US were held in the port during July, 2003 for an ECU update. If I am reading the carfax correctly, I question that that car is a GT3. The factory Aerokit II for the 996 is the same as the GT3 body kit too.

The car is definitely has a GT3 engine, and coupled with the other GT3 bits (interior, cluster, bodykit, etc) it would be a cost-prohibitive conversion from a regular C2. I think it's a GT3, no question. I haven't seen the Carfax, but maybe the in-service date makes it a press car?

This car was someone's track *****. Grey seats in a black interior, missing PCCB, and probably a front-end repaint as the options sticker isn't under the hood. I'd say it's a nice price for someone looking to track the car as long as the title is clear and there aren't any true horror stories. I'd lose the "Carrera" script, get some real GT3 seats, and drive the ***** out of it.

Mark

The car is definitely has a GT3 engine, and coupled with the other GT3 bits (interior, cluster, bodykit, etc) it would be a cost-prohibitive conversion from a regular C2. I think it's a GT3, no question. I haven't seen the Carfax, but maybe the in-service date makes it a press car?

This car was someone's track *****. Grey seats in a black interior, missing PCCB, and probably a front-end repaint as the options sticker isn't under the hood. I'd say it's a nice price for someone looking to track the car as long as the title is clear and there aren't any true horror stories. I'd lose the "Carrera" script, get some real GT3 seats, and drive the ***** out of it.

Mark

Perhaps a cost prohibitive conversion if new parts from Porsche were used. Not unusual for more than one shop that I am personally aware of to buy a wreck from salvage and then do the conversion with the parts from the wrecked car and add whatever new parts are still needed to complete the job. You would then essentially have a GT3, but not necessarily the one you bargained for.

I don't know what happened in this instance, but I would give this a wide berth.

Regards, Maurice.

How about this one on ebay? Pictures look like PCCB, but the options list photo near the bottom doesn't list PCCB. Also, why does it say Orient Red, when the options list says Yellow?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/996-Very-RARE-15k-Miles-LIKE-NEW-Speed-Yellow-WOW_W0QQitemZ230460628459QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item35a8861deb#vi-contentgigamovesId

Thanks for any feedback!

Derek