Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

As my stock shifter on my MY99 C2 is feeling sloppy after 90,000 km I would like to give it a new feeling by changing to an 997 shifter bracket. Reading about the oem 997 shifter bracket (997.424.010.00) and the oem 997 short shifter bracket (997.424.983.00) which has both positive reviews over the stock 996 shifter I can not decide. Apart from the sloppy feeling I do not have any issues with the tranny. This is my daily car and I'm not going to trackdays (yet) So... I know it is personal but which to take?

Edited by Rob001

The sloppy feeling may not be from the shifter itself, but from the shift links. The OEM shift links (part that snaps onto the shifter itself) are made of plastic and tend to wear out. I did the B&M short shifter, but also replaced the shift link with an Agency Power one. Even if the shifter is replaced if the shift link is worn it will still feel sloppy.

This may open an another discussion.

Checked out the Agency power site and found the shift link as shown on the picture on the right side.

So you say that this will definately improve the sloppy feeling?

post-51314-127293131733_thumb.jpg

My experience is that the shift linkage made a big difference. Mine was very worn so there was a lot of slop in it. Not a cheap part, but it is made out of aluminum and won't wear like the OEM plastic piece.

As my stock shifter on my MY99 C2 is feeling sloppy after 90,000 km I would like to give it a new feeling by changing to an 997 shifter bracket. Reading about the oem 997 shifter bracket (997.424.010.00) and the oem 997 short shifter bracket (977.424.983.00) which has both positive reviews over the stock 996 shifter I can not decide. Apart from the sloppy feeling I do not have any issues with the tranny. This is my daily car and I'm not going to trackdays (yet) So... I know it is personal but which to take?

I like the 997 oem shifter. You can check out my review here http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=435850&referrerid=32590

I had factory 996 SSK installed before but it's too stiff for my liking. The 997 oem shifter throw is in between stock and the SSK and it eliminates ALL slopiness (assuming the rest of your shifter cables/linkage are in good shape).

Note that the 997 oem shifter comes with the two black linkage that connects to the male plastic thread of the shifter cables. So unless your threads are worn, there should be no slop. Once you remove yours, it will become clear. Also, the shifter comes with a centering tool so you don't have to worry about adjustment/alignment of it.

Ahsai, you mention a centering tool. It that a separate tool that comes in the box with the shifter (997.424.010.00)?

That's right. It comes with the shifter assembly. It's a piece of plastic that mounts on the top of the shifter housing to center the shifter BEFORE connecting to the two cables. Works like a charm.

• 2 years later...

I just installed the 997 stock shifter in my 2001 C4, and fine tuned the linkage adjustment. IMO, the 997 shifter is a huge improvement over 996 shifter. For about $200 and a leisurely couple of hours to install and tune, this mod is a no brainer.

Ashai:Can you give us an idea of the difficulty involved in replacing the 996 shifter? What exactly is involved. Thanks!

It is similar to the B&M short shifter install (http://bmracing.com/wp-bnmcont/uploads/45135.pdf skip steps 23 - 31 inclusive) but simpler because the 997 stock shifter comes with the shifter tower, which you just swap out with the stock unit as a whole. Basically you remove the center console and the shift knob, then disconnect the two shifter cables, then remove 4 bolts to remove the whole shifter tower. Then swap in the new shifter, use the centering tool to lock the new shifter in the neutral position, then connect the cables. No marking, cutting, etc are needed. Edited by Ahsai