Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Update On Coolant Leak, Plus New Questions...

Thanks to the folks that responded to the post about my coolant leak. I now have a couple more questions for anyone that has had a cap failure versus a coolant tank failure.

1. If the cap failed, wouldn't the area around the cap be wet? I have the blue cap, and I don't see a part number on it.

2. If the coolant tank is the culprit (this is what I think anyway...) is there a way to tell without starting the car and physically looking for a leak? I don't want any head-gasket failures just to make a diagnosis. I want to have the option of ordering Porsche OEM parts online to save some cash over what the dealer will charge... it looks like at least 20-30% savings.

3. What color is the Porsche approved coolant? The coolant that has appeared around the tank is orange-ish (similar to the stuff Mercedes uses) but the fluid on the garage floor has a slight greenish tinge. The 15K and 30K service intervals do not indicate that you need to change this fluid. Odd.

Thanks.

post-34415-127617596828_thumb.jpg

• Admin

1. If there is no part number on the cap then I suggest you replace it as it may not even be the right cap. A new cap is only about $20 MSRP - cheap insurance in my book.

2. You would need to pressure test the system with the car off. Obviously check the hoses on the under side of the car - but a leaking hose would not get the trunk wet -- so I think you need a new tank.

3. Porsche used two different coolants one was greenish-brown and the other was pink. Porsche coolants CAN be mixed. Porsche states that their coolant is "lifetime" as long as it is not contaminated.

Do not mix other coolants with Porsche coolants or you could end up with jello.

Either use Porsche coolant (or OEM equal) or change all of the coolant to the new brand (which is a bigger job than most think).

Thanks to the folks that responded to the post about my coolant leak. I now have a couple more questions for anyone that has had a cap failure versus a coolant tank failure.

1. If the cap failed, wouldn't the area around the cap be wet? I have the blue cap, and I don't see a part number on it.

2. If the coolant tank is the culprit (this is what I think anyway...) is there a way to tell without starting the car and physically looking for a leak? I don't want any head-gasket failures just to make a diagnosis. I want to have the option of ordering Porsche OEM parts online to save some cash over what the dealer will charge... it looks like at least 20-30% savings.

3. What color is the Porsche approved coolant? The coolant that has appeared around the tank is orange-ish (similar to the stuff Mercedes uses) but the fluid on the garage floor has a slight greenish tinge. The 15K and 30K service intervals do not indicate that you need to change this fluid. Odd.

Thanks.

If the cap vents, there will be moisture on the trunk lid and possibly drops around the cap. This isn't necessarily a failure, the cap is meant to let off pressure.

You can take a pressure tester on loan from most auto parts stores. This allows you to pressurize the system without running the car to try to find the leak.

They've changed to coolant color a couple of times, I think it's been pink and yellow.

Thanks.

If the cap vents, there will be moisture on the trunk lid and possibly drops around the cap. This isn't necessarily a failure, the cap is meant to let off pressure.

You can take a pressure tester on loan from most auto parts stores. This allows you to pressurize the system without running the car to try to find the leak.

They've changed to coolant color a couple of times, I think it's been pink and yellow.

Had it towed to the dealer. It was the tank, it had a crack in a seam. The car has never had anything but Porsche service, and it was fully documented, yet the dealer claims the coolant is not correct for the car. I had the system flushed just to be sure. Additionally, I was in a shadowy garage... there was a part number on the cap, it was the correct cap from the build of the car. Of course, the dealer also wanted to add on a bunch of crap to the service since they had the car captive... it had an oil change service in September and has been driven less than 400 miles, yet they told me the oil should be changed. *rolls eyes*

post-34415-127627018011_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

1. No, not necessarily.

2. Yes, uncover the tank, make sure it is full the mid level and put a pressure tester on it.

3. Depends, could be green (early) or pink/amber (later). They are both compatible.