Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Cylinder Sleeve 996 3.6

Hi All,

Looking for some help/ideas. I traded in a 2002 996 3.6 Targa to a friend who is a dealer (he sold me the car originally). This was about 3 weeks ago. Last Friday the engine blew. Took it to the indie (very good shop) who had just completed the 60K major service about a month ago. Cylinder sleeve cracked. Goodbye engine. Got a quote for a replacement- $18,500!!! It seems Stuggart wants more for this engine than a 997 3.8S.

Is Autofarm an option? Anyone have any other ideas?

Thx!!!

I wonder how many reman engines Porsche has sold since the M96 was created? Guess only Porsche knows that.:censored:

Cegarner,

You can also look at the Porsche dismantlers for an engine out of a wreck. I'm afraid that I, Dharn and others here have been down the same road you are on..

The same happened to me 6 months ago, on a 3.4 engine. Rebuilt Porsche engines go for 13k plus tax plust install.... 15k. Remanufactured engines from other sources go for 6to 8k. I would stay away from non comprobable sources as it is possible that you buy a remanufactured engine whereas they utilize used pieces instead of new ones.

LN will charge around 4k for the NiCkies and yes they are a better alternative to the standard Porsche Sleeves.... but you still have to pay for labor and that is expensive you are looking about the same amount of having somebody rebuilding the engine... plus the 4k.

Ultimately, I had my engine rebuilt locally (in Orange County) by a shop recommended by Philipj in this forum. www.visionmotorsports.com. Dwain is a good guy, builds racing engines, and did a rebuild for half the price than a Porsche sourced engine, with all the updates too. You might want to give him a call.

A good indie can rebuild the engine. Pieces are not too expensive it is most the labor. Just make sure you trust the indie. Good luck.

Edited by CabC2

Hi All,

Looking for some help/ideas. I traded in a 2002 996 3.6 Targa to a friend who is a dealer (he sold me the car originally). This was about 3 weeks ago. Last Friday the engine blew. Took it to the indie (very good shop) who had just completed the 60K major service about a month ago. Cylinder sleeve cracked. Goodbye engine. Got a quote for a replacement- $18,500!!! It seems Stuggart wants more for this engine than a 997 3.8S.

Thx!!!

Sorry to hear about your engine woes.

I sent you a PM -- I'm and LN Engineering dealer -- maybe I can help you out.

Mike

Hi All,

Thx!!!

Sorry to hear about your engine woes.

I sent you a PM -- I'm and LN Engineering dealer -- maybe I can help you out.

Mike

Thanks Mike! I don't own the car anymore, it is with my friend who is the dealer. I passed the info to him and am waiting for him to get back to me. Will let you know what he decides. Appreciate all the help.