Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Convertible Tension Rope/cable Has Broken - Help Please?

Hi all,

Had a bit of bother with my convertible roof the other day where the tension cable that runs along the side of the roof has brocken, through corrosion by the looks of it. I have found the cable from the following site

http://www.design911.com/Tension-Rope-Porsche-996---997/prod8790/

The question i have is how easy are these to replace yourself, i dont want to start the job then discover that it is bigger than what i had imagined! has anyone had to carry this out if so what tools etc do you require and how long does it take to do??

Many thanks in advance

JC

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Had a bit of bother with my convertible roof the other day where the tension cable that runs along the side of the roof has brocken, through corrosion by the looks of it. I have found the cable from the following site

http://www.design911...--997/prod8790/

The question i have is how easy are these to replace yourself, i dont want to start the job then discover that it is bigger than what i had imagined! has anyone had to carry this out if so what tools etc do you require and how long does it take to do??

Many thanks in advance

JC

yes this is the right cable.

I fixed it here http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/996-forum/574384-convertible-top-not-folding-closed-quite-right-pics-solved-2.html

Same story here! Cable broke, took it to Porsche Dealer, told it would be about $500 plus to fix. The service advisor made it sound like it was major surgery. Got the name of a convertible top place locally and it was fixed in about 1 hour for $100 out the door. All he did was to attach the old cable to the new one and fed it thru the top and reconnected it. It took longer to get into the stall , than to do the job. He said the 99% of the time it has to do with the connectors and not the cable itself, which is pretty stealth.

• 6 months later...

When you guys were having this fixed, did the techs say anything about what to do if the edge of the top started closing outside the plastic trim? My cable still seems tight, but for some reason it doesn't want to stay in the plastic channel. I have to close the top halfway, tuck it back in, and then close it the rest of the way.

• Moderators

The left and right longitudinal tension cables are hold by a transverse elastic ribbon, which pull the cables slightly to the middle of the car so that they fit in the plastic trim instead of over the trim. Probably the ribbon broke, take a look with the roof halfway, between the textile roof layers, the ribbon can be sewn by hand.

The left and right longitudinal tension cables are hold by a transverse elastic ribbon, which pull the cables slightly to the middle of the car so that they fit in the plastic trim instead of over the trim. Probably the ribbon broke, take a look with the roof halfway, between the textile roof layers, the ribbon can be sewn by hand.

Thanks, RFM. I know the one you're talking about. I was actually yanking on that thing a couple months before the passenger side started catching outside the plastic trim because the corners were bunching and pulling up instead of lying flat. I probably pulled it too loose or tore something.

• 1 month later...

Was your issue the elastic ribbon?

Mine is doing the same thing, cables staying outside the plastic trim when closing the top. I thought it was the cables loosing tension or being "streched due to age". But after reading RFM post, it makes a lot of sense. I need to check this ribbon that pulls them "in". If it is broken or overstreched, then I will know what the problem is and will fix this weekend.

Was your issue the elastic ribbon?

Mine is doing the same thing, cables staying outside the plastic trim when closing the top. I thought it was the cables loosing tension or being "streched due to age". But after reading RFM post, it makes a lot of sense. I need to check this ribbon that pulls them "in". If it is broken or overstreched, then I will know what the problem is and will fix this weekend.

P.E.:

Here is the text of a DIY I wrote up about the "elastic ribbon", which Porsche calls a "fold placer". This might help you repair yours if a replacement is not immediately available:

"...In 987's there is a different device holding the canvas in place, which we will call "looped strings", one on the left side and one on the right side. If either of the "looped strings" on your 987 are sticking out from where they exit the sides of the convertible top, and no longer under tension, you will have to replace the entire part that connects the two looped strings.

The looped strings are attached to the convertible top frame by means of one fastening screw on each side. The overall part is called a "fold placer" and is part # 987 561 773 01. The fold placer costs about $69.00 as of this writing. The fold placer is actually two pieces of string that are connected to each other by being crimped on to a flexible elastic band in between them, from one side of the top to the other. The failure occurs when one of the crimped connections comes apart near the center of the top, and if that is the case, you will have to replace the complete "fold placer". It runs left to right through a canvas channel and you can guide the new part with a long piece of wire, then remove the wire and attach the strings with the fastening screw on each side. You will have to partially pull apart the convertible top liner in the area near the fastening screw to get at it.

If you don't want to spend the $69.00, in some instances it may be possible to re-attach the looped strings to the center elastic band, but you will have to devise your own method of re-fastening the string to the elastic band after you remove the elastic band from its canvas channel...."

If you want to read the whole DIY, go to Mike Focke's website, to investigate possible other causes, here:

http://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/convertibletopedgedoesnotfallintoguidech

Regards, Maurice.

Maurice,

Thanks for the update, I did a quick check, and notice the slack around the center (on both sides) of the convertible top. Although I could not see a ribbon, it seems like there should be something there. I will take my time tomorrow investigating, I am sure I will find something out of place. I did notice the plastic band that runs in a slot on the middle metal frame on the top (from one side to the other). I had a feeling the 2 sides of the top (tensions cables) should be attached to it, but it was not obvious.

But again, I will have plenty of time tomorrow to look closely and carefully for any tears, detached strings/straps, etc..

Update:

I saw the ribbon, and it is attached on both ends. The question I have: Is this ribbon supposed to be elastic?; it has no elasticity at all. I wonder if that is the issue, could it be overstreched?.

Or is it just like that and the problem lies somewhere else?

Update:

I saw the ribbon, and it is attached on both ends. The question I have: Is this ribbon supposed to be elastic?; it has no elasticity at all. I wonder if that is the issue, could it be overstreched?.

Or is it just like that and the problem lies somewhere else?

PE:

The part in the middle of the "fold placer" string is supposed to be elastic. That's the part that is in center of the roof, to which is attached the two "shoestrings", one left and one right, which are attached to one of the members of the convertible top frame. The "shoestrings" are not elastic.

Regards, Maurice.

Got it, thanks.

I did notice the following: the location where the shoestrings attach to the top (both sides), seems to be really "tired", may be ripped. But without another car without the problem sitting next to it is difficult to tell (need a reference).

I will first experiment with the shoestrings, I will try to make a "fold" of about half an inch on each with a safety pin, and see how it does.

Then I will continue to increase until the sides are "pulled enough" to fall in the groove. At that point I will sew the fold.

Got it, thanks.

I did notice the following: the location where the shoestrings attach to the top (both sides), seems to be really "tired", may be ripped. But without another car without the problem sitting next to it is difficult to tell (need a reference).

I will first experiment with the shoestrings, I will try to make a "fold" of about half an inch on each with a safety pin, and see how it does.

Then I will continue to increase until the sides are "pulled enough" to fall in the groove. At that point I will sew the fold.

PE:

Here are a couple of photos of what the attachment is supposed to look like and how it's routed, (including one where I drew in the shoestring and its end):

post-6627-0-23222800-1298943846_thumb.jp

post-6627-0-14941500-1298943864_thumb.jp

post-6627-0-21967800-1298943882_thumb.jp

Also, don't ignore the fact that the elastic (in the middle part of this looped string, under the canvas) is there to maintain tension of the tension cables and to place a fold in the convertible top as it moves through its cycle. Be careful that the tension that occurs while the top is moving does not rip apart the looped strings or cause other damage. In other words, it may be a good idea to insert an elastic band section to sort of mimic the action of the original.

Regards, Maurice.