Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Window Drop Down Issue

Hey Everyone,

I have a 2001 boxster that recently started having an issues with the window drop down feature on the driver's side. When I open the door, the window will not roll down a little bit like it should to prevent catching the glass on the top. I then have to push it down a little bit before closing it. However, it will roll back up when it closes. I've been working on this issues for a few hours now and I am totally stumped. Does anyone have any idea how to fix it?

Thanks

Hey Everyone,

I have a 2001 boxster that recently started having an issues with the window drop down feature on the driver's side. When I open the door, the window will not roll down a little bit like it should to prevent catching the glass on the top. I then have to push it down a little bit before closing it. However, it will roll back up when it closes. I've been working on this issues for a few hours now and I am totally stumped. Does anyone have any idea how to fix it?

Thanks

Unfortunately, the symptoms that you describe can most probably only be fixed by replacing the window regulator. The fact that you CAN push it down a little bit makes it almost a certainty.

Here is a link that contains some helpful hints on the window regulator replacement, including how not to set off the airbag light: http://www.renntech....h__1#entry99100

Here is a link to good instructions on removing and replacing the door panel, etc...: http://www.bombaydig...rojects/window/

Regards, Maurice.

• Upvote 2

I have a 1997 and had the same problem. I used the Bentley manual to troubleshoot and I believe the problem might be caused by the cable that operates the system stretching over time. I got the impression that it is one of the more common "snags" Since I could see nothing broken I checked all the adjustments but couldn't improve it. I tried to repair it by adding spacers and clamps to take up the slack while I waited for a new regulator but it didn't work.

I priced out several parts suppliers and found Sunset to be the cheapest $184.18 + freight. Their link is at the top sunset.png Porsche Parts at Dealer Cost.

I also ordered some new plastic clips that hold on the inside door panel P/N 999 507 582 40 white clips, I think they are 0.25 cents each and there are 6 on the panel, I only had to replace 2. I marked where all the adjustments were and put the window back in the same place and when I tested it it was within the range described in the manual and worked just like new. The only scary part was tightening the clamps that hold the glass. I used a torque wrench and trusted the manual to tighten to 7 lb/ft If I remember correctly which seemed like too much doing it by hand.

Thanks to this forum it was another job that was completed successfully and it works like new! I believe it would have cost $1000 dollars at a dealer (nearest one where I live is 400 miles away!) not including getting there but I got it fixed for $200 and a few hours of time.

Garth

I replaced

Hey Everyone,

Thanks

Unfortunately, the symptoms that you describe can most probably only be fixed by replacing the window regulator. The fact that you CAN push it down a little bit makes it almost a certainty.

Here is a link that contains some helpful hints on the window regulator replacement, including how not to set off the airbag light: http://www.renntech....h__1#entry99100

Here is a link to good instructions on removing and replacing the door panel, etc...: http://www.bombaydig...rojects/window/

Regards, Maurice.

I forgot to add that Maurice's links are where I started and are very good.

I have a 1997 and had the same problem. I used the Bentley manual to troubleshoot and I believe the problem might be caused by the cable that operates the system stretching over time. I got the impression that it is one of the more common "snags" Since I could see nothing broken I checked all the adjustments but couldn't improve it. I tried to repair it by adding spacers and clamps to take up the slack while I waited for a new regulator but it didn't work.

I priced out several parts suppliers and found Sunset to be the cheapest $184.18 + freight. Their link is at the top sunset.png Porsche Parts at Dealer Cost.

I also ordered some new plastic clips that hold on the inside door panel P/N 999 507 582 40 white clips, I think they are 0.25 cents each and there are 6 on the panel, I only had to replace 2. I marked where all the adjustments were and put the window back in the same place and when I tested it it was within the range described in the manual and worked just like new. The only scary part was tightening the clamps that hold the glass. I used a torque wrench and trusted the manual to tighten to 7 lb/ft If I remember correctly which seemed like too much doing it by hand.

Thanks to this forum it was another job that was completed successfully and it works like new! I believe it would have cost $1000 dollars at a dealer (nearest one where I live is 400 miles away!) not including getting there but I got it fixed for $200 and a few hours of time.

Garth

I replaced

Hey Everyone,

Thanks

Regards, Maurice.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a similar issue but don't know if it is the regulator or not. I also have a 2001 Boxster

symptoms:

1. pull interior door handle and window drops 1/2"

2. pull exterior door handle door drops 1/2"

3. let go of the handle (interior or exterior) and window goes right back up.

4. once door is open need to push the plastic clip (at the door latch) slightly for window to stay down the requisite 1/2" to let the door close.

5. full window up or down function works fine from the center console.

the door lock clip seems to be sticking. i will try some lube when i get home this afternoon. any other suggestions?

everything else seems to be working normally.

thanks,

Edited by drem914