Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Adjusting the Shift Mechanism - Tools? DYI

• Moderators

You remove the center console, put the transmission in neutral, then snap the red plastic tool onto the shift. If the cables are not adjusted properly then the tool will not snap on. In that case you disconnect the cables, snap the tool on, then reattach the cables. Once you remove the console you will see how the cables can be disconnected by pushing on a spring loaded keeper and lifting the cable up. Somewhere on this board are B&M instruction and they explain how to remove the cables.

I have used the tool on about a dozen Boxsters and 996s, prior to a B&M install. I make sure the cables are adjusted properly before I put in the B&M. I have never seen a car where they were not adjusted properly. I doubt if it is an issue with your car unless someone has been playing around with the cables, but you did ask how to adjust the shift.

post-4-1101493713_thumb.jpg

thanks - i'll go order one and check it - i am just trying to asertain if the notchy 1-2 shift is "Normal" before i consider doing the B&M SSK. if it cannot be fixed then i need to start going down the tranny replacement road with my warrenty co.

thanks

• 1 month later...
thanks - i'll go order one and check it - i am just trying to asertain if the notchy 1-2 shift is "Normal" before i consider doing the B&M SSK. if it cannot be fixed then i need to start going down the tranny replacement road with my warrenty co.

thanks

Is it *always* notchy, or is it intermittent? Worse when cold?

My 996 has had a sporadic issue w/shifting into 2nd since new. When warm it's almost always nice & solid. However, seemingly randomly it'll feel like I'm shifting through gravel. About once a month it'll pop out of 2nd as I'm letting out the clutch.

The dealer hasn't been able to repro, and says my tranny feels "normal", so I'm thinking it might be linkage... Not sure.

• 3 months later...

coming back to this thread....

i just preformed the a shifter re-alignment and it now feels much better

the clip on tool worked like a champ and my shifter was not able to snap in until i removed and re-installed the cables. definitly out of alignment. it feels much more positive and does not "clip" 2nd any longer.

it never popped out of gear before or after

coming back to this thread....

i just preformed the a shifter re-alignment and it now feels much better

the clip on tool worked like a champ and my shifter was not able to snap in until i removed and re-installed the cables. definitly out of alignment. it feels much more positive and does not "clip" 2nd any longer.

it never popped out of gear before or after

Since I last posted the dealer replaced my tranny, which didn't do anything to improve shifter feel... So I decided to take matters into my own hands. I bought both the shift adjuster tool and the Porsche SSK. My shifter was *way* out of alignment (even though I'd specifically asked my dealer to check alignment). Now, in combination with the SSK, it shifts much better. Sill occasionally weird into 2nd, but much better overall. Still much worse than my old S2k, and Miata(s), and M3, and... :(

Edited by stiles_s

what year is your car? was the replacement work done on the eastside for your tranny?

my shifter was also *way* out - seems better now

Yep, eastside porsche dealer. My car is an '03.

I'm a little frustrated by the fact that I now have a rebuilt transmission when a simple linkage adjustment (which I asked for) would likely have taken care of my issues. Oh well -- seems to be working fine at the moment.

• 5 months later...

is there anything else that can be out of sinc to make the gear change excessivly notchy?

I only ask as I have the B+M and have used the cable checking tool, but I really have to push it into gears to the point that my wife needs to use two hands sometimes? (nothing sexual intended LOL )

its really spoiling my driving experience as the gear changes are a real forcefull 'clunk' in almost every gear?

the gear change was notchy before adding the B+M but also very slack, now its nice and tight with a great short throw but the notchiness is far far too much, at the mo its the worsed gear change I've had in any car and I've always gone for short shifters in the past. even cut down shifters with a dremmel and its never been this 'clunky'

desperate to sort this out as other than this the car is everything I hoped (986 Boxster S 2000) at the moment prefer to drive the wifes ford as its not hard work, and that saying something!!!

well....determined not to be beaten by a car I have spent all day trying various set ups until I found one that I could be happy with :)

Adjusted the cables, with and without the porsche set up tool in various positions to no avail.

replaced the stock shifter using the B+M ally bushes with the cable adjusted as per the porsche plastic tool.................great! no notchiness at all, even better than when I bought the car in standard form. :)

now being happy with the lack of 'notchiness' I set about reducing the throw of the gear stick. After sliding the gear knob on and off a few times to review how it sits on the shaft I decided on aprox. a 1.25" reduction.

I cut away aprox. 1.25" from the top of the shaft with an angle grinder and trimmed it to shape with a dremmel grinder disc. I then carefully reduced the girth of the base of the shaft also by about 1.25" in length to replicate the flat shape of the upper half on the shaft. (gear knob stops sliding down the shaft when if becomes round if you dont, so it would be pointless reducing the length)

put it all back together, slid the gear knob back down to its now 1.25" shorter base and took her for a test drive :ermmm:

Absolutely superb! nice short shift, nice and tight due to the ally bushes and allen bolt adjustment on the B+M bushes, and not one notchy feel in any gear! :D

I am so so chuffed with myself! the car is back in my good books and its a pleasure to drive it once again :D :D :D

That must be even more effort though to shift it when the tranny is cold.

Regarding the notchiness, there is less mechanical advantage and hence less leverage and more exageration of the center detent or midpoint. I change out the tranny fluid and while it makes it easier to engage the gears the shift effort is the same. I drove my friends 996 the other day without SS and couldn't belive how easy it was to shift, albeit long throws. The solution is to dump the top mounted shifter and put in the under car-(tranny mounted) SS before only ruf and techart made them but now B&M does and I hear that there is the same shift effort as stock since it's the same leverage but that the short shifting is the same. I have thought about it time and again, as I HATE the increased effort as well.

There is slightly more effort required when cold but no more than the stock shifter was before I cut it down. Were only talking a relativly small reduction length to reduce the throw so not a great reduction in leverage.

Have done about 200 miles in her now since chopping the shift down and I'm very happy with the results. Going by others comments tho these cars do seem to vary greatly in the notchiness found? Either that, or people who have paid out on a B+M or similar dont like to admit just how bad a shift you have to put up with for the reduced throw?

Either way I'm happy :-)

• Moderators

What Perry did is exactly what Porsche did for the 2004 986 special edition. The height of the metal shift lever was reduced by about 1" so that the top of the shift knob is also lower than a normal 986/996. This is one way to reduce the shift throws, unlike how it is done with a B&M style short shift.

If you did not want to take a hacksaw and grinder to your existing shift lever then you could always put in the shift tower used on the special edition.

post-4-1130539640_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

sorry to revive a dead thread but I've been searching all over the web about a shifter problem i'm experiencing with a car I recently purchased so I hope someone can chime in and give me some input.

2001, CPO 996 Turbo 6-spd w/ stock non-ssk shifter ~ 20k miles.

when the car is standing still, clutched in, the shifting action of the shifter is butter. although the throw is slightly long and inaccurate, it pops into gear in one smooth motion.

however, when the car is moving, like when you're slowing down for a green light turn and shifting into first or second, clutch all the way in, it is SUPER notchy to get it in the gate. Kinda like how someone explained it, like shifting through gravel.

I'm curious if this is the same problem as described by a number of people that fixed their problem by readjusting the cables. I had the dealer check it out as well and they said it's fine. I test drove a friend's 996TT, and while 1st and 2nd weren't as smooth as 3 to 6, it wasn't as bad as mine.

can someone please chime in with some advise? thanks ! ps, i'm new here = )

• 1 month later...

A couple of questions:

Is the orange tool the one for a 97 Boxster 2.5 and also a 97 (presume 98 model year) 996 3.4?

What is the part number please?

Thanks a lot.

PS Very useful thread in conjunction with the short shifter one currently running; my Boxster shift is very stiff laterally even after greasing so I'm thinking of replacing it with a short shift one.