Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Don't do what I did/ How bad would this be?

Hi, all.

I'm posting here because this is where I once belonged. However, I got nervous about IMS failure, my oil change costing $267 and so on and so forth. So, I traded in my beloved '05 Boxster for what I thought was a fast and refined car, a 2007 BMW 335i. While this car is quick, it does not have the feel of the Boxster and it looks boring to me. So, now I'm making what are high payments (to me) for a car I do not love. UGH! So, please refer to my story if you ever begin to doubt your most likely fine car. Anyway, I am now probably going to lose lots of money if I can find another Boxster that I would love and am actually inquiring about a 2007 one which is 8 hours away from where I live in South Carolina. But, as I get ready to take this huge hit (which I really can't afford, but don't want to pay for years and years for a car I don't love) I thought maybe I could buy a much older Boxster (like a 1999) and enjoy it as a second car (though in the past I've found 2 cars hard to manage, so maybe I'd end up being able to sell the BMW and coming out way cheap if I found the Boxster could be my main car). My question to you all is this: if I was used to the 2005, its fit and how it drove and just the blast it was, how bad would the 1999 be? Is it that different? Does the top still work electrically? Is it still as fun to drive? If it has fairly low miles, does it seem like it would cost an arm and a leg to maintain? Is it also prone to IMS problems or was that generation free from the particular problem? I guess I need car therapy and am sure hoping to get some opinions here, especially if you've owned an earlier version of the car and can compare it to what I know as the Boxster experience. Oh - and the questions are not for theory - there are actually some 1999 models for sale in my color and not but at most 150 miles away. Please help me work through this. I know I'd love a 2007, but I don't think I can realistically get into one without losing about 5k on my BMW trade in (I was thinking it would be less likely to suffer IMS failure), so now just trying to find new perspective and consider buying the1999 for a fun car. I only work 2 miles from home, so would want it to be able to handle those kind of miles as well as road trips. Alrighty - I guess I've given you enough to go on. Thanks in advance for any help/advice/personal anecdotes you may have about this major dilemma.

Hi, all.

I'm posting here because this is where I once belonged. However, I got nervous about IMS failure, my oil change costing $267 and so on and so forth. So, I traded in my beloved '05 Boxster for what I thought was a fast and refined car, a 2007 BMW 335i. While this car is quick, it does not have the feel of the Boxster and it looks boring to me. So, now I'm making what are high payments (to me) for a car I do not love. UGH! So, please refer to my story if you ever begin to doubt your most likely fine car. Anyway, I am now probably going to lose lots of money if I can find another Boxster that I would love and am actually inquiring about a 2007 one which is 8 hours away from where I live in South Carolina. But, as I get ready to take this huge hit (which I really can't afford, but don't want to pay for years and years for a car I don't love) I thought maybe I could buy a much older Boxster (like a 1999) and enjoy it as a second car (though in the past I've found 2 cars hard to manage, so maybe I'd end up being able to sell the BMW and coming out way cheap if I found the Boxster could be my main car). My question to you all is this: if I was used to the 2005, its fit and how it drove and just the blast it was, how bad would the 1999 be? Is it that different? Does the top still work electrically? Is it still as fun to drive? If it has fairly low miles, does it seem like it would cost an arm and a leg to maintain? Is it also prone to IMS problems or was that generation free from the particular problem? I guess I need car therapy and am sure hoping to get some opinions here, especially if you've owned an earlier version of the car and can compare it to what I know as the Boxster experience. Oh - and the questions are not for theory - there are actually some 1999 models for sale in my color and not but at most 150 miles away. Please help me work through this. I know I'd love a 2007, but I don't think I can realistically get into one without losing about 5k on my BMW trade in (I was thinking it would be less likely to suffer IMS failure), so now just trying to find new perspective and consider buying the1999 for a fun car. I only work 2 miles from home, so would want it to be able to handle those kind of miles as well as road trips. Alrighty - I guess I've given you enough to go on. Thanks in advance for any help/advice/personal anecdotes you may have about this major dilemma.

If some of these will help you make a decision, here are some answers:

The early Boxsters are all a blast to drive. They may have less HP and a little less "plush", but they are also lighter and more easily tossed around.

The only Boxsters that are completely free of IMS problems are the ones that have the newer generation engine that completely eliminated the IMS. IIRC, that did not happen until 2009, IIRC. While the M96 engines that were built after mid 2005 supposedly all contain a "sturdier" IMS bearing and flange, no one really knows how effective that solution will prove to be until more Boxsters of this vintage accumulate more miles.

The top on a '99 Boxster works exactly like that on the more current Boxsters, but the transmissions and the overall set-up of the system are somewhat more trouble prone than the 2000 and later Boxsters. That can be remedied for less than $400 in used parts if you DIY.

Buying a '99 Boxster for very little money might ease your concern of taking as major a hit in the unlikely event your IMS bearing would fail. You might actually get to really enjoy your Boxster if you could erase that concern from your mind...i.e., if you could accept the worst case scenario as financially survivable, it should not concern you.

Go check out a couple of those '99's and take them for a test drive...That's the best way to determine if they are a good fit for you.

Regards, Maurice.

Edited by 1schoir

If your 2005 Boxster was not an S model then an older S model would give you the same feel as your 05. I would recommend an 03 S model or newer. 03 is when they went to a glass top instead of plastic. Also mine is a Tiptronic which tends to have less IMS problems.

I've got an '01 Boxster, have driven lots of newer Boxsters, and my wife drives an '05 Carrera (which has a similar interior to the '05 and newer Boxsters). The newer cars have a more refined interior, although personally I'm happy with the older ones. Interior material quality is much better on the '05 and later models, but the older three spoke steering wheels feel and look better. The newer cars have a bit more power, and up until the 2000 model year, the Boxsters only had a 2.5 liter engine (newer ones are 2.7 liter). As already mentioned, the rear window was plastic up until the end of the 2002 model year, so that limits your ability to put the top down in cold temperatures without cracking the window. Boxsters through 2002 had a different roof design than later, I think one more roof rib was added for 2003 and later, which changes the roof profile - if looks are important to you, see which you prefer. The "fried egg" headlights came on Boxsters until 2005, but personally I like they way they look, it reminds me of the GT1, others hate the look. Side intake and exhaust vents changed in 2005 as well and became more noticeable.

I love my 2001 Boxster. Even though the new ones are better, they aren't so much better I have to spend the $ to get a newer one. I figure my engine will have a catastrophic failure one of these days, so I drive it as much and as hard as I can and enjoy it until the day of reckoning comes

See Mike Focke's most excellent pages on buying a used Boxster and changes from year to year

2 miles of driving isn't enough to get the oil warmed up, which is supposedly bad for these engines, especially if you believe those who say Mobil 1 0w40 comes directly from Satan and is designed specifically to kill Porsche engines

$267 is a lot for an oil change, even at the dealer. My local dealer usually charges just under $200 and does the full inspection along with the oil change.

Thanks for the info. and direction to Mike Focke's pages! I appreciate the real-world insight and look forward to trying out some other Boxster model years. Hopefully I will find something good and begin the next chapter. I had not thought to ask about glass on the rear window and I believe that might make a difference so that was also very helpful. Also glad to hear that $287 sounded off to someone other than myself. I found a local place here (through this forum as a matter of fact) that works on Porsche's and he'll change the oil for lots less when I do get into my next Boxster. Somehow, I let that oil change be the final straw and now have to deal with it,but at least this time I'll know for sure I'm in the right vehicle! Live and learn! Thanks again!

Laura

:notworthy: UPDATE: I made the ultimate decision, took a financial hit on the 335i (so what - I didn't want to make big payments on a dull to me car), and am now the grinning ear-to-ear, proud owner of an '07 Cobalt Blue Boxster!!! It is CPO, so I will rest easy with warranty coverage for a bit over 3 more years!!! I drove about 7 hours each way yesterday to get my car and I LOVE IT! The Roar is a bit louder, I think, than my previous '05 and it is so different from the BMW in all ways I love. I look forward to staying tuned in here at Renntech and feel like I've come back home. I have wonderful things to say about Melbourne Porsche in Florida. Class act all the way if you ever wish to purchase from them. Particularly my salesman, Dermot Daley. I've never had such a good buying experience. They stayed late (past 7:30pm) and I was in and out of there with a trade in about 45 minutes! And rather than spend the night, I just had to keep driving that Boxster all the way home to South Carolina. I am thrilled! I do have a question, as always, though: I previously had the Bose system and now have Sound System Plus I believe it is called and, of course, it is pretty hideous (I know you don't buy this car for sound, so please don't chastise me for that). Is this a system that can have any aftermarket upgrades or is it pretty much a done deal like the BOSE was? I can't afford to do anything anytime soon, but thought I'd ask. I'll try to post a pic from the dealer picture so you can see how beautiful it is! Thanks for everything to the enthusiasts here!

Laura

post-38254-004651600 1285508246_thumb.jp

post-38254-032824000 1285508258_thumb.jp

Grats on that fine machine!

I have not found a good way to do an aftermarket system that's as good as the Bose option, although you can do one big thing. The plus option has enough sound, it's just missing the bass punch. You can install rear speakers with a subwoofer and an amp that powers on with the radio.

Bose was not a done deal as it was made out to be.Total farce come to think of it. Replacing the head unit and amp was a fairly easy job with huge benefits. Your options now are replace everything,speakers, headunit, and add subs and amp.

Nice car BTW.