Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

So bad month for my 2004 Cayenne S with 32k miles. Coolant problem fixed ($1,400) Drive shaft fixed ($1170) and now the starter is making strange after start grinding noise. I am out of warranty and thinking I should dump this car before I blow up another Visa card. Is the starter known to fail on these? I can't find anything in the forums about starter issues. Also is it worth sending Porsche a letter re: known problems with coolant design flaw and crappy drive shaft? Wondering if it's a waste of paper.

Edited by Gusfan

So bad month for my 2004 Cayenne S with 32k miles. Coolant problem fixed ($1,400) Drive shaft fixed ($1170) and now the starter is making strange after start grinding noise. I am out of warranty and thinking I should dump this car before I blow up another Visa card. Is the starter known to fail on these? I can't find anything in the forums about starter issues. Also is it worth sending Porsche a letter re: known problems with coolant design flaw and crappy drive shaft? Wondering if it's a waste of paper.

If you are getting a grinding noise from the starter after the engine starts, that is usually an indication that the bendix is sticking and staying extended a little too long.

This can almost always be solved by cleaning the shaft which extends the little gear. Do not use any lubricant which can catch and trap dirt in that area after cleaning.

Regards, Maurice.

• Upvote 1

Yes starter problems are typical after coolant pipe failure. Why? Because the starter is underneath them. Starter under water = not good.

Mine has been doing that on occasion for more than 20K miles. It was happening prior to the coolant pipes being replaced and has continued.

Last time I checked the starter itself was almost 1K from Porsche plus install.

Can't find the thread I started about this very subject two years ago but I'm no longer worried about it. Just another disappointment about these vehicles we're forced to live with.

It's the starter bendix bushing that makes the noise. It will never cause a no start condition just that annoying noise. I you decide to repair the unit, have it rebuilt for a fraction of the cost from the dealer and be sure to have the new oilite bushing properly oiled before installation.

My 2004S has been doing this for the past 15k mi. The kazoo sound is intermittent, happens mostly when the outdoor temps are below freezing and never does this when the engine is warm.

It sounds like the bendix is slow to retract.

The bendix should not turn that fast so the starter will fail, eventually. I will deal with it when it becomes difficult to start.

Edited by RickCiotti

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same problem. the service center recommend me to replace the starter that cost US$1600 totally.

is the cleaning a DIY'able work?

any brief procedure would be appreciated.

thks much!!

I had the noise (not grinding). Cleaned it, greased it etc. It lasted 1 year. I have to do it again. If it starts fine and you have the time and skills, do it yourself.

• 1 year later...

Hi Guys, mine will do this in the middle of a journey, not just after starting, could this still be the starter motor? or something else?

Just a very quick 'grrr' grinding noise for a split second, then gone for hours. I feel like i can almost feel it with my foot too.

• 1 year later...

I see that this is an old topic but I just purchased an 04 cayenne s recently and straight away had to replace the coolant pipes. Now my starter is making the "kazoo" noise about every 1 out of 4 starts, its quite annoying. I am confident I can replace the starter on my own but cannot for the life of me find a DIY or service manual to show me proper removal of the air intake manifold to get to the starter.

Can someone point me in the right direction perhaps?

I see that this is an old topic but I just purchased an 04 cayenne s recently and straight away had to replace the coolant pipes. Now my starter is making the "kazoo" noise about every 1 out of 4 starts, its quite annoying. I am confident I can replace the starter on my own but cannot for the life of me find a DIY or service manual to show me proper removal of the air intake manifold to get to the starter.

Can someone point me in the right direction perhaps?

Find one of the numerous DIY threads on the coolant pipes - the air intake manifold must come off for that job. It will be illustrated. I'd suggest getting new manifold gaskets before starting the job as you're are going on 10 years old.

• 1 month later...

I was able to put together a DIY of my own for this, does anyone know if you must remove the coolant pipes to pull the starter or is there enough room to get it out past them? It looks like there might be just enough room.

It looks like the top coolant lines run to the drivers side a bit to give you room to get it out but before i start i want to know if i just have to remove the air intake manifold or i have to go deeper.

i really dont want to drain the coolant system and remove those pipes, i just paid to have them upgraded and dont want to go tearing them back off.

It is fully possible to replace the starter without removing coolant pipes. It is very narrow, but it is possible, be patient and don't give up....

One hour job alltogether, if you have the servicemanual with the torques for the inletmanifoild, starter etc.

I was also a fool not to replace the starter when replacing the coolantpipes....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...