Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

CDR-210 upgrade to CDR-220 or CR-23. Worthwhile?

I have a '99 996 with the original CDR-210 head unit, 6 disk cd changer and M480 amp. I am considering switching out to a CDR-220 to get the AUX input for an iPod connection. Would this be a plug and play upgrade and would the 220 give any performance improvement? If not would a CR-23 switch make more sense, assuming it is even possible? I know the stock systems aren't great but I prefer the look of them in the dash over the more modern units.

Appreciate any guidance. Thanks.

I have a '99 996 with the original CDR-210 head unit, 6 disk cd changer and M480 amp. I am considering switching out to a CDR-220 to get the AUX input for an iPod connection. Would this be a plug and play upgrade and would the 220 give any performance improvement? If not would a CR-23 switch make more sense, assuming it is even possible? I know the stock systems aren't great but I prefer the look of them in the dash over the more modern units.

Appreciate any guidance. Thanks.

The CDR23 uses a fiber optic bus so I'd rule that one out. You could probably do the CDR-220 but you won't get charging for your iPod or be able to control it through the deck. You'd be much better off going with an after market stereo that has iPod, Bluetooth, etc. built-in. It's not that difficult and there's a number of threads with details on how to do this.

I just did this on my 1999 Cab and the sound was 2x better on the radio and 4x better coming thru the ipod. I wanted to stay close to original so aftermarket was not an option. You take a risk though buying a used radio, I am pretty lucky, bought mine on ebay and it came with the aux ipod adapter. I think the CDR-220 made my original speakers and oem amp worth keeping.

only way to connect an ipod/itouch to the CDR-23 is to contact Becker directly, speak with Daniel Antolino at Becker Auto Sound, and then pull out and send them the CDR-23. I was quoted $175 to have an aux-in installed on the radio. My understanding is that any attached ipod will play using its own controls, but will not be charged by the radio.

Most importantly, I don't think the CDR-23 will work in your car, as it only works with the MOST fiber optic system. I think the other posters are likely correct regarding a possible swap for the CDR-220, but I don't know for sure.

It's a mystery why the CDR-23 was not made with an aux-in port. Oh well. And I dont believe ipods had even been invented when this radio was oem in Porsches.

as an aside, my wife paid about $700 to have an iPod cable attached to her '06 Lexus. It works great. I use a lighter plug-in fm transmitter for books in my C4S. It also works great.

Edited by judgejon

Hi,

If interested in connecting MP3 to the Stock Porsche (Becker) stereo (E.G. CDR220). I think I may still have a link to purchase these connectors for less than $40? You connect to the cD Changer interface, so you will lose your changer, but can connect any MP3 player. Does not charge it, just plays through mini RCA Jack. Let me know if interested and I will see if I can locate the link again.

DC

Interested Bump!

Sorry...Been offline a couple days...I will look it up and post soon.

DC

OK Guys, Sorry I was busy last week. Here is a link to one of the connections mentioned. Once on this site, you can easily poke around for different connectors that may fit your application. Also an

opportunity for research on the application of these connectors on their site. Prices seemed reasonable to me, and I had one on a previous car and worked perfectly.

Click Here

Good luck!

DC

• Upvote 1

Interested Bump!

Sorry...Been offline a couple days...I will look it up and post soon.

DC

OK Guys, Sorry I was busy last week. Here is a link to one of the connections mentioned. Once on this site, you can easily poke around for different connectors that may fit your application. Also an

opportunity for research on the application of these connectors on their site. Prices seemed reasonable to me, and I had one on a previous car and worked perfectly.

Click Here

Good luck!

DC

Perfect! Thank you!

• 1 year later...

I wanted to make anyone who is considering shipping their CDR-23 off to Becker as judgejon suggests aware that is is a MONO input and sounds awful for music. Do not waste your money, you will be sorely disappointed. I ended up coughing up the $400 for the Dension unit (from bumperplugs.com) and it was worth every penny. Just wish I had the money I thew away on the aux in from Becker back.

I looked into this when I got my 99MY C2. I too wanted to keep the stock look but in the end just replaced my CDR with a Kenwood KDBT61U. Trying to work round keeping the (now ancient) Becker in the end seemed just too much hassle and not worth the £.

The Kenwood only has one knob and you can change the display to (pretty much) match the Porsche amber colour. It has Parrot bluetooth built in and a rear USB connection for your iPhone / iPod, etc. The iPod integration is excellent. I'm happy with this.

Bought a 9 dollar tape adapter. It's just a tape that goes in and plays. It has a headphone jack on it that goes in my iPhone. This 9 dollar Philips tape came from rite-aid .Sounds good and have not had any problems. It even works when I'm talking on the phone. That was my temporary fix untill I could buy a proper head unit from crutchfield .