Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I would like to perform some basic upgrades to the intake / exhaust system on my 997.2 DFI C2S.

I curently run the PSE, and want to keep the functionality of that system intact.

I am thinking of removing the primary muffler/resonator and replacing with an X pipe.

Fabspeed and AWE offer a nice inexpensive kit which is simple to install. Both seem to contradict each other. AWE philosphy is you will lose some power with Xpipe system ?

Also considering modifiying the intake system.

1, BMC cone filters - simple, inexpensive. OR. 2. Fabspeed's CF intake system. Only issue is you lose the OEM look.

Followed by a tasty non stock remap.

high 420 bhp.

Any thoughts......

Molar

• Upvote 1

I considered doing basically the same mods you are talking about. I think in order to get the increase in horsepower you are hoping for you will also need to reprogram the ECU. I suspect without reprogramming, the stock ECU will automatically make adjustments to your engine that will prevent you from achieving the gains in torque and horsepower you are seeking.

For me I think my money is better spent taking a driving course from someone that can teach me how to really drive my car the way it is designed to be driven. I suspect I am really only utilizing about half of its performance and handling capabilities.

Adding more torque and horsepower definitely is fun for rapid starts and acceleration so the mods you are considering plus reprogramming the ECU I agree are very appealing, but for me I think I will take some performance driving lessons. Then if I think my C4S is too anemic I will consider dropping some bucks into the mods.

Keep us posted on what you decide to do. I would love to hear how the mods work for you and see a dyno of the changes in performance you achieve.

Good luck!

MWS

The 997-2 is a good airbox. The Fabspeed CF system will allow your car to suck hot air (heat shield or no heat shield). Maybe just go with a BMC filter in the stock box. Don't know about the X pipe.. If you flash the car go with the Softronic. It is the most flexible and you can keep your stock map in your laptop in case you need to return it to stock... As for the Exhaust the X-51 headers were a great mod for the 997-1. I don't know if the manifold design changed on the new DFI engine.. You could call the guys at Sunset or Suncoast and find out..

Hope this helps..

hotair with the fabspeed- really? I'd like to learn more. I installed the 997.2 fabspeed air intake kit and have been very happy with it. I have not put it on a dyno, but the "kick-in-pants" test seems to indicate more power above 3500 rpms. I did install a carbon fiber heat shield and after spirited driving, opening the engine bay and touching intake/filters, I ascertained there is very little or no additional heat from factory airbox. The only thing I have to be careful with is when I wash the car and open the rear lid to clean off any excess water, seems like the 911 suddenly dumps a bucket-full of H20.

Howdy,

I thought these types of after market mods, exhaust and intake manifold, but especially remapping would void the warranty!! This being a 997-C2S posting, I'm assuming the warranty is still in effect.

Observations and comments are appreciated,

Thanks!

Ed

Remapping/Chips will definitely void warranty as will changing headers. Airbox and exhaust mods are for the most part, ok and will not void the warranty. Best to check with dealer first. On changing the airbox, my dealer was fine and said warranty would still be valid as long as I kept paper filters, they hate any filters that use oil as that can clog up the mass air flow sensors and they dont want to be liable.

Howdy,

I thought these types of after market mods, exhaust and intake manifold, but especially remapping would void the warranty!! This being a 997-C2S posting, I'm assuming the warranty is still in effect.

Observations and comments are appreciated,

Thanks!

Ed

Totally depends on your dealer. Headers will not void your warranty if they are Porsche headers (aka X-51.)

I have an extended CPO warranty on my 07 Turbo. My service manager knows I have flashed the CPU and I have a Tech Art exhaust. He looks the other way because I have a good relationship with him. I have had the car in a couple times with no issues..

Some dealers will keep your warranty in good standing if you let them do the mods.

Like the other poster said... Check with your dealer.. They are all different..

Edited by phillipj

• 2 weeks later...

You guys are pissing up a rope! Short of PSE, X-51 headers and air box, add-ons do little and may in fact reduce power! Take a look at 5mm spacers and a 24mm rear stab bar if you have a stick transmission.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

The Porsche DME/ECU needs to be programmed to gain more power and torqque beyond a certain limit. The DME has factory set torqque limits. I performed the Fabspeed X-pipe and CAI. Feels like some useful power was made, but until I had the ECU re-flashed, it did not feel like the mods had come to work together. The Powerchip reflash indicates the highest gain from ECU retune, 29.5 Hp gain. The tuning method is different from Softronic, GIAC and Evomsit. I have spoken to Bill Ingram from Powerchiop who actually wrote this tune. You will notice that after your air-filter, exhaust and ECu retune that in hard acceleration of the line in the dry, that the traction control indicator light will come on in the dash. This does not happen without the above mods. Have fun, and good luck.

• 3 months later...

All these "addon" mods are highly suspect to be just marketing hype until they are proven on multiple dyno runs on multiple cars by independent 3rd parties.

I wrote about this few years ago in my blog - Product claims and dynos -- and reality

My comments are just as true today as they were then...

Hello Loren,

I don't think so. My 2005 Carrera 2 was not very clean and strong from 5K rpm to redline, after a good run-in process...noisy but lacked any conviction or alacrety [looks wrong--no dictionary!]. So, sports muffler-exhaust from EVO motorsport[same as the Fabspeed offering actually], and beautiful headers that they provided and recomended in 2005 as 'better than their own". The sound was electrifying at full throttle, very quite cruising at any rpm above 2500rpm, and it burst through the previous 'barrier' of 5K rpm and raced through to redline. In fact I had to be very careful not to let it exceed that, as the 3.6L engine had a very soft limiter [never understod pAG reasoning for that}. A heads-up illumination at the windscreen level would have been nice.

But I learned to change at 6900-7000 to be on the safe side...of course it worked!

Now I should get some of the brownee points that you have. "Reputation" of that amazing level is not going to last with advice such as you just gave! I think we have met somewhere, someweb before?

Cheers KiwiCanuck

• Admin

All these "addon" mods are highly suspect to be just marketing hype until they are proven on multiple dyno runs on multiple cars by independent 3rd parties.

I wrote about this few years ago in my blog - Product claims and dynos -- and reality

My comments are just as true today as they were then...

Hello Loren,

I don't think so. My 2005 Carrera 2 was not very clean and strong from 5K rpm to redline, after a good run-in process...noisy but lacked any conviction or alacrety [looks wrong--no dictionary!]. So, sports muffler-exhaust from EVO motorsport[same as the Fabspeed offering actually], and beautiful headers that they provided and recomended in 2005 as 'better than their own". The sound was electrifying at full throttle, very quite cruising at any rpm above 2500rpm, and it burst through the previous 'barrier' of 5K rpm and raced through to redline. In fact I had to be very careful not to let it exceed that, as the 3.6L engine had a very soft limiter [never understod pAG reasoning for that}. A heads-up illumination at the windscreen level would have been nice.

But I learned to change at 6900-7000 to be on the safe side...of course it worked!

Now I should get some of the brownee points that you have. "Reputation" of that amazing level is not going to last with advice such as you just gave! I think we have met somewhere, someweb before?

Cheers KiwiCanuck

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

My remarks here and in the blog I linked to have to do with measurable improvements - not seat of the pants "feel". As I stated some modifications can actually lose power and/or torque while sounding or "feeling" better.

Your opinion is your opinion - and my opinion is mine.