Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

IMS Death Rattle Symptoms

Hello all:

I have tried searching the forum posts on identifying symptoms for the IMS issue, unsuccessfully, as I have a new intermittent condition that showed its ugly head while driving today. Loren, the search feature of the site seems hit and miss, sometimes returns 0 results, but resend seems to get them. I tried search IMS issues, IMS bearing, Death Rattle, etc. but I am not getting anything significant in the search results.

I have an issue that started this morning (cold start) and re-occured in my evening commute (cold start). When the car gets to around 3,000 RPMs, it begins to shake and vibrate like it has a steering or dented alloy wheel issue, easing off the accelerator cures the problem and pushing the accelerator down hard again sees the problem return intermittently. Was unable to reproduce the problem after stopping briefly in town, though I could not go as fast as I could when I felt the more exaggerated vibrations and shaking on the highway. Steering wheels also squeaks when I turn it, though could be unrelated.

Can anyone help me understand the tell-tale symptoms of IMS issues, or provide any insight into what this might be? Car has a platinum warranty through Carfax.

Thanks,

Alf

I'm certainly not an expert (eg. experienced more than once) but I have experienced an IMS failure on my 2004 C4S. Two major symptoms:

1. As I was driving along the highway (slowly) the engine suddenly sounded like a bucket of bolts in a drum being dragged behind the car (that being said, I turned off the engine, turned back on after 5 min and the sound went away.

2. Two hours later, I had 5 quarts of oil puddled under the engine.

Then, drove directly to the dealer (Sewickly Car Store, Pgh PA - a real plug these guys are terrific!!!). Relaying the story to the Service Manager he said "aw - that's not good, really not good..." I asked "what does really not good mean..." New engine required. I was 18 months out of warranty - Porsche covered the cost of the engine, I paid the cost of the labor to install at cost. As part of this I upgraded to the X50 Engine. All things considered, it worked out well for me.

Good luck!

I'm certainly not an expert (eg. experienced more than once) but I have experienced an IMS failure on my 2004 C4S. Two major symptoms:

1. As I was driving along the highway (slowly) the engine suddenly sounded like a bucket of bolts in a drum being dragged behind the car (that being said, I turned off the engine, turned back on after 5 min and the sound went away.

2. Two hours later, I had 5 quarts of oil puddled under the engine.

Then, drove directly to the dealer (Sewickly Car Store, Pgh PA - a real plug these guys are terrific!!!). Relaying the story to the Service Manager he said "aw - that's not good, really not good..." I asked "what does really not good mean..." New engine required. I was 18 months out of warranty - Porsche covered the cost of the engine, I paid the cost of the labor to install at cost. As part of this I upgraded to the X50 Engine. All things considered, it worked out well for me.

Good luck!

p.m. on the way to you.... Cheers, jl

Update***

The car is running fine today, but there is a squeaking noise when I turn the steering wheel left or right. Can't see how it is related to the symptoms yesterday, as I was going pretty much in a straight line. Perhaps it's just the paranoia of listening to the car's every move. Weird, it was quite undriveable when it happened yesterday, more violent than subtle.

Was the problem RPM related or speed related. I.E. was is at 3,000 RPM in any gear, or just at 3,000 RPM on the highway in one gear. From the description it sounds more steering/wheel related than engine. Could also be a transmission/engine mount. I doubt an IMS that gets bad enough to shake the car would just get better.

Also, if you are in New Jersey you have had ice and snow, could have been some ice on a wheel.

It seemed to be 3,000 RPMs regardless of speed, but more than it seemed related to acceleration up to and beyond 3k rpms. Your ice theory might be correct, both to and from work there were patches of icey snow I had to pass over. Definitely nothing I have ever experienced before and seemingly steering or wheel related. I've never had ice on a wheel like though, so I can't be certain what it was.

It seemed to be 3,000 RPMs regardless of speed, but more than it seemed related to acceleration up to and beyond 3k rpms. Your ice theory might be correct, both to and from work there were patches of icey snow I had to pass over. Definitely nothing I have ever experienced before and seemingly steering or wheel related. I've never had ice on a wheel like though, so I can't be certain what it was.

squeak? maybe PS fluid?

check to see if your wheels are balanced.

always a chance you lost a weight.

also check to see if there are any pending codes

mike

Well, we can dismiss the ice theory. Driving to Newark airport earlier this week the symptom repeated more violently and the CEL came on. However, the CEL went out when I shut off the engine and was clear upon start-up again. I am taking it to my trusted indy on Monday AM for a check of what codes may have occured. Definitely not good news, I'll post up the issues after they've checked it over and made any repairs or otherwise. It is a very strong shaking/vibration, which occures at between 3-4K PRMS (didn't push it higher) when accelerating and stops when I ease off the gas. If I drive slowly up to 3k RPMs, it doesn't happen. Indy thinks it may be cylinder related, but that's based on my loose symptoms over the phone.

• Upvote 1

Okay, so the indy was able to check the codes thrown up when the CEL came on and found it to be related to the Knock sensor. Seems the Knock sensor has failing and was allowing combustion in the engine, hence the violent vibrations I was getting was moving through 3-4k RPMs. Fingers crossed the expensive and supposedly comprehensive warranty I have covers it, as they need to perform further diagnostics to understand if any damage was done to the engine and be sure that's the only issue, not to mention the knock sensor, while not being particularly expensive in itself, is situated under the engine manifold so a little bit tricky to get to, to say the least, and definitely a hefty labor cost. At this point, all my knowledge on the subject tells me is that engine knock is rarely good news, but you never know.

Okay, so the indy was able to check the codes thrown up when the CEL came on and found it to be related to the Knock sensor. Seems the Knock sensor has failing and was allowing combustion in the engine, hence the violent vibrations I was getting was moving through 3-4k RPMs. Fingers crossed the expensive and supposedly comprehensive warranty I have covers it, as they need to perform further diagnostics to understand if any damage was done to the engine and be sure that's the only issue, not to mention the knock sensor, while not being particularly expensive in itself, is situated under the engine manifold so a little bit tricky to get to, to say the least, and definitely a hefty labor cost. At this point, all my knowledge on the subject tells me is that engine knock is rarely good news, but you never know.

Glad to hear that you got it sorted out!