Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Where do you park your Porsche

My wife thinks I'm nuts. I refuse to park my car 'just anywhere' as she does with her Cross Country. If I can't find a reasonably secure place out in the open to park one that leaves enough space between my car and the next (both sides and front and back) I simply won't park my car. I stay with it and circle until I can find one. In addition, I refuse to park in any public or private garages and under no circumstances WHATSOEVER will I leave my car with a parking attendant or valet...

Is this nuts or not?

Thx...

Jim :cheers:

Like I said on my rennlist posting:

NO valet parking

NO car washes of ANY kind

NO parking under trees

NO parking under other coupes (long doors, Mustangs, for instance)

NO parking next to cars that look all dinged and stuff

If I have to walk 2 miles back to where I was going but that gives me piece of mind... I'll do it...

How is that for nutz?

Heheheheh...

Corey

1- Nope- you're not nutz!

2- What's wrong with a little OCD? I just waxed my 04 Murano- it's Canada, winter, 0 degree's, snow etc,etc.

smdb01us

- I used to park my old Jag next to my neighbor's MB in an underground parkade. After a few month's my door looked like a ripple chip, just couldn't believe the guy. You never know who or what is parked next to you. Take no chances.

Brad

What's your reason for not parking in a garage?

I park in spaces that do not have another space on the right side to minimize ding. Parking structure often have pillars which create wide space between cars. I also check for overhead leaky pipes in garages. No parking on steep ramps in structure as doors can fly open.

I personally dont know anyone who refuses to park in a public or private garage. I completely understand staying away from tight spaces and parking away from the fray. Certainly , I also understand not letting that 18 year old valet park your car. But how do you go to business meetings, ballgames, cultural events etc. without parking in a public or private garage?

Car theft in public garages is the main reason. Public garages especially on the top most and bottom most areas are very common sites for car theft and brake-ins. I got hit twice. Luckily not in my Porsche, but a BMW and Volvo. Lots of damage. I'd rather be on a public street out in the wide open with people out and about...

Thx...

I have parked my 996 in the busiest streets in the city centre of Liverpool.

And for anywone who knows Liverpool that is as risky as it can be!

Once had the cab top stabbed and a few times had near parked door collision scratches. But that's what I pay the insurance for.

.....but I do worry about it when it's parked up and usually will look for the safest place to park.

Here's some other novel ideas :clapping:

post-137-1104326616_thumb.jpg

post-137-1104326668_thumb.jpg

post-137-1104326693_thumb.jpg

My wife and i agree on this one, away from anyone else, no where near any other car if at possible. As for Valet, a good tip prior to the parking and standing and WATCHING him drive it to its spot is the best. You would be suprised how well they drive when you watch and TIP prior to leaving.

But this is the best ive gotten so far!

post-3875-1104343142_thumb.jpg

My wife and agree to be careful. We usually don't use valets, rather tip them to keep it on the porte cochere. We have never been denied.

I would add to your list: Park on "high ground". A sudden rainstorm and flood (not hurricane!) in New Orleans turned my 1986 911 into a U-boat. Fortunately the insurance paid well. It was a sorry sight, however.

I always park in the north 40 area of parking lots. Usually a couple of minute walk to my destination. If I have no choice, I will never park next to 2 door vehichle - the doors are longer and easier to get dinged!

One thing I have noticed here in Maryland is that the parking spaces here are narrower than other states. Has anyone else noticed the trend toward smaller parking spaces?

It never fails though that however isolated the parking spot I choose, there is a better than 50-50 chance that someone will be parked next to me when I return. :o