Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

• Moderators

I do not need his page. He tried to do it about 3-4 years ago with the button/switch and it did not work.

Now, he, Yoseif, has a site

I asked my mechanic friend, Peter, to turn it on and it worked, just to find out the owner had reversed the wires. The woman in the background is my secretary, by the way. The guy with the PST2 is Peter. The guy standing outside the car is the owner. I took the picture.

Peter gave me a copy of the OBC retrofit instructions with the 4 stalk switch assembly, and then it showed up on the internet. Then pictures of me and Dan working on Brue's car showed up on the internet.

This is very old stuff. I do the retrofit a bit differently these days. Plus there was a wiring change in 2001 for the Boxster and in 2002 for the 996.

post-4-1105312050_thumb.jpg

Jeff

What is described on "whiteson.org/boxster/mods/obc/" seems very straightforward, and the fact that Paul Marsh's garage shows that he did the mod recently using the switch, inspired me to have a go. Are you saying that it can't be done with the switch? Are the wiring instructions wrong?

Those instructions basically show a toggled earth connection to pin 21 for the mode-up signal or to pin 25 for the reset. (Mine is a 98 car). PLEASE let me know as soon as you can if this is wrong.

Edited by Richard Hamilton

• Moderators

We do it with the switch. Some people even do it with 2 switches. I would rather do it with the stalk because then it is like factory, but some owners want the switch.

It is simple. There are 3 wires. Ground, and the other 2 go to 21 and 25 in the white connector to the back of the instrument cluster, for your year.

There is no electricity in the wires. By moving the switch back and forth you create a grounded circuit.

This is the wiring harness I make. Most people use the footwell switch but you can use any Porsche dash switch you like.

If you can see the outside temp display then the trip computer is already turned on.

post-4-1105385742_thumb.jpg

Jeff,

What exactly are Molex connectors, what size are they, and can you get them anywhere except the VW dealer?

Fry's, radioshack?

Thanks

Dan

We do it with the switch.  Some people even do it with 2 switches.  I would rather do it with the stalk because then it is like factory, but some owners want the switch.

It is simple.  There are 3 wires.  Ground, and the other 2 go to 21 and 25 in the white connector to the back of the instrument cluster, for your year.

There is no electricity in the wires.  By moving the switch back and forth you create a grounded circuit.

This is the wiring harness I make.  Most people use the footwell switch but you can use any Porsche dash switch you like.

If you can see the outside temp display then the trip computer is already turned on.

• Moderators

They are made by AMP not Molex. I went to Fry's many years ago and did not find anything that was exactly right. Then Peter figured out what VW wires were an exact fit for an OBC retrofit. Then we started using the VW wires because they already have the correct pins crimped on and they are only $2 per wire.

The wires are for a Golf recall from about 10 years ago and I have been afraid the source would dry up, so I tried to find the part number for just the pins.

The pins in the pic go into the OBC connector and into the instrument cluster on a 2001 up Boxster or a 2000 up 996. I have not been able to find the pins that go into the cluster connector for a 1997-2000 Boxster/1999-2001 996 - but in reality you can get these pins in the pic into the connector and they work fine

I was thinking at one time of buying the pins and making a wiring harness, but it is so much easier with the VW wires. And I am not good crimping a pin that small.

post-4-1105410975_thumb.jpg

So, the VW wires are still available?

Any particular dealer where they have a better supply?

Dan

They are made by AMP not Molex.  I went to Fry's many years ago and did not find anything that was exactly right.  Then Peter figured out what VW wires were an exact fit for an OBC retrofit.  Then we started using the VW wires because they already have the correct pins crimped on and they are only $2 per wire.

The wires are for a Golf recall from about 10 years ago and I have been afraid the source would dry up, so I tried to find the part number for just the pins.

The pins in the pic go into the OBC connector and into the instrument cluster on a 2001 up Boxster or a 2000 up 996.  I have not been able to find the pins that go into the cluster connector for a 1997-2000 Boxster/1999-2001 996 - but in reality you can get these pins in the pic into the connector and they work fine 

I was thinking at one time of buying the pins and making a wiring harness, but it is so much easier with the VW wires.  And I am not good crimping a pin that small.

• Moderators

Since Peter works for Stevens Creek and we have done lots of retrofits they usually have them in stock. They use to be a VW dealer.

They have a bin with all kinds of yellow wires that look the same but do not work, so I sort through the bin to make sure I get the correct ones.

post-4-1105412621_thumb.jpg

Since Peter works for Stevens Creek and we have done lots of retrofits they usually have them in stock.  They use to be a VW dealer.

They have a bin with all kinds of yellow wires that look the same but do not work, so I sort through the bin to make sure I get the correct ones.

Thanks Jeff,

I guess that if I go the SC and check in the parts dept. with the part number I should end up with the correct wire? VW Wire (#000.979.010)

Is there anyone in the parts dept. that knows about these wires and which ones work?

Dan

Edited by dan (san Jose)

• Moderators

That is the problem, there are no part numbers on any of the yellow wires. If the wires have been mixed up then you need to know what the pins look like when you sort through. They are shipped in a plastic bag with a part number on the bag, and if they are still in the bag then you have a better chance at getting the correct wires. If they have been removed from the bag then they get mixed up with all the yellow wires in the bin.

Ask for George at the parts counter because I have shown him the difference - if he remembers.

Edit. I spoke to George and they are in stock.

Edited by Tool Pants

That is the problem, there are no part numbers on any of the yellow wires.  If the wires have been mixed up then you need to know what the pins look like when you sort through.  They are shipped in a plastic bag with a part number on the bag, and if they are still in the bag then you have a better chance at getting the correct wires.  If they have been removed from the bag then they get mixed up with all the yellow wires in the bin. 

Ask for George at the parts counter because I have shown him the difference - if he remembers.

Thanks again for your time and knowledge Jeff! :thumbup:

Thank you for all the information Jeff. I ordered the wires from my local VW dealer and they should be in today. They were readily available from VAG UK. Maybe all us Porsche guys buying these leads are causing the factory to remanufacture them!

ps. I should be able to email you the pictures we discussed on Thursday.

• Moderators

Someone at VW must be scratching their head as to why they are still selling and selling a lot of these VW wires to correct an electrical problem on a 10 year old VW.

And if Porsche in Germany has not figure out what we are doing, they must wonder why they sell so many 4 stalk switch assemblies or switches.

I had Pioneer Porsche in San Diego do mine... After looking around for wiring instructions I finally got fed up and just let them do it. At first I too wanted the stock lever (mostly for the look). Then when I was told the cost I opted for one button. By doing it with one button you lose the speed gong functionality... I had them wire it for 2 buttons but have yet to install the second.

Funny thing though, the installer (Moe) had a real diffacult time getting the button to light up when the head lights are turned on. . . So if and when I take it back, he wants to fiddle with it a little more. He said that it was the strangest thing that he ever saw...

Paul

Don't foret gents, even if you wire it up correctly you still have to go in and turn it on by programing it into the computer... Another reason why I just let my dealeship tackle this one for me. The guys down here at Pioneer are just great! I would personally reccomend Shaun Puno (Service advisor) and Moe (Master mechanic) any time.

• 11 years later...

They are made by AMP not Molex. I went to Fry's many years ago and did not find anything that was exactly right. Then Peter figured out what VW wires were an exact fit for an OBC retrofit. Then we started using the VW wires because they already have the correct pins crimped on and they are only $2 per wire. The wires are for a Golf recall from about 10 years ago and I have been afraid the source would dry up, so I tried to find the part number for just the pins. The pins in the pic go into the OBC connector and into the instrument cluster on a 2001 up Boxster or a 2000 up 996. I have not been able to find the pins that go into the cluster connector for a 1997-2000 Boxster/1999-2001 996 - but in reality you can get these pins in the pic into the connector and they work fine I was thinking at one time of buying the pins and making a wiring harness, but it is so much easier with the VW wires. And I am not good crimping a pin that small.

So I finally decided to do this mod but man have things changed (or i was miss quoted twice). I checked at my local VW dealer. The WV part #000-979-010 is $21.00 EACH... When I asked why so much the response was, "Well they're gold plated..." Oh My Gosh..., I rushed to the Porsche dealer and ordered the Porsche part #999-652-901-22 for $0.60 each (ordered 10). They will be here in 3 days tops... Crazy how these parts are priced...

They are made by AMP not Molex. I went to Fry's many years ago and did not find anything that was exactly right. Then Peter figured out what VW wires were an exact fit for an OBC retrofit. Then we started using the VW wires because they already have the correct pins crimped on and they are only $2 per wire. The wires are for a Golf recall from about 10 years ago and I have been afraid the source would dry up, so I tried to find the part number for just the pins. The pins in the pic go into the OBC connector and into the instrument cluster on a 2001 up Boxster or a 2000 up 996. I have not been able to find the pins that go into the cluster connector for a 1997-2000 Boxster/1999-2001 996 - but in reality you can get these pins in the pic into the connector and they work fine I was thinking at one time of buying the pins and making a wiring harness, but it is so much easier with the VW wires. And I am not good crimping a pin that small.

So I finally decided to do this mod but man have things changed (or i was miss quoted twice). I checked at my local VW dealer. The WV part #000-979-010 is $21.00 EACH... When I asked why so much the response was, "Well they're gold plated..." Oh My Gosh..., I rushed to the Porsche dealer and ordered the Porsche part #999-652-901-22 for $0.60 each (ordered 10). They will be here in 3 days tops... Crazy how these parts are priced...

Well, the best solution is to buy a complete premade harness from pdwight

http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/53134-obc-addition-cables.html

I visited my local u-pull-it. Discovered VW window control uses the same pins. I purchased the entire harness for $3.65 (about 24" long). I pulled the pins out of the VW housing and inserted into the instrument cluster connector. 100% perfect fit. 24" was a little long so trimmed it down. I put new pin connectors on the other end and it all worked perfectly. Feeling very accomplished. Total investment; about $10 and happily invested about 2 hours of Porsche tinker time (free)...

• 1 year later...

Update to an old thread:  (This is an update only about the harness - the procedure has previously been well documented by others .)

I recently purchased a 99 996.  I came across several posts in the 996 and 986 forums dealing with the OBC hack. Most were at least 2 years old and most were dealing with the hack via a switch.  However, a few mentioned the stalk conversion. Since I wanted mine to look completely original that is the way I went.  So, with the parts list in hand and letting my fingers do the shopping,  (how many of you are old enough to get that reference) but by computer instead of phone, I found the cost of the parts had skyrocketed, up to almost 40 bucks for the wiring harness parts alone and I would still end up with a bunch of yellow non original looking wires.  Then I came across a reference to "Pdwight" and how he could make the entire harness.  One post I read said said his harness was really nice and the buyer would not be disappointed.  So I tried to get in touch with Pdwight and after a few tries I found his current email. I ordered the harness and it is fantastic!! It looks and fits just like an OEM harness.  So if anyone wants to do the OBC hack I would definitely buy the stalk used and get the harness made by pdwight for only a few bucks more than I could make it myself.  Current email for him is pdwight@att.net5a99d1098cb89_20180302_1343031.thumb.jpg.577567b32137f8e931b53e6cec17e915.jpg

20180302_134314[1].jpg

20180302_134329[1].jpg