Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Break in oil...

Well, there's always someone... I had my oil tested after 2K miles www.youroil.com and the result was a very high content of metal. Fearing that the motor wasn't operating properly I changed the oil. Had it tested again at 5K and metal content was "within normal range." I have no explanation as to why this happened, or whether it happens with all new motors, but I just didn't want to take any chance. Worse case was that I spent some money foolishly on an unnecessary oil change.

Well, there's always someone...  I had my oil tested after 2K miles  www.youroil.com  and the result was a very high content of metal.  Fearing that the motor wasn't operating properly I changed the oil.  Had it tested again at 5K and metal content was "within normal range."  I have no explanation as to why this happened, or whether it happens with all new motors, but I just didn't want to take any chance.  Worse case was that I spent some money foolishly on an unnecessary oil change.

Don, I agree about not taking any chances. Shouldn't the oil filter have trapped the metal in the oil?

Well, there's always someone...  I had my oil tested after 2K miles  www.youroil.com  and the result was a very high content of metal.  Fearing that the motor wasn't operating properly I changed the oil.  Had it tested again at 5K and metal content was "within normal range."  I have no explanation as to why this happened, or whether it happens with all new motors, but I just didn't want to take any chance.  Worse case was that I spent some money foolishly on an unnecessary oil change.

Don, I agree about not taking any chances. Shouldn't the oil filter have trapped the metal in the oil?

These weren'e little pieces, but just metal "residue" for lack of a better word, that did in fact go thru the filter. The company provided a tube and small bellows to you can "suck" the oul right of the dipstick hole. There also a higher than normal amount of silicone in the oil. I've got the report on a pdf file somewhere. If I can fined it I'll send it to you. For 18bucks it was worth it for me to check.

Don,

Did the test tell you which metals were high? My guess is it was Molybdenum which is used as an assembly lube on all of the bearing surfaces thus leading to a rather high content of moly in the oil. Some manufacturers (such as Honda in the S2000) claim to use a special breakin oil that they recommend leaving in for the full breakin period (it is supposedly high in moly). I have never heard of Porsche doing this.

Edited by Dr. T

Your intitial oil analysis will always show various other content besides the motor oil that was put in the engine. This is due to the various greases, etc, that are used when assembling the various components in the engine. However, NO engine manufacture that I know of still uses anything other than the recommended oil when shipping the car for delivery.

• Admin

Porsche use Optimol Optipit for bearings and normal grease for some sealing surfaces (o-rings).

OPTIMOL OPTIPIT®-brownish, transparent tacky grease based on lithium-12-hydroxystearate with extremely high oil viscosity.

MICROFLUX TRANS® (TRANS=Triple Action Non-sacrificial Surface engineering) improves friction surfaces to an extent not possible with normal machining processes and conventional EP lubricants. In a tribological system, the polarized MICROFLUX TRANS® additives instantaneously create a passive film on friction surfaces before friction occurs. At a given load level, the MICROFLUX TRANS® additives release compounds forming a resistant protective layer on friction surfaces. Under severe load, components of the MICROFLUX TRANS® additive combination are activated and diffuse into the surfaces initiating an improvement of their friction characteristics through plastic deformation. The organic reaction products become a component of the tribopolymer system.

Unlike the case with conventional lubricants, the tribopolymers formed by MICROFLUX TRANS® are longchained compounds with excellent lubricity and adhesion.

The load carrying area is improved, a hydrodynamic lubrication film is easier to maintain. This unique physiochemical reaction is OPTIMOL surface engineering and achieves a non-sacrificial micro-smoothing of the friction surfaces.

The MICROFLUX TRANS® additive technology provides optimum wear protection and  in extremely low coefficient of friction even under extremes of pressure, vibration, shock loads, at high or low speeds or varying operational conditions.

OPTIMOL OPTIPIT builds up a stable grease collar at the bearing edges, supporting the seals to prevent penetration of dirt, water and other contaminations.

OPTIMOL OPTIPIT enables a hydrodynamic lubricating film even at low speeds.

High silicone is probably from the gasket sealer used at assembly.

You're probably right. Still looking for the actual report, but as I said, the 2nd check proved ok after another 3K.

BTW, we lived in Seattle from 91-97. We owned a company called Griffin Envelope and our VP Sales was Joe Ritchie who lived in Botehell.

I don't know about Porsche but after building a few motors myself taught by a Nascar mechanic a non-detergent oil is preferred so that everything seats better, along with specific rev holding for a time for breaking in the cam-

Don: If that was in your Cayenne, it is entirely normal. The alusil block has silicone dispersed within the metal, not a liner. The aluminum is scraped from the cylinder walls and some silicone goes with it. That why the oil is so black. Aluminum blackens when oxidized (scour an aluminum kitchen pan) unlike ferrous metals (orange)