Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

My Cayenne S has a couple of strange things going on I was hoping someone can help me out with. Mileage is right at 84 k

1. Occasionally when I pull to a stop or slow down almost completely stopped ( like rolling through a stop sign :rolleyes:, I hear a single "thump" that seems to come from underneath the front passanger seats. It's not all the time and is always a single thump... any ideas? something loose down there perhaps? what should I check?

2 My key FOB's have BOTH stopped working. but one "actual key" will start the car, my other key will unlock it but will not start the car and gives a message on the screen that I can't recall exactly (needs programmed? expensive?) Also, for some reason when I unlock the car, my alarm goes off IMMEDIATELY, instead of the usual 20-30 seconds if I don't insert the key. not sure why this changed all of a sudden.

3. My instrument cluster LCD has been acting strange for a while... image kinda shakes and some of the data normally present is not legible. ( this comes and goes ) and I notice it more during the day. Every thing is nice and bright in the evening/night

4. i have the crazy servo thing in my dash... sometimes it sounds like something is alive in there. Is there a way to fix that? I do have some extended warranty but not sure if it would be covered. in conjuntion, the driver and passenger have seperat temp controls on the ac but the "fan speed" seems to be linked together ( seems like when I bought the car each person had control of fan speed) any way to "un-link" them?

5 finally, need some direction on brake pads... is there a good resource for pads ( low dust ) that you can recommend?

I'll stop there for now, thanks for any help!

John

Comments below: >

And if you have a CPO as your extended warranty take your vehicle into a Porsche dealer ASAP. Much of this should be covered.

My Cayenne S has a couple of strange things going on I was hoping someone can help me out with. Mileage is right at 84 k

1. Occasionally when I pull to a stop or slow down almost completely stopped ( like rolling through a stop sign :rolleyes:, I hear a single "thump" that seems to come from underneath the front passanger seats. It's not all the time and is always a single thump... any ideas? something loose down there perhaps? what should I check?

> Could be many issues -- drive shaft, suspension, etc. Any codes surfacing?

2 My key FOB's have BOTH stopped working. but one "actual key" will start the car, my other key will unlock it but will not start the car and gives a message on the screen that I can't recall exactly (needs programmed? expensive?) Also, for some reason when I unlock the car, my alarm goes off IMMEDIATELY, instead of the usual 20-30 seconds if I don't insert the key. not sure why this changed all of a sudden.

> Replace your main vehicle battery if it's time (of both if you have two). Also change the batteries on your key fobs. Really easy to do.

3. My instrument cluster LCD has been acting strange for a while... image kinda shakes and some of the data normally present is not legible. ( this comes and goes ) and I notice it more during the day. Every thing is nice and bright in the evening/night

> You can see this discussed in the forums -- replacing your main battery may help. Or you need to replace the cluster LCD.

4. i have the crazy servo thing in my dash... sometimes it sounds like something is alive in there. Is there a way to fix that? I do have some extended warranty but not sure if it would be covered. in conjuntion, the driver and passenger have seperat temp controls on the ac but the "fan speed" seems to be linked together ( seems like when I bought the car each person had control of fan speed) any way to "un-link" them?

> Your manual has this all detailed -- how to go from driver control of all climate settings to passenger and driver having separate controls. The sound could be the AC servo motors. Search the forum to read all about it.

5 finally, need some direction on brake pads... is there a good resource for pads ( low dust ) that you can recommend?

> For sure search the forums -- lots of discussion around brake pads and dust reduction and efficacy, etc.

I'll stop there for now, thanks for any help!

John

Edited by odix

I posted this on 6speedonline.. worth mentioning here (I'll post it seperately in case Loren wants to sticky it):

Instrument Cluster Repairs

I happened to be in my independents shop this afternoon (BS'ing, the P!G is running fine..) and noticed a brochure - with a Cayenne cluster on the front cover (along with other instrument clusters..)

Brochure says they can fix Cayenne (and Tuareg) clusters..

http://www.bba-reman.com/catalogue/D...edProduct=1398

Dunno the cost - they apparently can do it on an exchange basis, so dunno how that works with the odometer.

Just a FWIW.. (no experience with them, I'm just passing on the info..) __________________

Edited by deilenberger

[/url]

I have replaced the main (under the seat ) battery. the one in the back tested fine when I was having battery problems earlier. The thump does happens when braking.

For the clunking noise you here it when coming to stops or going over bumps. Its pretty easy to determine by a visiual inspection on the control arms. I had to replace mine. I attached a great link from Rennlist Clunking Noise

A failing valve body in the transmission can also cause a clunking on down shifts. For the other issues you really need to have the vehicle on the Porsche tester, it sounds like it has lost its key programming or the fobs have failed. The A/C system needs to scanned for fault codes and the servo motors tested, the fan is common to both driver and passenger both the temp is controlled independently.

• 3 years later...

I posted this on 6speedonline.. worth mentioning here (I'll post it seperately in case Loren wants to sticky it):

Instrument Cluster Repairs

I happened to be in my independents shop this afternoon (BS'ing, the P!G is running fine..) and noticed a brochure - with a Cayenne cluster on the front cover (along with other instrument clusters..)

Brochure says they can fix Cayenne (and Tuareg) clusters..

http://www.bba-reman.com/catalogue/D...edProduct=1398

Dunno the cost - they apparently can do it on an exchange basis, so dunno how that works with the odometer.

Just a FWIW.. (no experience with them, I'm just passing on the info..) __________________

A few years late on my reply but;

I have had some work done by BBA for my former Saabs. Their work has been very good and I have not had anything fail after they rebuilt it. 

They also provide a lifetime warranty on all of their work. 

The exchange program works great, they send you out a rebuilt unit and when you do the replacement you send back your core.

They are located in the US (Mass) and in the UK as well.

No experience with any Porsche rebuilds yet but I would feel very confident in any of their work. 

Edited by Medicaribe