Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Brake pads front/rear DIY? 04CS

Could someone direct me to a DIY for changing the pads front/rear on a 04CS? I really can't bring myself to pay someone $1000 bucks for that (which is what my local dealer wants). I know it can't be that hard... I would also like to know materials/parts needed (sensors?) and what pads you all recommend. (oem or aftermarket)

thanks for the help!

Also... I just spoke with an "independent" repair guy and he said that you're supposed to REPLACE the rotors at the same time as the pads ???? I have never seen that mentioned in any of the brake threads on here. sounds a little fishy to me.

Edited by jplumlee

This site has a lot of info on Cayenne brake jobs: Start:

Could someone direct me to a DIY for changing the pads front/rear on a 04CS? I really can't bring myself to pay someone $1000 bucks for that (which is what my local dealer wants). I know it can't be that hard... I would also like to know materials/parts needed (sensors?) and what pads you all recommend. (oem or aftermarket)

thanks for the help!

Doing a pad change is easy.

If you need new rotors, the tools to remove the calipers may cost you a bit on the front end.

If you have all the tools, time, and experience to DIY it's worth every dime you'll save in labor and parts at the dealer.

$0.02

Go with Centric Pads. The brake job is GRAVY. Any race based car is easy to change brakes on . The easiest I have every seen was the Mid 90's RX7, you could

do it with no tools. This is a easy job. Get Centric pads. I had to take our Porsche pads off because this car was FILTHY after 1 day of driving. The centric pads

stop BETTER and have no dust. the change is worth it's weight in GOLD.

Personally, I don't believe changing the rotors every pad change is necessary (every other time). Here is a great link with pictures on how to change the pads on Rennlist My link

Changing the pads and rotors are easy...DIY and save the $$. I would suggest replacing the springs/clips and deffinately replace the brake sensors. I usually get my parts from the following: Pelican Parts, SunCoast Parts

Edited by working4it

Go with Centric Pads. The brake job is GRAVY. Any race based car is easy to change brakes on . The easiest I have every seen was the Mid 90's RX7, you could

do it with no tools. This is a easy job. Get Centric pads. I had to take our Porsche pads off because this car was FILTHY after 1 day of driving. The centric pads

" The brake job is GRAVY "

What does this mean?

Which Cayenne do you have? An S? I'm also looking into getting a different pad set, I washed the car, then two days later I accidentally brushed my leg against the wheel/tire and got a ton of brake dust on my pants, far more than what I'd have expected to see.

" The brake job is GRAVY "

What does this mean?

He means it's easy to do.

• 11 months later...

I just replaced the front brake pads on my 2004 Cayenne Turbo, and was looking for something with good feel, low noise, and more than anything - less brake dust than the OEM pads.

I ended up using Hawk LTS pads (light truck series, in the green package), Hawk p/n HB501Y.625. I found some pros and cons, but mostly pros.

PRO: The Hawk LTS pads throw WAY, way, way way way less brake dust than the OEM pads. My wheels were cleaned & detailed 3 weeks ago, and at the moment, the rear wheels (with OEM pads) have about 50% more dust on them than the front wheels. This is absolutely awesome. With the OEM front pads, I used to get brake dust on the SIDE of the vehicle, like, on the door panels, on the door handles even. No more. When it comes to dust, these are quite awesome.

PRO: The brake feel is less 'grabby' than the OEM pads. This is a good thing, as I thought the brakes were too abrupt with the OEM pads, an example where I thought the factory got the calibration wrong in this vehicle.

PRO: Cost was a lot cheaper than OEM, and pads are pricey on the Cayenne. (Surprisingly, the Cayenne rotors are cheaper than those for my 911, but the pads were a lot more...wtf?)

NEUTRAL: I can't speak to the high-speed, high-performance aspect of the pads because I drive this as a street car. Spirited driving in this big fat pig, to be sure, but I'm not sure how they'd compare to the OEM pads on the track. Because I don't plan on tracking my CTT, I guess I don't care.

CON: The molded plastic part of the sensor wires broke when I pushed them home into the notches in the pads. The portion that broke was the flange that basically holds the sensor in the pad left-to-right (relative to the vehicle), but once installed they stayed in place more or less. You may have to file or work the receiving pad to prevent this, and it was disappointing.

I have no noise from these pads, however I did replace the retainer pins, bolts, and springs that come with the factory hardware package that is recommended for every brake change. I also used the normal red grease between the pads' backsides and the caliper pistons. No noise is good noise...

Hope this helps,

Dan