Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Power driver seat

Hi, let me describe my problem.

After my wife took the car and ajdust the seat height, I can't lower the seat anymore :( . All the control work (forward/back/front tilt/backrest/lumbar support/memory 1-2) except the back, up or down button.

I can't lower the seat, it is at maximum height. I know there is power because when I push the button downward I hear the motor, but nothing move !

Any clue?

Thank you

Step one - check for an obstruction under the seat.

Thanks Loren for the fast reply :)

There is no obstruction under the seat, but I found what it look like a small plastic tube with a metal wire in it. One end of this ''tube'' is loose.

Probably a part of the problem ?

Step one - check for an obstruction under the seat.

Thanks Loren for the fast reply :)

There is no obstruction under the seat, but I found what it look like a small plastic tube with a metal wire in it. One end of this ''tube'' is loose.

Probably a part of the problem ?

Here is a pic !

post-71449-0-81327400-1316568510_thumb.j

That is the cable drive from the motor to the seat. It has come loose so you can here the motor working but the seat does not move. Happened to my buddy on his car. On power seats there are three or four motors, one for the fore and aft movement, one for the backrest movement and I think one each for the front and back of the seat bottom to raise and lower them. From each of these motors there is a plastic sheathed drive cable. The end of the cable are square and fit into the motor and the gear mechanisms on the seat. There can come loose and/or break. The part number is 996.521.609.00, list price $23.78. You have to take the seat out to get at these motors and cables. Sometimes you can fix the attachment by often you have to replace the drive cable.

• Upvote 2

Thank you all for your advice :cheers:

I will get a new cable and it's gone be a winter project to change that cable since the car will be garage for winter time.

One more thing on my ''TO DO'' list !!!

this is like an extension cable for a power screwdriver. can you get the cable in there and secure it until you can get a replacement? that roll of duct tape may come in handy after all. hope so....

• 5 months later...

Beside changing this cable for the power seat, I also got rid of these orange side markers :D

This is only a small change but the look is 100% improve !

post-71449-0-03386200-1332208627_thumb.j

post-71449-0-63651000-1332208652_thumb.j

post-71449-0-74634800-1332208667_thumb.j

Edited by 996-99

• 4 weeks later...

I just fixed this same problem with my passenger seat in my 2002 911 C4S. When trying to move the seat up/down I would hear the motor running but the seat wouldn't move. All other forward/backward, tilt, etc seat controls were working just fine. The fix was very easy using the information in this post. Dharn55 had the correct solution--the cable needed to be replaced. You will not be able to duct tape this; the cable needs to be replaced.

Few quick notes:

1. The seat needed to be unscrewed with a E12 socket but does NOT need to come out of the cabin. I just tilted the seat backward after it was unscrewed and used a box to prop it up so I could work underneath it. I had plenty of room to work and since the seat isn't being removed you don't need to worry about tripping any computer faults or power issues as you would if you were to unplug the seat and remove it.

2. I bought a set of external torx sockets at Sears for $9.37 (order online and have it shipped to the store for free, else the Craftsman available in the store if you just "walk in" is expensive: $39.99+tax) -- couldn't find these anywhere else including local auto stores and Home Depot. The two torx screws in the front of the seat have covers which are easily removed by using a screwdriver to lift the tabs and then slide the cover forward (toward the front of the car).

3. The part number listed by Dharn55 996.521.609.00 is correct. I paid $24.97 for it at the local Porsche dealership. Normally I order parts online but this part appears to be special order from Germany so it was actually the same price online.

4. I attached a picture that I found online which I found helpful to understand the controls of the seat. The person that took this picture has obviously taken the seat out of the vehicle (which, again, isn't necessary) but it's a useful picture to orient you to what you're trying to do. The front of the seat (the end closest to the front of the car) is on the floor in this picture. In my specific case, the cable running from the motor on the left was missing (previous owner must have known about this issue but didn't fix it). The right-end of the cable in the picture is attached to the seat gears with a metal clamp (this comes with the part) that you can see if you expand the picture. The left-end of the cable that screws into the motor does not have a metal clamp like this, but rather is held in place between the motor and the metal bracket it attaches to on the seat. The torx screws that hold this in place were much more difficult to get to, especially the one on the left of the motor in this picture....until I got the idea to use the torx bit and a wrench. This was necessary because you have to unscrew from a 90 degree angle because of the way the motor is positioned. You wont be able to unscrew it from the top down, as you normally would, because it is obstructed.

This cable that was replaced is simply a square drive-cable sheathed in white plastic. As soon as I replaced it the up/down functionality of the passenger seat now works again.

Most of the information you would need is already covered in this post but I hope these little extra details help anyone that needs to do this in the future. Thanks 996-99 and other contributors.

post-72654-0-32572900-1334612035_thumb.j

Edited by ferrugia

• 6 years later...

Great write up here guys. A couple additions...the torx bits for the cable are T25 sized, and I don't think the box is necessary to get to the cable after you unbolt the seat. Just tilt the back all the way forward and rest it on the back seat. Adding a picture of the seat tilted up in place to explain. 

IMG_20180908_163005-01.jpeg