Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Just a quick note to highlight a common problem with the standard eBay LED Tail Light for the 996, which various vendors sell and not a single vendor (that I could find) informs customers of this issue.

The side marker connection (rear fog lamp) in the tail light assy does not need to be hooked up. This is the small connection on the outside edge of the assy. The rear side markers (rear fog lights) will function normally without using this connection. Hooking up this connection will blow the 7.5A rear fog light fuse in fuse location A4.

I purchased my lights from voltexinc, because their price was cheaper than others selling what appears to be the exact same Taiwan manufactured light assy.

After researching a couple forums, some reported problems with the "hyper" flash turn signals. I can report that this no longer appears to be a problem requiring a resistor to remedy. All other aspects of the assy were plug and play.

HTH,

Brook

I've read, but can't verify, that the problem with the rear side-marker is that the plug is non-polarized, so it is easy to install it incorrectly and blow the fuse. If you look up auto lighting in Wikipedia, you'll see that rear side-markers are required by law. Are you saying that the rear side-markers will work even if they are not plugged in?

I read on Rennlist or 6SpeedOnline (not sure which) of someone who successfully hooked up the side markers after initially blowing the fuse.

I'm thinking of getting the same lights, but I'm confused on this issue even though I've read a lot about it.

• 4 months later...

I've read, but can't verify, that the problem with the rear side-marker is that the plug is non-polarized, so it is easy to install it incorrectly and blow the fuse. If you look up auto lighting in Wikipedia, you'll see that rear side-markers are required by law. Are you saying that the rear side-markers will work even if they are not plugged in?

I read on Rennlist or 6SpeedOnline (not sure which) of someone who successfully hooked up the side markers after initially blowing the fuse.

I'm thinking of getting the same lights, but I'm confused on this issue even though I've read a lot about it.

Sorry to just get back to this post, I did a fire and forget. Yes, all the rear lights on the LEDs work as they should. The LEDs (at least mine) are wired to bypass the rear fog light connection. It was just strange that they still provided the connection for the bulb. On the particular LEDs that I have, the bulb just wasn't needed.

I can verify that all the lights will work without plugging in the fog leads on the LEDs. The fuse will blow for sure. The only bulbs I used were the backup bulbs. The empty sockets (where the rest of the bulbs would go) plug into the LEDs. I don't ever use the rear fog so I didn't really mess with that portion. I will try to get some pics posted up tomorrow unless the OP beats me to it.

To continue, the female ends of the brake and running lights and reverse lights plug together with the silver male ends of the LEDs...I left one unplugged so you can see. The unused white female one shown is for the fog light. I dont use it so I just leave it empty.

• 2 years later...

This thread just saved me countless hours of troubleshooting... And I'd have never figured it out because I installed hid's in the fog lamps and was having issues at the same time. Just leave the skinny wire in the tails unplugged and everything works the way it should! Crazy.

One thing though, I have a strange whining sound in the stereo I just installed at the same time. I know, too many projects at once... But I heard that resistors on the LEDs will eliminate the problem. Where do I install it on the harness? Do I need one for each power lead on the taillight harness?

TIA!

• 3 weeks later...

I installed these earlier this year after reading every thread I could find on Rennlist and 6spo. It took a while for me to understand what was going on with the side markers and blown fuses. And you're right, it happens because the original bulbs are not polarized, but LEDs are.

The problem is that the "skinny wire" (the wire for the side markers) has a plug that can be connected either way. You have to look at the wires and make sure you connect red to red -- that is, you have to connect the red wire of the wiring harness to the red wire of the side marker plug. This ensures that the polarity is correct.

If you do this, it works OK -- at least, it did for me. If you connect it incorrectly, you'll blow the fuse.