Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Replacement Battery 997-1

The PSM light went on at start up and was out at the end of the driveway. You have to reset the clock. That's it. There are lifting straps on both the Moll and the Maxx. Put a foot down inside the the trunk to steady yourself while you lift and lean forward the old battery. Do the reverse on install. The Maxx has a plug for the right side vent. 10 minutes, "piece of cake".

John

A helpful $ tip...

If you live near an AdvanceAuto... sign up for their e-blasts. Pretty much once a week they send out an e-blast good for 20% off any item... batteries included :D

Then... if you register for an acct and buy it on-line for pick up in store, and it's over $100, you'll get an extra $50 to spend at a later date. Over Labor Day I picked up an Optima 34R for my 997 for ~ $148 after 20% discount. Two weeks ago I used another 20% coupon and my $50 credit to replace the battery in my wifes car w/ their AutoCraft Gold 3yr full replacement. All told, replaced batteries in 2 cars for ~ $178.

Good luck :)

Edited by Cassiebox

Resetting of the clock is the only thing I had to do. I have a fairly high tech charger, didn't bother hooking it up during the changeout.

You also have to reset the PSM (w/ a drive to the end of your driveway) and the auto-dip/one touch window open close (open window all the way, then press switch down again & hold for 2 seconds, close window all the way and press switch up again holding for 2 seconds). Maybe seat memory too if you have but that's pretty much it.

BTW, most off the shelf replacement batteries in the US, as I understand, are all made by Johnson Controls. They may have slightly different specs across brand names but for most part, they're the same - just wear different lipstick (labels). Aside from buying correct group size (so it meets min specs), your decision on what brand should primarily be geared towards warranty. In the past, when Optima offered 7year replacement, I had no problems paying their 30% premium. However, they've since cut back to 36mo yet increased the premium to 50% +. As such, I'll buy if I can get a comparable price to other 36month batteries, if not I'll pass. I do prefer their AGM format as opposed to flooded cell since my car is stored 5-6 months per year but it's not the be all end all. A well maintained battery can last a long time but it's getting tougher with all the vampire juice demands of today's intricate electronics. The OEM battery in my '99 986 lasted ~ 10 years to the day. The one in my 997 probably was good for at least another year (making it 6years old) but I was starting to see some weakness (required more frequent distilled water top-offs) and decided to change it preemptively.

• 3 weeks later...

Measure the battery with a ruler and go

to any parts store to get a same size battery.

Still costs some money.

Paul

Just make sure that the battery is vented like the original or use a gel cell type battery like a Optima or Braille.

Hello all;

I want to understand something here..

Is a 43 lb battery actually NEEDED for better handling ?

OEM battery weight is 48 lbs.

I have not read anywhere that so much weight is a requirement.

Most performance minded owners are trying to lose weight, not add more.

???

pls advise

My first 911 (1972 ) had two battry's, one in each front wing. The first short wheelbase 911 was even modified with lead weights well forward. These cars have come a long way but are still tail heavy with a fairly high "polar moment of iniertia", meaning the *** end can come around on you given the right set of circumstances!

• 6 months later...
  • Admin

Just got a new one from Advance Auto Parts, Fort Myers...same deal as Cassiebox (above); $175 less 15%, less $50 coupon - brought it into store and they installed it for free.

http://shop.advancea...S|GRPBATTAM2___

I would double check that the battery is vented and that the hooked up the vent on the battery to the vent in the car's compartment.

Resetting of the clock is the only thing I had to do. I have a fairly high tech charger, didn't bother hooking it up during the changeout.

You also have to reset the PSM (w/ a drive to the end of your driveway) and the auto-dip/one touch window open close (open window all the way, then press switch down again & hold for 2 seconds, close window all the way and press switch up again holding for 2 seconds). Maybe seat memory too if you have but that's pretty much it.

BTW, most off the shelf replacement batteries in the US, as I understand, are all made by Johnson Controls. They may have slightly different specs across brand names but for most part, they're the same - just wear different lipstick (labels). Aside from buying correct group size (so it meets min specs), your decision on what brand should primarily be geared towards warranty. In the past, when Optima offered 7year replacement, I had no problems paying their 30% premium. However, they've since cut back to 36mo yet increased the premium to 50% +. As such, I'll buy if I can get a comparable price to other 36month batteries, if not I'll pass. I do prefer their AGM format as opposed to flooded cell since my car is stored 5-6 months per year but it's not the be all end all. A well maintained battery can last a long time but it's getting tougher with all the vampire juice demands of today's intricate electronics. The OEM battery in my '99 986 lasted ~ 10 years to the day. The one in my 997 probably was good for at least another year (making it 6years old) but I was starting to see some weakness (required more frequent distilled water top-offs) and decided to change it preemptively.

Any more ideas on how to reset the one touch/auto up function? Just changed my battery for the first time and my passenger side one touch auto up no longer works. Driver side is fine - did not have toeven reset that one. Have tried the reset procedure with the driver side button and the passenger side button with no avail. Other than that, both switches seem to work fine..

• Admin

Any more ideas on how to reset the one touch/auto up function? Just changed my battery for the first time and my passenger side one touch auto up no longer works. Driver side is fine - did not have toeven reset that one. Have tried the reset procedure with the driver side button and the passenger side button with no avail. Other than that, both switches seem to work fine..

From the 2006 Carrera Owners Manual page 29 (available here if you do not have one)...

"Storing end position of the windows If the battery is disconnected and reconnected, the windows will not be raised automatically when the door is closed.

1. Close the windows with the rocker switch once.

2. Press the rocker switch upwards again to store the end position of the windows in the control unit."

• Admin

PS Get whatever 94R battery you want but the Maxx got the highest rating from Consumers Report!

Maxx ? Sounds good ,but who makes the "MAXX" and who sells it , cost etc ? Thanks

Maxx is sold at Walmart.

Pricing will vary but generally under $100.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...