Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Had the 04S for about 6 months. I like the power and brakes but is this car a lemon or what?

I've fixed the fuel leak, replaced rear brakes, new battery,

Now all there is left to do is fix.....

Squeaking steering. Need to replace steering rack?

Rear Hatch doesn't stay up. Previous owner had struts replaced under warranty. 4 years ago.

Odometer reset doesn't reset.

Instrument cluster sometimes works sometimes doesn't.

Car has wet odor when it rains. I suspect a drain hold is plugged. Somewhere.

Rear wiper doesn't get wiper fluid. Hear the pump but no juice.

Stereo works, then doesn't work.

Clunking noise when stopping.

Rear window sometimes opens.

Lots of broken plastic bits. Sunglass holder just fell down one night. Pieces everywhere.

Only 70,000 mls on this beauty.

To sell or not is a personal decision. Sadly there is no proper answer... Run your business case: what you paid, repair costs to date and projected if you keep, what you think you can sell for, vehicle replacement cost, etc.

Given the overall negative feel from your post, psychologically it appears you're fed up. If so, then the answer is straight forward: sell.

• 4 weeks later...

+2.....unfortunately owning these cars is sometimes difficult....but hopefully you had done the research to know what you were getting into.

when i bought my CTT, i knew the coolant pipes were original (plastic).....sure enough, the week i got the car registered, the main pipe let loose.

i do all my own work, so it wasn't an issue, and 500 bucks later in parts, i was back on the road......but i have quirky electrical things every once in a while....and while we paid for a porsche....cheap plastic things still bound to break.

if you got a deal on the car, try reselling it for a bit more to cover your issues.....if you bought it at a dealer or something, i'm afraid you will never see a payback trying to resell it.

• 4 months later...
Squeaking steering. Need to replace steering rack?

Had some time today so i jacked up the front of the cayenne and took off the plastic bottom trays.

Found a tin shield surrounding the universal joint of the rack that is supposed to have 2 bolts and 1 screw holding it in place. One of the bolts was missing. I replaced that and bent the shield back and no more noise. Bliss. 2 shops told me that my steering rack was bad. 2 shops that aren't going to get my business anymore...

2 weeks ago i did the drive shaft. Not a bad job. But two people would be handy cause of the heavy exhaust.

Rear Hatch doesn't stay up. Previous owner had struts replaced under warranty. 4 years ago.

Thank you sunset porsche. My rear hatch now stays up. My wife got tired of the "can't keep it up" jokes.

Replaced the passenger air filter and while i was in there spend some time cleaning out some drains. No more smell. The filter was a brick.

Rear wiper doesn't get wiper fluid. Hear the pump but no juice.

Not sure why i saw what i did....The nozzle was caked full of what looked like calcium. Anyway i cleaned that out and works as good as new.

Rear window sometimes opens.

Replaced switch with newest model. Thank you sunset again. Put a bit of crazy glue on the cap so the car wash doesn't eat it up next time.

Lots of broken plastic bits. Sunglass holder just fell down one night. Pieces everywhere.

Put it all back together, crap plastic. My overhead light still doesn't work but i will order the parts soon and do that. Front brakes are looking a bit thin, Overall i am liking the car more and more as i get the things that shouldn't have broken fixed.

Edited by seafeye

Fixing the little things that aren't quite right or broken is very rewarding. I bought an x lease X5 in a similar state for my wife and $2,000ish of parts, 20 hrs of cleaning and grooming and fitting the new bits and its basically perfect (except for the aging stereo, and will need new from tires in 6 mths). SO not quite yet finished but saved about $10k over a perfect one at purchase, and are still ahead on the books. What is it with interior plastic bits falling to bits?

P.S. Sold my Cayenne S at christmas as the warranty was going to run out about now.

Replaced the passenger air filter and while i was in there spend some time cleaning out some drains. No more smell. The filter was a brick.

I had water getting in during heavy rains. Turned out to be the sunroof drain line as it runs through the headliner. Found a thread on here from someone else who had this problem and had fixed it. The drain wasnt clogged, it was leaking at the ball fitting inside the headliner near the C pillar. Lowered headliner, removed some trim pioeces and got it siliconed up, now she's dry, no soaked carpets or flooded spare tire compartment when it rains. Something to think about if any water/mold issues come up.

What you describe is a car that was never returned for just about every beta fault you can name. The previous owner should be shot IMHO. Now its to expensive to fix out of warranty, = ditch it and buy another now you know what to look for

• 1 month later...

What you describe is a car that was never returned for just about every beta fault you can name. The previous owner should be shot IMHO. Now its to expensive to fix out of warranty, = ditch it and buy another now you know what to look for

This is correct. The same thing happened to me with my 2005 CS - didn't seem like anyone took it to the shop! One half of the horn didn't work; dome light didn't work; coolant pipes soon after I bought it; ignition coils were effed - good thing I still had a warranty.

Being on the lookout for things that are known to fail is a great way to not get frustrated with these cars. If you expect it, IMO it's only half as bad as if it's dropped in my lap. But nobody likes thousands of $$$ in repair.