Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

need to replace axel boots?

My outer boots are split all around on the outboard and one was squeaking allitle i put some grease in there fine for now. I saw these axels online for $125 each complete with bolts and axel nut but would those be a good option for me rather than trying to replace boots on my original axel Ihave 53k on my boxster s 2000. The brand is opparts. Thanks Peter

• Moderators

Just watch out for cheap aftermarket "knock off" axles coming in from over seas. While some are pretty good, many are vastly inferior to the OEM units, not just in the steel, but the CV joints and boots as well. As replacement OEM unit are rather pricey, you can rebuild your current units for low bucks, and you end up with solid quality at a very reasonable price. Another option is to find a local axle rebuilder that will overhaul your units; not a cheap as doing them yourself, but still better than replacing them.

(looks like im haveing trouble posting.)

If im just replacing the boots am i sliding them on from the transmission side or removing the axels for the easiest diy. Im getting two ways from the internet. Seems very invoved either way.

Yeah, it's involved. With the right tools took me about 5 hours to remove and replace both shafts, not including repacking or replacing boots. With the axle off, there is a cover and a c clip to remove and the inner joine slides off, then you can do the outer boot. Sunset told me about a "kit" using Porsche parts to repack all four joints, replace all four boots, and new clamps all around, about $130 if I remember right. I have my old axles bagged, waiting for me to get around to rebuilding them when I have notheing better to do.

I've read it's important to drain the diff before pulling the left side axle if your car is a Tiptronic. Otherwise the Tip can be contaminated by the diff lube. Don't know if this applies to you or not. I think the service manual talks about the issue.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

You simply do the best you can do.....remove as much of the old grease as possible and repack. No, you will not be able to do as good a job as on the inner joint but getting the new grease in and a new boot should still do the trick. I the repack and new boots on both axles last fall. The job is messy but not really difficult. I got boots at Autohaus az for about $10 each.

• 2 weeks later...

I did the job myself. Not too difficult, but takes time. Once you get one side done, the other goes much quicker. Researched two ways, I'd advise not to go the exhaust removal route unless you plan to remove and reinstall entire system. I believe I ordered the kits from Pelican and they also have a good tech write-up. Good luck!

How do you clean the outside joint if it doesnt come apart anyone can you mix old grease with new?

Oh, and....wear latex gloves and have lots of paper towels and rags around. Just by moving it, there will be grease everywhere. Repacking is also easy!