Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Golf ball-sized dent, paintless repair advice

Just returned to my car in the supermarket parking lot, to find someone let a shopping cart go in the wind and it's dented my car. Smaller than average cart, with plastic edges so it just made a dent without any scratches. Looks simple to repair, golf ball-sized and **** near a perfect circle, just behind the driver's door. Anyone got any advice on whether a dentless repair shop could just 'pop' this out? Looking for some input before I start visiting the vultures, as I previously heard aluminum is harder to work with.

Forget the dry ice. Been there, done that. It does not really work. But a good dentless repair tech can work miracles. I have been amazed at what they can do. If there is a crease in the metal or it is at the edge or seam of a panel it may be a problem. Otherwise they do work wonders.

+2 on Dentless repair

I had a tree branch fall on the area between the rear deck lid and the convertable top cover leaving a large shallow dent. I pulled the CHMSL to give him access and left it at AutoHaus in Chatham, they had three cars there for the PDR guy, you can get a better deal if the call out charge is split between more cars. I can't even tell where it was now, cost was $65.

Since your alternative is filler/sand/prime/paint I see no reason not to try the paintless path--unless you chosse to leave it as is. Keep in mind that dents stretch the metal and really can't be simply "popped out". Given the location of your dent they will likely need to drill an access hole in the door jam.

Forget the dry ice. Been there, done that. It does not really work. But a good dentless repair tech can work miracles. I have been amazed at what they can do. If there is a crease in the metal or it is at the edge or seam of a panel it may be a problem. Otherwise they do work wonders.

Dang, Dharn I knew it looked to good (& easy) to be true. Several years ago I did have the dentless repair on one of my cars (gone now) but they definitely did an awesome job! jmo

Just returned to my car in the supermarket parking lot, to find someone let a shopping cart go in the wind and it's dented my car. Smaller than average cart, with plastic edges so it just made a dent without any scratches. Looks simple to repair, golf ball-sized and **** near a perfect circle, just behind the driver's door. Anyone got any advice on whether a dentless repair shop could just 'pop' this out? Looking for some input before I start visiting the vultures, as I previously heard aluminum is harder to work with.

aluminum?

Thank you, one and all - dentless repair here I come!

Alfie, I forgot to mention earlier when I had mine done it was from hail damage. Not sure what color your vehicle is, I would think that would make a difference though (mine was a white BMW) so it probably didn't show as much as a black or dark color car would. Also, if you're expecting it to look brand new, well you probably need to just take it to the body shop. good luck! jmo