Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

duramteric oxygen sensor codes...

Hi everyone, just looking for some input on this.

MY 2003 cayenne S - 160,000km

p 0155 o2 sensor heater curcuit bank 2 sensor 1 = Oxygen Sensor Ahead of Catalytic Converter, Bank 2 - Signal Implausible

p 0021 camshaft position - timing over - advances or sytem performace bank 2 = Adjustment of Inlet Camshaft in relation to Crankshaft, Bank 2 - Signal Implausible

p0050 h02s heater control curcuit bank 2 sensor 1 = Oxygen Sensor Heating Output Stage Ahead of TWC, Bank 2 - Open Circuit

I just wanted to clarify a few things:

bank 2 is drivers side (left hand drive car) correct?

p0050 and p0155 are indicating the same 02 sensor ?

is the camshaft error related to the o2 sensor errors?

I already replaced the o2 sensor on the passenger side - infront of the cat - as had a different code last year.

thanks

brent

• Admin

post-1-0-92932800-1330791868_thumb.png

1 - DME control module

2 - Secondary air injection pump, bank 1

3 - Secondary air valve - mechanical, bank 1

4 - Oxygen sensor in front of catalytic converter, bank 1

5 - Pre-catalytic converter, bank 1

6 - Oxygen sensor after catalytic converter, bank 1

7 - Main catalytic converter, bank 1

8 - Secondary air injection pump, bank 2

9 - Secondary air valve - mechanical, bank 2

10 - E-box in radiator tank with fuse and relay carrier

11 - Main catalytic converter, bank 2

12 - Oxygen sensor after catalytic converter, bank 2

13 - Pre-catalytic converter, bank 2

14 - Oxygen sensor ahead of catalytic converter, bank 2

Thanks as always Loren!

from the looks of the schematic, the culprit is sensor # 14, which I am assuming is throwing the 0155 and 0050 code.

I think I already replaced # 12 and 6. Will have to get it up on a hoist to confirm - can tell which one by how far I can reach!!

any input on the cam shaft code?

thanks brent

• 10 months later...

Hi all - I am resurecting this post as it still plagues me:

I have replaced the o2 sensor in front of cat- bank 2, as well as the MAS, and I still get the same codes:

p0153-o2 sensor circuit slow response - bank 2

p0155-o2 sensor heater circuit bank2 sensor 1

yup - its driving me crazy

brent

I had problem with O2 sensor at bank 2 after the cat. I used some fuel system cleaner additive then the problem was gone for a while. but it came back to me after about 6 month. so I changed the O2 sensor and everything was okay.

But on my trip to Boston last Christmas I had some 93 gas with 10% Ethanol then the code came back again!

after I returned to Toronto everything was fine, crazy. however I noticed that the 91 and 94 we have here do not contain ANY ethanol.

also I recalled that the first time I had the code jumping back and forth was on my trip to NYC and Chicago and all 93 gas has ethanol there.

i am not sure this would help but that was my experience anyways.

regarding the P0021 bank 2 code, it could be a big job

mine was P0016 which was same problem on bank 1

plug in your durametric and check the camshaft deviation angles. they should be around 0 at idle and the limits are +/- 6 degrees(it is measured at crankshaft angle so the actual camshaft angle is half of that). if it is out of the range, it would throw out a code. and the car could have rough idle. mine was +13 at bank 1 and -5 at bank 2

swapping the camshaft sensors of bank 1 and 2 did not change the readings. i also replaced the timing chain tensioner.

so long story short I opened up the front end, calibrated the timing(you gonna need a special tool for that), changed the timing chain and all the chain guides(one of them was actually cracked in the middle), all o-rings, and gaskets that I could see. also water pump, pulley, thermostat, and starter, some broken hoses/vent lines. parts was about $2k-3k. and we spent about 25-30 hrs total.

after that everything was okay.

I have a more detailed write up for that on 6speed forum under the name of zzzx990.

hope you do not have to do the same. good luck

Roy

Edited by royxaxa

royx where can I get that special tool to do that timing calibration? I have the same code coming up p0016 and I have to open up the front to replace the chains and tensioners. sorry to change the subject.

you can get the calibration tool from dealer.i think it is like $100 or so. it is basically 2 pieces of steel. when you calibrate the camshaft, you insert the steel pieces to the slots at end of the camshafts to lock them in place. this way you can tight the bolts for the camshaft wheels. remember rotate the crankshaft couple of turns to check the angle of the slots with a mirror. we did calibrate 3 times before getting a satisfying result.

I would exhaust all other options before changing the chain. it is a big job. no parts are particularly expensive but there are so many of them. it all adds up.

check the deviation angles of 2 camshafts with Durametrix and read the factory service manual. next i would probably change the chain tensioner.

also if you just want to calibrate the timing, you do not need to remove the chain and the chain cover at front. only the valve covers are good enough. only challenge is probably the access to crankshaft.

I did notice that the new chain was about 1/4 shorter than the old one. but i do not think that will result a P0016 code. the play of chain tensioner should be able to compensate that.

good luck

Roy

Edited by royxaxa

• 5 years later...

Sorry to break in from 2018, but Google landed me here when I put in "P0155, P0050, then P2254 and P2247".

My question for bwestfall or anyone else who knows:  When I examined the Bank 2 upstream O2 sensor on my '04 Cayenne S  (164,000 km) I tried a 22 mm wrench on it to see if I could budge it.  It turned very easily.  It had tightness comparable to that of the oil filter cannister, about 17 ft pounds.  I realize it's supposed to be at about 35 ft. pounds.  I further noticed a number of twists on the cable next to the sensor.  

The codes led me to look for an air leak, among other possible causes in common.  Would a lightly-tightened sensor be the potential cause of my troubles (etest in two months) or is this a faint, final hope before buying the expensive O2 sensor?

• Like 1