Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Wheel/Tire mystery

I need new rear tires on my 2000 C2. I have what's listed on the original sticker as "18" Lt Alloy Wheel - Turbo Look". These are the wheels shown in the attached photo.

The front wheels are 7.5J x 18, RO 50 with Continental SportContact2 N2 225 / 40 ZR 18 Tires

The rears are 9J x 18, RO 52 Continental SportContact2 N2 265 / 35 ZR 18 Tires

The fronts are fine, but from what I've read, the rears are for a Boxster, not a 911, though the tires are the proper size for a 911.

I bought the car from the original owner (a friend of the family) who is a very wealthy, spare-no-expense, let the dealer do everything, type of person. I don't believe there is any possibility that this person would have gone for a cheaper alternative with something like wheels.

So there are a few possibilities that come to mind.

1. Could it be that in 2000, 9J x18 x 50 rears were approved for 911? The TSB that I've read is dated June, 2011.

2. The dealer could have used a boxster wheel unintentionally or otherwise.

3. The car came from the factory that way (by mistake).

Now the question is "What do I do"?

I have a set of winter wheels/tires on the car at the present time (8J x 18, RO50 and 11J x 18, RO63)

1. Get new rear tires and have them mounted on the 9J x 18 x 50 original wheels. (which I assume have been on the car for 12 years)

2. Get four new tires and use my winter wheel set.

3. Look for a set of replacement rear wheels in 10J x 18 x 65.

I'm looking for the cheapest safe solution.

post-59958-0-25133100-1332180769_thumb.j

Edited by wyovino

• Admin

I don't recall Porsche ever offering 9 x 18 rear wheels for the 996. 9 x 17 and 8.5 x 17 rear winter wheels - yes but no 9 x 18.

I had a similar issue on my car when I bought it. I opted to trade them in for 8 x 18 fronts and 10 x 18 rears. Wheel Enhancement gave me a good trade-in price as the wheels were in very good shape.

I suspect that a dealer had swapped wheels with someone that really liked the ones on my future car.

Ok, thanks, but more questions. Sorry, but I'm not very familiar with tires/wheels. I think tires and wheels used to be a lot less complicated when I was a teenager (don't ask).

My winter wheels have the same size tires as my summer wheels (225/40 18) even though the wheels are different widths (8 vs 7.5 ).

I'm thinking of transferring my good front tires from my summer wheels to my winter wheels. Then I could just buy two new (summer) tires for my rear winter wheels, and sort the summer wheel issues out at a later date.

Does this sound like a good plan?

• Admin

Ok, thanks, but more questions. Sorry, but I'm not very familiar with tires/wheels. I think tires and wheels used to be a lot less complicated when I was a teenager (don't ask).

My winter wheels have the same size tires as my summer wheels (225/40 18) even though the wheels are different widths (8 vs 7.5 ).

I'm thinking of transferring my good front tires from my summer wheels to my winter wheels. Then I could just buy two new (summer) tires for my rear winter wheels, and sort the summer wheel issues out at a later date.

Does this sound like a good plan?

Yes - good plan. Usually you want the wider wheels (and tires) for summer tires - most contact patch possible for best handling.

In the winter you want a smaller wheel and tire so that snow does not build up in the fender wells or in case you need to add chains.

Your original setup sounds like Boxster wheels 7.5" and 9". Also I have never seen "Turbo" look wheels that look like the pic in post #1. The wheels in post #5 look like "Turbo" look wheels.

On the "winter wheels" I would mount a 285/35-18 summer tire on the 11" wide rim. That is the size Porsche recommended when using 10" wide x 18" for my 2003 C2.

I think a 265 is recommended for rims 9" to 10.5" Check the continental specs on tire rack

http://www.tirerack....3&autoModel=911 Carrera Cabriolet&autoModClar=&tab=Specs

Edited by fpb111

Yes, it seems that 265's are recommended for winter tires, but 285's for summer tires on 11J RO 63 wheels.

I looked at the MY2000 brochure and you are correct. The "Turbo-look" wheels are somewhat similar to my winter wheels. My summer wheels are shown in the brochure as "Sport Design" wheels and are pictured on the GT3. I wonder if the dealer did this to "sweeten" the deal, only he used Boxster wheels instead.

I'm going to change the order to 285's. I did some searching and it seems that they shouldn't be a problem.

Update: The tire store says he can't get a 285 in the brand/type tire I need. Since I need to match the fronts, I'm going with the 265's.

Edited by wyovino

The fronts are only about 4 years old, so I'm good to go until the rears need replacing again. I'll use the hollow spoke wheels for now. When I get around to it, I'll have the Sport Design wheels refinished and either sell them or mount my snow tires on them.

When I got the car back from the tire shop, I loosened and re-torqued all bolts and checked the pressure all around. Standard, or obsessive?

Edited by wyovino

On the "winter wheels" I would mount a 285/35-18 summer tire on the 11" wide rim. That is the size Porsche recommended when using 10" wide x 18" for my 2003 C2.

Are you sure about the 35 profile? Most of the 285s that I have seen are 30 profile. That's what I run on my 996.

Edited by fbgh2o

Are you sure about the 35 profile? Most of the 285s that I have seen are 30 profile. That's what I run on my 996.

285/30 is in my manual also. 35 was brain failure.

Keep me honest Fergus :notworthy:

Your wheels are the sport design. It looks like some how you got a boxster set. As far as the 265 size for the rear that will be a real stretch as you have a 11" rear. I think 265 is small on a 10" wheel. I would check to see if the tire you need comes in a 275/35 or if it come in a 295/30 it might be a slight bit taller, but it would fill out the rim better IMO. Your other choice is to get 4 new tires for the turbo wheels or trade in the rear sport design wheels for the 10".