Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Advice needed on major maintenance for a low mileage car

2001 996 C2 Tiptronic

41K miles

I've owned the car since 2003, 16K miles. I guess I should really drive more!

Of regular maintenance, I've changed the engine oil annually and the air filter when I see it's dirty.

I'm not tracking the car - just driving to work and pleasure driving. Suburbia - not city.

Car runs very smoothly so I'm not trying to fix anything.

I'm not a big fan of doing unnecessary maintenance, but as the vehicle is now mine for 10 years I figure I ought to think through if there are any items that ought to be done based on time, not mileage. I've reviewed the posted maintenance intervals.

Here's my opinion, but I'd like yours!

Engine oil & air filter - recently done.

Spark plugs - still on the originals. Factory recommends 60K miles or 4 years. Thinking I ought to change these.

Fuel filter - factory interval is 48K miles. Getting close enough that I ought to do this one too.

Coolant - looks clear and has been topped off. factory says lifetime. I'm inclined not to touch it.

Serpentine belt - still firm and not showing any wear. Factory rec is 60K miles. Not surewhether to do it now..

Auto transmission fluid - factory rec is 90K miles. Not sure whether to do it now.

Differential oil - can't find factory rec. Should I do it?

Power steering fluid - can't find factory rec. Should I do it?

Any other fluid or filter I've missed? (oh yeah, the pollen filter is fresh and the brakes / fluid is fine)

Thanks Loren, that link was part of my link before I made the posting.

Strictly going by the factory recommendations, I know I should do the plugs and might as well do the fuel filter while the car is on the rack.

All the other items would be somewhere between "future" and "never" per the factory, yet I know many people do them earlier (and of course the shops in the area give that behavior a standing ovation!).

I believe in preventative maintenance but not to the point of being wasteful. What am I gaining or risking by doing those other items earlier than the factory recommendation?

Thanks!

• Admin

Well, it is hard to say as it would depend on your driving habits and your personal sense need.

I do not like to be stranded by the road - so I change things like the battery, polyrib belt, etc a little early or at signs of wear.

Of course you can check the belt pulleys for wobble (with the belt off), and listen and look at the water pump for noises and leaks. I would check those kinds of things once a year or more if you put lots of miles on the car. Of course it doesn't hurt to visually check things over for "normal" on a weekly basis. By doing so you are more apt to see something out of the norm and catch it early. Just my 2 cents...

More cents to throw in.

10 year old fluids should be replaced.

Coolant (use only Porsche or compatible coolant, Porsche says lifetime, but other "lifetime" coolants say lifetime means 5 years.)

Brake (should be done every couple years)

Transmission

Power steering

Diff

Also:

Serpentine belt.

Water pump (buy a Porsche pump)

Aside from that these are optional:

AOS

IMSB

What's AOS and IMSB? Not familiar w/ those terms.

Also... hadn't thought about the water pump. Is the thought, "while you're replacing the belt you might as well do the water pump because it's only a small extra amount of parts/labor?" Or is it a unit that you can count on eventually failing?

• Moderators

AOS= Air Oil Separator IMSB= Intermediate Shaft Bearing

Porsche uses water pumps with impellers made of a synthetic material that starts to bread up over extended periods of time. Aftermarket pumps with metal impellers tend to be shorter lived and tear up the block with the impeller gets loose with wear. Stay with the OEM pump, change it and the coolant at least every 4-5 years. At the same time, change your thermostat to a 160F unit.

Edited by JFP in PA