Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Brake Fluid Reservoir Question

I have a '02 C2 996.

I think the dealer over filled my brake fluid last time it was bled. At the DE, I had an issue with it coming out of the reservoir a little bit.

Sure enough, when the car was cool and I checked, it was past the "max" marker in the reservoir.

I just bought a baster to remove the excess fluid.

I removed the cap and the filter, and below that is this.... (see pic)

d.jpg

How do I get past this to get at the fluid? I was able to drain the fluid that comes in above this thing, but I can't get past it.

It looks like a flux capaciter! :) What is it really?

The way it's setup is there is this 3-armed dealy underneath and the reservoir itself is kind of holding it in place. You can see that the 3-armed thing sits underneath the plastic. That plastic is part of the reservoir, so I cannot see how it can be removed.

Without removing any of this stuff I was able to get the fluid down below the "Max" mark on the reservoir, but I'd like to get it a little farther lower.

Oh, didn't know you removed the first filter. What I found that works best, is a 60cc syringe with a 14 gauge needle. (dull the needle) It can get through to all sides without any mess and doesn't bend like tubes do, if necessary during a flush you can get every last drop out of there. If you don't have any medical friends let me know, or try a feed and grain store.

• Moderators

That is the float for the level sensor. Remove the black plastic cover around the reservoir and you will see an electrical connector.

If you are using a 'bug' Motive type pressure bleeder I open the RR screw when the pressure is on but the Motive tank is empty. This will empty the reservoir like you are trying to do. Stop when the brake fluid level is just below the sensor. No Motive - get your wife to pump the pedal while you watch the level and turn the bleed screw on and off. Jeff

If you are using a 'bug' Motive type pressure bleeder I open the RR screw when the pressure is on but the Motive tank is empty.  This will empty the reservoir like you are trying to do. Jeff

Jeff,

I have a Motive bleeder. What is the RR screw?

TIA,

Karl

I think Jeff means open the right rear bleed screw...

Thanks, now I get it, I thought there was some piece I was missing on my Motive PB. When I am doing a fluid replacement (as opposed to a bleed), I use the left front (closest) bleed screw to drain the reservoir down before refilling it (and the Motive) with new fluid. Not only does it drain a little quicker but you can eyeball the reservoir while you're draining. You can't see the reservoir from the right rear.

After I fill with the new fluid, I do the normal flush process starting with the right rear first.

Karl