Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Here we go again

Good morning all,

Not long ago I reached out to you all for some advice. It started with p0140, I was told the secondary air intake system wasn't happy, fine. So over the winter I rebuilt the system. Cutoff valve, lines, Ect. But not the cats which is what I suspected from the start. So I finally cobble this all back together, fire it up, drive about 50 miles and the cel is back...that being said the car definately has renewed pep and does idle smoothly so I do not regret the secondary rebuild but I want that cel to go away...Help! I need options, can I just eliminate the issue somehow? Do I have to have those cats? I hate to just replace more parts with no clear explanation as to why. 2001 986 111000 K...

• Admin

P0140 Oxygen Sensor After TWC, Bank 1 – Open Circuit

Possible causes:

– Wiring harness

– Oxygen sensor

– DME control module

You have an open circuit in signal wire or ground wire of oxygen sensor or your oxygen sensor heating not functioning.

Try putting you old sensor (s) back on?

It could be you replcaed the sensors mistakenly, and perhaps the new ones aren't the right type (per Lorens recommendation) and/or when you connected them there was a problem with the wiring connection.

O2 sensors are pretty robust...

• Moderators

As the individual you appear to feel “lambasted” you previously, I have to also agree with Loren on the diagnostics for this code; you do not have a bad cat, you have a small wiring harness or connector issue with the sensor behind the three way on bank 1 (cylinders 1-3).

Perhaps if you price out a replacement three way cat, you would see the potential advantage of looking at the sensor wiring……………

As for us operators of the havens out here for “spoiled rich boys”, just remember that we at least know what we are doing.

Edited by JFP in PA

Jfp, no offense meant or intended on the lambasted crack, I do defer to those more experienced. Problem being is that I've gone the wiring harness route and have ohm'ed out the leads. So-square one I guess, when in doubt, follow the power.

mstimely if you're going to come on a forum and ask for help then please be respectful of all offers. Recommending you go to a qualified technician to diagnose a problem, you appear to be shooting in the dark at, is a bonafide recommendation and was meant as a courtesy to save you time, money and frustration. I'm neither spoiled nor rich but I do realize when it is time to let someone, who knows what they're doing, take over and don't let it get in the way of my enthusiasts ego. A lack of tools and a garage are also contributing factors. You in the end will do what you please but with your attitude you will run out of contributors one day.