Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Seeking Advice on the Rollbar Cover Area

Hi,

I've been steadily fixing up my '01 996 cabriolet and one area in neglect is the area that sits behind the rear seat and covers the roll bars, etc. Take a look at the photos please. The keen observer will notice a few things:

a- some of this panel has lifted up

b- the color on the convertible top is different from the fabric area behind the seats

c- the fabric is rippling (not affixed in some areas)

d- one of the hardtop caps is missing

I am trying to decided what to do to make this look nicer. I was thinking of two options:

1- replacing it with a replacement part. Not sure how much this costs but I am sure it is expensive!

2- removing the three pieces and brining it to a upholstery store to have them pull off the fabric and put on new fabric that matches the top color

This brings me to my questions:

What have others done here?

How do those three separate panels lift off (i.e., what holds them down)?

Any advice?

THANKS!

post-80164-0-59730300-1339802565_thumb.j

post-80164-0-72432400-1339802572_thumb.j

post-80164-0-29409700-1339802579_thumb.j

Alot of cab owners face this same situation. Do you or anyone else know what the oval cap -- over the pop up roll bar part number is???? A shop worked on mine and broke the piece and just put in back with out securing the tabs. It blew off on way home. Never go to Ken Baker Originals -- BMW - Porsche independent shop in Myrtle Beach.

Good luck and let us know what you do.

• Admin

Does anyone have the part number for the thin plastic covers that are over the roll bars that pop up????

Thanks,

Chuck

Model and year of your car and color of covers.

You are talking about the retracted covers? not the plastic cap that fits on the roll bars?

Loren --- the car is a 1999 Cab. the part is 10" x 3" that snaps into hole where rollbar pops up. They are designed to break when rollbars pop up. The piece is black and my cloth is black.

Thanks,

Chuck

The cover looks like the original color of the top and the top looks like a lighter blue. IMHO

I agree, seems top was replaced by eBay special.

Option D, Circle cap PN: 99655545700

Last three would be color. If black I think it is A03.

Though your pics look blue IMO. (G10 if Metropole blue)

Edited by 987_RDC

• 2 weeks later...

BTW fixed a similar "rise" in my rear seat area recently. Drop the back seats and remove the two phillips screws. I bet the tab on the rear cover under the carpet area has broken off. That causes the rear piece to flex up. I removed all the screws from the piece and took it out. Used e6000 glue and glued a washer to the broken plastic (and remaining piece I found). Allowed the back to be bolted in nice and flush.

BTW fixed a similar "rise" in my rear seat area recently. Drop the back seats and remove the two phillips screws. I bet the tab on the rear cover under the carpet area has broken off. That causes the rear piece to flex up. I removed all the screws from the piece and took it out. Used e6000 glue and glued a washer to the broken plastic (and remaining piece I found). Allowed the back to be bolted in nice and flush.

This is GREAT info!!! Thank you! Were all the screws holding the piece in place accessible through the back seat area? How many screws hold it in place?

I think you are right that the tab is broken; will follow your repair suggestions but first I'd like to take it out and have new material put on it.

I could not find the plastic pieces that go over the roll bars --- they break very easy. I broke mine working on the top -- just put my hand on it and broke into numerous pieces.

I took my Cab. to a top shop and had the entire piece covered in black material. Cost $58.36. Looks great and matches the side flaps.

Chuck

• Upvote 1

I could not find the plastic pieces that go over the roll bars --- they break very easy. I broke mine working on the top -- just put my hand on it and broke into numerous pieces.

I took my Cab. to a top shop and had the entire piece covered in black material. Cost $58.36. Looks great and matches the side flaps.

Chuck

So you covered the roll bar pieces with black cloth? Do you have a photo?

I think you are right that the tab is broken; will follow your repair suggestions but first I'd like to take it out and have new material put on it.

I had my top in service position and already had the back carpet out, thus I was able to get to all the screws in the back area also. You might need to pop the tension straps and remove rear carpet to get to the back parts. I highly recommend E6000 glue and metal washer to re-create the bolt hole to hold the top properly.

• Upvote 1

I had my top in service position and already had the back carpet out, thus I was able to get to all the screws in the back area also. You might need to pop the tension straps and remove rear carpet to get to the back parts. I highly recommend E6000 glue and metal washer to re-create the bolt hole to hold the top properly.

Thanks. Does anyone have an exploded diagram of how of to get this part out?