Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2nd Engine Failure in my 2000 S

Hi:

I haven't posted here since 1998!!! Yikes! Anyway, just thought I would share my misfortune. My 2nd engine died in my 2000 S of an IMS failure. The first was the same failure. I am the original owner and now have (had) 197K miles on it and it was in fantastic condition. The first engine blew at 47K miles (replaced under warranty), and now the 2nd with 150K miles on it. My plan was to keep it until the wheels flew off.... I guess a bearing is a bunch of wheels eh?

I don't know what to do.... been checking the options. I will never put another engine in it unless it is something special like a Raby or real well rebuilt one. Cost for this is around $20K and now that I have been perusing the used market, I see there are tons of options out there...... I still don't know what I am going to do.

If you want to see some pics of it at 175K miles click below and note that for the life of the car, I put snows on it each winter and it was in a partially covered car part in center-city Philly for most of its life.

Peace

Bruce

Warning, put on some sunglasses... pics at 175K!

With 175K it sounds like you definitely got your money's worth out of that car. I only hope to do as well. Choices:

Put a used 3.2 back in

Put a 3.6L in there and keep driving

Sell it as a roller

Part it out

From what I can see it has been very well cared for and the fact that you know the entire history of the car has a lot of intangable value. Good luck with your car.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi:

I haven't posted here since 1998!!! Yikes! Anyway, just thought I would share my misfortune. My 2nd engine died in my 2000 S of an IMS failure. The first was the same failure. I am the original owner and now have (had) 197K miles on it and it was in fantastic condition. The first engine blew at 47K miles (replaced under warranty), and now the 2nd with 150K miles on it. My plan was to keep it until the wheels flew off.... I guess a bearing is a bunch of wheels eh?

I don't know what to do.... been checking the options. I will never put another engine in it unless it is something special like a Raby or real well rebuilt one. Cost for this is around $20K and now that I have been perusing the used market, I see there are tons of options out there...... I still don't know what I am going to do.

If you want to see some pics of it at 175K miles click below and note that for the life of the car, I put snows on it each winter and it was in a partially covered car part in center-city Philly for most of its life.

Peace

Bruce

Warning, put on some sunglasses... pics at 175K!

• 1 month later...