Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2004 Turbo buy it or not

I am looking at a 04 turbo with 115k miles. CPO, one owner from the local Porsche dealer. They want 19800 usd for it. What do I need to be concerned about with that kind of mileage? It seems solid runs and rides like a champ. Looking at it for a project vehicle. Thanks in advance.

Without knowledge of the actual unit.

Assume coolant pipes were replaced

Brake Rotors / Pad due but if CPO has to be 50% left same for tires

Drive Shaft ?

Front Struts ?

115k is ok, I know users over 250K

Edited by mudman2

There were quite a few quirks with these 1st gen CTTs....it's almost impossible to list them all

Coolant pipes

waterpump/Tstat housing

starter

coils

front differential

shift solenoid

coolant Tee's

driveshaft

wheel bearings

i wouldn't put too much faith in the CPO inspection....all said and done....anyone with a set of eyes can perform the inspection, and it only really covers the basics.

I bought my CTT with 60k or so for 24k.....so 115k seems kind of high for that price but you are buying from a stealership, so that is expected.

I think you can ask many of us on here, and we all love our CTTs....but it's a hobby to own one more than anything....i typically am doing some sort of nick nack "improvement" on my CTT every weekend or so....maybe not a fix, but an upgrade or check of some sort. I do all my own work, so i've never dealt with stealership prices, but keep that in mind....the upkeep is not as cheap when compared to other SUVs on the road today.

It sounds like you may be able to do wrenching yourself, at which point this may be a good choice for you.....as far as i'm concerned, these are the best bang of the buck SUVs to buy used these days......450hp, decent mpg considering the weight of the car, and plenty of tow capacity for track cars and such....hell i use mine to pull out stumps.

Get some pics up if you do buy it!

I bought my 04CTT for $20k more than a year ago.

I replaced quite a few parts here and there, but nothing major. only big job was related to timing. I calibrated the timing since one bank was off by 15 degree and changed timing chain(call me crazy but the new one is about 1/4" shorter than the old one and one chain guide cracked) as well as whole bunch of other parts (cuz I was there. lol). it costs about $2k for parts and some pizza and beer.

if you could do some research and carry out some mechanic work yourself, you can't go wrong with this truck. if you expect dealer to fix all the problems in the future, I would not touch this car(in fact probably all EU lux cars out of warranty)

hope that helps

Edited by royxaxa

I just flipped 100k on mine..... bought it two years ago with 74K on it.... also bought a warranty for it and immediately had to change the coolant tees and coolant tubes. replaced the pads with ceramics just because, replaced the battery and fixed a leaking vacuum line. I now suspect a bad right front wheel bearing. Other than the propensity for wearing out tires and premium fuel I've thoroughly enjoyed my experience with it. Its a beast in the best possible way.