Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

ABS front "harness" part number

I am replacing my front suspension - and on the passenger side when I removed the ABS harness from the hub the plastic/rubber insulation around the ABS wires crumbled.

I have scoured the parts diagrams online and I cant see a picture of that specific part.

The other end of the wire appears to disappear through the car body toward the front trunk area.

thanks in advance.

• Moderators

Most of the main harness is a single unit, meaning you cannot buy just one section of it. If the wire insulation is intact, you could just rewrap the harness with electrical tape. If the wire insulation itself is gone, you may have to do some splicing with new wire to correct this.

There are a couple of parts involved here. What year and model is your car? There is an ABS speed sensor that plugs into the wheel carrier and has a wire that goes to a connector that also accept the brake sensor wire. Is it the insulation on this wire that has failed?

Then there is a wire/harness that has the connector that accepts the connectors from the ABS speed sensor and the brake pad sensor and goes through the wheel well to the main wiring harness.

Give me some direction and I might be able to help you.

Then there is a wire/harness that has the connector that accepts the connectors from the ABS speed sensor and the brake pad sensor and goes through the wheel well to the main wiring harness.

>> This is the item that I am looking for. It has the two plugs on the wheel end - and it heads up into the trunk area.

The square metal block in the middle of the plastic piece where the cable mounts to the back of the hub was stuck to the post - and would not come away at all. In trying to remove it the rubber/plastic part just crumbled around the square metal block . I have a feeling it had not been removed in 12 years - and being subject to heat from the brakes and water from the road - it just broke up.

The car is a 2000 C4 Cabriolet.

• Admin

I think there is a repair kit for what you want.

Check with your dealer - 996-612-957-00 Repair Kit (wiring harness - abs, brake pad wear indicator, front axle) -- US MSRP $118.14

Be sure to tell them it is a 2000 C4 as the models and years are different. Better yet give them your VIN and the parts system will highlight just the parts that fit your car.

OK - so I have the right piece - Sonnen Porsche in Mill Valley were very helpful.

Now - does anybody have any idea how to install it.?

The one on the car disappears underneath the inner wheel well plastic tub.

Do I have to remove the tub? Seems so - but its not obvious how to do it. Its got lots of fasteners but only a few unscrew - the rest dont seem to have any way to remove them.

Any help appreciated.