Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

My keyless entry stopped working....(list of things I've done)

My keyless entry stopped working....

Things I've done:

- Changed the battery

- Re-solder the button connections

- LED light works and blinks when pressed

What are other things can I do to diagnose this problem before going to a shop or stealership?

Thanks in advance.

You need a new key fob. They die and stop working. Buy a new one on eBay that is brand new and comes with the bar code tab. Take it to Porsche, they'll put your key into it and program it to your car. Do not buy one unless it has the bar code tab or it will be a waste of money. I bought a new one on eBay for $85.00 a few months ago, dealer charged me $65 to program it.

http://www.ebay.com/...da1c900&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/...886dfe0&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-996-C2-C4-1998-2000-Key-Remote-1-Button-NEW-Genuine-/140881673258?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20cd33bc2a&vxp=mtr

Contact Sunset Porsche they usually sell them for ~$130. Local dealer normally charges 1 hour labor to program. Bring any working keys with you they need them to make sure they don't delete a working key. If you only had one, buy two new transmitters and get them both programmed for same price.

Edited by fpb111

http://www.ebay.com/...da1c900&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/...886dfe0&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/...d33bc2a&vxp=mtr

Contact Sunset Porsche they usually sell them for ~$130. Local dealer normally charges 1 hour labor to program. Bring any working keys with you they need them to make sure they don't delete a working key. If you only had one, buy two new transmitters and get them both programmed for same price.

Are you sure this is the exact solution for my exact problem? I just want to make sure before I buy a new key fob that there isn't any other disgnose I should do before I continue towards this route.

I only have one key as of now. I now have to put the key in and turn it to lock/unlock the door.

I will contact Sunset Porsche soon...

Few questions...

- Will I re-use my key blade?

- What other things will I reuse from my old key?

- How much will Porsche charge to program the key?

Thanks for the info.

Interesting approach.

1. Key blade (the metal part) will be reused.

2. The new part will include the key head (black plastic), internal board, and the "pill"

3. If I recall correctly, I paid $125 for programming at a dealer.

You will need a new key head if you do not have the 40 digit code that originally came with the key that you have, if you do have this code, there is a chance that the key can be reprogrammed.

Many threads on here about the key fobs..do a search. You can buy a new key fob from Suncoast Parts for ~$130, transfer the transponder pill and key blade and you may not have to have it reprogrammed. It is mostly the circuit board that goes in the key fob.

Many threads on here about the key fobs..do a search. You can buy a new key fob from Suncoast Parts for ~$130, transfer the transponder pill and key blade and you may not have to have it reprogrammed. It is mostly the circuit board that goes in the key fob.

How will the car know the new transmitter code? Only if the dealer programs it. The code in old pill will only enable the car to start NO HELP for the new TRANSMITTER code.

• 1 year later...

Thought I share this with you.

My Key fob stopped unlocking/locking my 996 convertibles doors + alarm.

The light on the key still flashed but it did not do anything.

Solution: I locked the door by inserting the key and then pushed the lock/unlock button (key still in) and my key started working again.

Hope it helps someone.

Edited by eduardrw_99