Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Driver window does not drop when door handle is opened

I make two guesses. Either your dirver side window regulator has broken or a sensor in you door latch thinks the door isn't being opened. If you open the door and push gently down on the window, does it drop a 1/4" to 1/2". And is this different than what happens if you do the same thing on the passenger side. If so, I'd guess window regulator. In not, then I go with my second guess - door latch.

On my car, I think it happend on both the inner and outer handles. I say think because I open the passenger side door 99% of the time from the outside and just don't remember precisely.

If it happens on both, then I would favor the regulator. If it happens just on one, then I would think its the latch. I'm far less certain of the latter guess because I don't know if the inner and outer handles activate different sensors. I would think a defective latch would trigger some trouble codes, but a broken regulator might not.

• 4 months later...

Mine is drivers side with window not going down both inside handle and outside handle but I can push it down that 1/2 inch.

Is there a DIY link to the window regulator replacement. Anyone ever replace one? When you take the door panel off do you need to disconnect battery because of airbag? Any quality repair shops in Central Florida besides the dealer?

Dealer want's $250 and another $400 for labor for part and Ebay has OEM's for $115

Edited by towney

A lot of info already out there on this issue. If you're interested here is my experience (2002 986...) I tolerated pushing down my driver side for about a year, then the passenger side stopped dropping also :( I had reviewed the "how too's" in the links above in preparation and decided to have a go on a slow January weekend... After removing both door panels I played with the slack on both sides and the "zip tie" method seemed to be working good in my scenario. So, the driver side lasted about two months, I could tell when working on it that it was in much worse shape that the passenger side to begin with. I too wasn't hyped about paying $250+ so I bought the $100 one on ebay. Installed it a couple months ago and is functioning as expected. As a side note, I do use the passenger door every day as I place and retrieve my laptop bag from that side. So far working perfect with the zip tie fix. If you enjoy taking things apart this is an easy "do it yourself".