Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

anyone has some experience with Lucas oil stabilizer on their CTT?

my 04 CTT is 205k Km now

I am thinking about using either 4W40 with Lucas Oil stabilizer or 5W50

It seems that it works very well with some high mileage cars but I do not see any response regarding the application on CTTs

thanks

• Moderators

If you are using a quality full synthetic oil, and the engine is running fine, no additives of any kind are necessary. If the car is showing signs of high mileage (poor leak down values, noise, oil consumption, etc.), no additve is going to help...........

i see what you mean JFP

my CTT engine has a bit of tapping noise and I noticed that on all other CTTs that I've ever seen. maybe 5 of them.

so what about 5W50 oil?I thought thicker oil is better for high mileage engines

I did notice when I switched from M 1 0w40 to Liqui Moly 5W40, my p!g burns far less oil.

thanks

One thing you could do is get a used oil analysis from a place like Blackstone labs. The results will usually tell you if there is a problem that needs to be addressed and if you are using the right oil for the current state of your engine. When you get an analysis from them they usually give you advice about the analysis and tell you if you should be using a different oil.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com

There are other labs as well, but I have had good results from Blackstone.

• Moderators

Before I would jump to a 5W-50 weight oil, I'd try a quality 10W-40 full synthetic, providing your ambient climate is not frigidly cold. The slightly higher "W" weight typically offers a bit better film strength, particularly at start up and low oil pressure situations, such as at idle, which can help with the noise.

I switched to shell helix ultra 5w40 at about 140000km. The engine was a little rough at higher revs on Mobil 1.

Vehicle is now at 221000km and the engine runs smooth as silk.

I change oil and filter every 10000km. Helix ultra is on the approved list I'm fairly sure.

I understand that it's important to use an approved oil especially for the turbos as it has low ash. On the cayenne the engine oil vapor is recycled through the right hand turbo. I recently fixed the seal on the pipe and there was about a liter (no joke) of oil in the pipe! All of which had been through the turbo at some point. (note: draining the pipe is now on my 10000 km service work list).

I still use mobil 1 in my 996tt though. The cayenne seems much more fussy with its oil. The 996 not so.

A mechanic friend of mine who does a lot of Mitsubishis told me the newer ones with variable valve timing are also very fussy about the grade of oil and run a bit rough if it's not the correct viscosity.

The weather is gets really hot here (Christmas day was 40oC) but a 5w50 is way too "thick" for the cayenne's valve timing gear, and there's no need for a zero winter grade as we never get much frost in winter, and definitely no snow!

Cheers!

DS

Darrin, 40 C Christmas is awesome. we just had another 2 inches of snow this afternoon.

my 04CTT hits 200k Km at Christmas night on the highway to Boston, MA. man they have some decent highway there. smooth as butter even when I was doing 150km/h

I've been reading a lot about 5W50 and it seems a lot of turbo guys are using them. plus I think M 1 5W50 is in the approved list.

I change my oil every 8000km, roughly.

thanks for the response guys

Roy

Edited by royxaxa

Remember the -50W portion is for the hot side of the oil so for use in Canada I think I would just go to the Porsche approved 5W-40 from the 0W-40. Has the tapping sound always been there? The injectors do make a fairly loud clicking sound as their Solenoids are being fired.

it could be pretty hot in summer days here in Toronto.

The tapping sound has been there since I have the car. mine is 04 CTT not direct injection so it is a little loud for me. my wife's 03 audi TT is kinda loud too LOL. maybe i am just too picky